Search results

1. Kingshead

Having the hardest time with imaging

Back to imaging. Not that hard to achieve, most speakers will, even cheap ones if properly positioned for the room. It's soundstaging that's difficult to achieve, and this is where quality in design, room treatments, etc play a major role, along with proper placement for the environment of...
  2. Kingshead

Not really, in every situation poor placement will destroy imaging. Take your acoustically perfect room, stack the two speakers one on top of the other in the corner facing the wall, now attempt to get good imaging, it won't matter how expensive the speakers are unless this was their design...
  3. Kingshead

No, it's everthing, I've achieved "decent" imaging from a properly placed box radio. Now if we're talking top "half dozen speakers ever made" imaging, then no. But even the best speakers in the world will fall flat if not positioned properly, placement is everthing. Martin
  4. Kingshead

Speaker placement is everything.
  5. Kingshead

Receiver and Amp nudies! Post them if ya got them!

Another rare amplifier, and it's a beast at around 60 lbs, 200 watts/channel, @8ohms, doubles down into 4ohms, and 800watts bridged so 2ohm stable. Sporting another set of huge cans.
  6. Kingshead

Kenwood Sound!

I'm going with non symmetrical speaker location. Many older recordings had much of the bass content left of center (bass guitarist) with the lead guitar right of center. Reversing the channels could be taking advantage of this. Martin
  7. Kingshead

Isolating "The Rock" KD500

Ditch the arm board for what? No longer any issues, can run the volume up to the 4:00 position driving Heresys to extreme levels along with two powered subs, so not sure there's anything left to gain at this point. Not sure if you've had any experience with a Sorbojel mat but they are...
  8. Kingshead

Ok, I admit that at first I thought the new mat might have narrowed the soundstage, the center image just seemed so much more prominent. But as I listened more critically it became obviously clear what I was hearing wasn't a truncated soundstage. What I was hearing was the soundstage less all...
  9. Kingshead

Any fans of vintage watches?

The construction worker "crowd" is very thick skinned, and if you can't take some friendly ribbing then you don't belong. Martin
  10. Kingshead

Apparently you didn't see where I already installed a set of Vibrapods, I use them under all of my tables, and the problem has already been solved but thank you for your input. Busy at the moment but will be posting about the improvements in SQ the new mat made.
  11. Kingshead

Any fans of vintage watches?

Just like not that long ago you were looked down on if your phone wasn't smaller than a cigarette lighter, now it has to be bigger than a bread box lol. Martin
  12. Kingshead

The lead wasn't really added for its additional mass as much as its deadening properties. If you've ever used a lead mallet you get the idea just how dead lead is. Years ago Dynamat produced a product I believe was called Dynablock or something like that. It came in an aerosol can and when...
  13. Kingshead

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

14. Kingshead

I know some might be thinking "why not just get a table without these issues?", well, all tables have vibrational issues if not sited properly. It's not the tables choice to be placed in a cave, next to a power amp, cable box, modem, router, between two 3/way speakers, and two 12" powered subs...
  15. Kingshead

A lead mat, weighty and about as dead as you can get, sure would like one of those. Martin
  16. Kingshead

You most likely thought I was thinking "well good is good enough" well I wasnt, and it wasn't. The most recent and final step in isolating "The Rock" KD500 DD turntable from Kenwood, the lightweight platter. Even with the heavy original platter mat it was still a source of vibrational issues...
  17. Kingshead

Runaway Bass

Yep, unless willing to go to extreme measures. I've recently started a thread about this subject http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/isolating-the-rock-kd500.731038/#post-9904244 , soon to be updated with the most recent and final step. Martin
  18. Kingshead

Sparkplug wire, chewed or cut?

Living in the mnts in CA I kept finding a nest of threads under my Jeep's hood right on top of the intake manifold. Finally found where the little so and so was getting the material when I noticed a distinct thud on left hand turns. Checked in the back if the Cherokee and found some thread...
  19. Kingshead

Best Looking Receiver of all Time

Not a receiver kind of guy, I've actually never purchased one for myself, but did inherit a Pioneer SX1010 that's pretty sweet, one of these days I might find a use for it. That said, even though I'm more of a vintage kind of guy, I really like the looks of this line of Technics receivers.
  20. Kingshead

Its here, Belles I

When I decided to recap the Dynacos I wanted something with some balls so I went Mallory. Not sure of the site where I found them, but if interested I can check back and see if I can find some info. Martin
  21. Kingshead

SoundTech A1000 amplifier

Some nudes of the inside, large caps rivaling those in the Belles, but only 15,000uf each vs 33,000 for the Belles. Funny as the Belles is only rated at 100watts/channel? Huge tranny, even bigger than the Belles by a good bit, no wonder this thing weighs so much. The caps are so large they look...
  22. Kingshead

SoundTech A1000 amplifier

Owned one of these for many yrs, drove a pair of built in passive subs for my HT setup. Never used it for anything else so really never tested it for real musicality. This amp is a beast, must be more than 50lbs. 200watts/channel into 8ohms, and actually doubles down into 4ohms making...
  23. Kingshead

Its here, Belles I

Just reopened the amp for another look. Mallorys, same that I used in the Dynacos. No small caps for my amps, these went into my ST-120s. This is the cap, 33,000 each for a whopping total of 66,000 in the Belles, check the physical dimensions lol. click picture to enlarge Part Number...
Back
Top Bottom