Search results

1. Thocom

DCM Time Frame comparison

I remember a couple of years ago on here someone had a pair of 2000’s in SF, CA that no one would buy. He ended up giving to someone that paid the shipping. ‘I had the TF1000s at the time, but wished I had a to hear them
  2. Thocom

Anyone Like Dynaudio Speakers?

I have a pair of bookshelf Dynaudio speakers in my office, I think they are great
  3. Thocom

Boston Acoustics A200 crossover cap question

yes, they are original. Again, I swapped them and the brightness remained in the cabinet with the swapped cap. I’m at about 99% that’s it’s the Audyn caps causing the drastic difference in sound
  4. Thocom

Thanks. That’s was what I was wondering about. I’ve ordered some other caps so will see what sounds best. The tweeter (highs) are overpowering the sound. It sounds like, on speakers that have high and low L-pads, when to turn the low to minimum and high to maximum. That’s the best way I can...
  5. Thocom

yeah, me either, but I guess we are going to find out. Lol But in all seriousness, this film cap changed the sound of this tweeter more than any other recap I have ever done to a crossover. It’s made the high frequency overpowering
  6. Thocom

no, it’s the cap/crossover. When swapping it with the other speaker, the results remain in the modified crossover circuit maybe “shrill” is a bit extreme adjective.. bright may be a better description. I’m going to try adding a 10W resistor. At this point I ordered the Dayton caps to replace...
  7. Thocom

Yes, the 6uF electrolytic bi-polar cap that’s in the tweeter circuit was failed. There is only one in the tweeter circuit. It was a wide open. There are 4 others in the crossover, I haven’t changed any of those. Before I spend a lot of ti e and money, I wanted to see if these speakers would work...
  8. Thocom

A friend gave me a pair of A200 speakers recently that’s are in very good cosmetic condition, just needing a refoam. I finished that last night and tested them out today hoping they may be a suitable match for tube amps (I have Cornwalls for low wattage tube gear listening, but am always looking...
  9. Thocom

Mystery speakers

I’m sure they are good, they are film caps, usually don’t fail but who knows. The first is a Solen cap, it’s 2.5 UF at 400V. which is a pretty good quality cap. kind of odd all those other caps are tied together. Just add them up and it will tell you what value it is. your ohm meter won’t...
  10. Thocom

To be Audix 1a or not to be..

I have a pair of audix speakers, the Nile V great near field monitors. Kevlar seas 7” driver, one has blown, really wish I could find a replacement
  11. Thocom

"As the glue dries..." Post up your refoam jobs!

Foam, foam and cone…
  12. Thocom

Sony SS-M 3,7,9 speaker owner role call

I suspect everyone on this thread is laughing at you..
  13. Thocom

Well, that was worth reading for the laugh
  14. Thocom

Along with the matching center channel: SS-M1CN
  15. Thocom

Since I originally posted on this thread, a pair of M9’s followed me home. They really are next level.
  16. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Happy with the outcome of these two:
  17. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Just adding some feet. Some 1/2” o-rings. 8/32 cap head screws and some cheap feet I tapped.
  18. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Done. A couple more caps to arrive so both amps are identical. I still have some very weird voltages on the second amp that I need to chase down, although it sounds really good to my ears. I’ll swap the tubes with amp 1 just to see what changes.. then double check my soldering and connections...
  19. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

One of my amps came with this 22uF 450V e-cap in this location vs a 10uF. I’m not sure if that is in a schematic I’ve yet to see, or it’s one of the hints and tricks? It was an older paper (actually 20uF) one seem to be original to the amp.. I just replaced it with the same to stay consistent...
  20. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

actually, no, I’m using the 117 tap as it was wired. I will probably be switching them both over
  21. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

As suspected, I had some issues of my own doing in the preamp socket where it’s used as a tie in for some of the grounds. I just took it apart and wired to the schematic. It wasn’t how the original was, but it’s running now, close to perfect voltages.. heaters a little high, but I suspect when I...
  22. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Well, the 2nd MC30 was going as the first, happy with the project. They look like they just rolled out of Binghamton NY.. The first one sounds awesome, couldn’t ask for better, really happy with it. Voltages are all spot on. second one? Of course I’m running into issues. The heater voltage is...
  23. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Thanks. Appreciate the links. interesting. With the inductors, do you just remove the resistor and put that in the path? I will have to check that mod out, I have seen a few others do that. I hear what your saying about taking the plunge to swap the chassis. I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t...
  24. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

Any of you fine people know where I can find a convenience receptacle for Mcintosh? Wondering what the official term for it is? “panel receptacle”? its 3/4” x 1/2”
  25. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

True to form, I’m reading 122V this morning on my Panamax power conditioner.. Edit: and 115V that evening!
Back
Top Bottom