Search results

1. Thocom

Boston Acoustics A200 crossover cap question

A friend gave me a pair of A200 speakers recently that’s are in very good cosmetic condition, just needing a refoam. I finished that last night and tested them out today hoping they may be a suitable match for tube amps (I have Cornwalls for low wattage tube gear listening, but am always looking...
  2. Thocom

MC30 new chassis project

I had a few REALLY bad MC30 amps. They sound good, but you will need a tetanus shot just looking at them. Anyway, I wanted to log my progress and this seems like a good place for that. I actually have one migrated to the new chassis and it sounds pretty good, although I need to chase down...
  3. Thocom

Riveting thread

Excuse the pun, couldn’t help myself. :) I posted in the Mcintosh forum as well, but this falls under a lot of DIY projects.. anyway, I have a few cosmetically challenged (very challenged!) tube amps that I purchased replacement chassis for, MC30s to be exact. The seller supplied various means...
  4. Thocom

MC30 Resistor question

Looking over a recently acquired MC30 (S/N 11128) and trying to determine the values on the 2, 2W resistors that are normally 12K on just about every schematic I have seen. I haven’t been able to find a schematic with a 20 uF 50V electrolytic in that position either. these two are just...
  5. Thocom

Which MC30 schematic

Hi all, can anyone point me in the right direction. Not sure what the s/n is on this amp, but I picked up another mc30 and is different from my other one. See the one on the bottom of pic (my amp I’ve had for a while) The one above (original) is what I’m looking for the schematic for? thanks
  6. Thocom

SS~M9 finally a pair showed up

I’ve been waiting for a pair of these to show up within driving range for a few years now.. it’s been an event getting them this far. Just need to hire some help getting them downstairs to the listening area. These suckers are HEAVY! Bonus: there was a matching center channel too.
  7. Thocom

Is this a common speaker cabinet

I got this from my elderly neighbors estate. This speaker cabinet is incredibly high quality. It’s also beautiful. I do not know if this speaker would sound good since the 15” bass driver seems dead. Tweeter and horn is working and, there’s only one. Is this what they call a “Barzilay...
  8. Thocom

Marantz 7 recap

Finally got around to installing the new power supply caps in this Marantz 7. Have to hand it to Hayseed Hamfest, they make a very good quality replacement. Just tell them what unit it’s for and they supply the 3 multi caps, more reasonable then other brands. I’m very happy with the results...
  9. Thocom

Is this a speaker

I’m at a loss, could it be a speaker?
  10. Thocom

Anyone driving from Chicago to NY/NJ anytime soon

Looking to pony express the Ohm F speakers up on BT? Willing to pay your gas for the trip? Thanks!
  11. Thocom

Turntable identification

Was watching last weeks episode of “The Circus” on Showtime and Alex was doing a piece from inside her home. Looks like a Really solid turntable behind her. Anyone know the model? Can’t identify the shelf speaker either.
  12. Thocom

MX122 Random static issue

Hello, Wondering if anyone else has run into an issue like this on a Mac home theater processor: Sometimes when in operation, it will randomly go into a VERY loud static garbled audio sound. I have to reach behind the unit and wiggle the HDMI cable from the source and it immediately goes...
  13. Thocom

Wireless surround options

Hi, I finished my basement back in the 5.1 channel days of HT, therefore only ran two pair of wires to the rear/surround end of the room. I just picked up an Atmos processor and was wondering if some of you are using any sort of wireless option for rear channels? I’d like to at least run a pair...
  14. Thocom

15” driver cone source RCF L15P-200A

Anyone know where I can pick up a set of cones and voice coils for these speakers: RCF L15P - 200A I’m thinking of trying my hand at re-coning them. I don’t really have anything to put them in at the moment, but I may build something. I’ve done a pair of D130’s before, but’s that’s it. thanks
  15. Thocom

Salamander rack nut

Anyone know what you call this type of fastener/nut? It’s used for the top shelf in flexi racks. better yet, know where to buy them? thanks in advance. I believe I need a 5/8”
  16. Thocom

Shout out to Angel17

Great guy to deal with. Could have hung out all day and listened to gear and talked! in all the years I’ve been an AK member, I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t realize this feedback forum even existed! Lol.
  17. Thocom

Mcintosh green colored film

Anyone know the actual color green film they use in the Mcintosh logo? Maybe where they sell it? I went to Michael’s craft store and didn’t see anything. I’ll try Hobby Lobby this week. I’m doing an arts and crafts project with my son’s vinyl printer.
  18. Thocom

JBL L100 capacitor suggestions

I’m going to recap a pair of JBL L100s and have a choice of a two different caps I happen to have: The red are Audyn Q4 caps in 8.2 uF and 3.3 uF The black are Solen caps in 8.2 uF and 3.0 uF. Has anyone compared these brands in this particular speaker? I read in an old thread where Zilch said...
  19. Thocom

JBL plant stand repair

This stuff really works! Thanks to a few threads on AK for the info. Five minutes, a couple applications of bar keepers, some elbow grease with a scotch-brite pad and a sponge and there’s no way to tell these had a black water ring on them. Looking forward to finishing them now. Light sanding...
  20. Thocom

Magnepan MGIII external crossover help

Hi, I picked up my first pair of Magnepan speakers the other day. They look to be in excellent condition, including the tweeter. They had been stored with the magnetic covers. Unfortunately, the external crossovers have been misplaced. I have the guy looking for them, but the placed is packed...
  21. Thocom

Original Advent: to Econowave or not

Are these version of the Advents a suitable econowave Project? Masonite ring 10” driver. They are 100% functional (obviously need a re-foam, which is on the way). They are in perfect cosmetic condition as well. I guess what I am asking is... would you? I hate to destroy a great speaker...
  22. Thocom

Imaging quality- Ohm Walsh 2s going down a rabbit hole..

I picked up these Ohm Walsh 2s over the holiday from my buddy’s father in law (among other things he picked up while in Vietnam in the early 70s) Comparing them to a pair of speakers I feel have the best sound stage/imaging (Sony SS-M7s) of any speaker I have ever owned. I’m really hooked on...
  23. Thocom

Fixed! my MC240 won’t power up all of the sudden

Weird, I thought my power strip was flaking out, it didn’t power up, than I switched plugs and it worked. Now, not at all. Tubes aren’t glowing, but the fuse is good. Passes the dim bulb test. I had rebuilt the power supply section and replaced all electrolytics on this amp a couple of years...
  24. Thocom

Marantz 7 PS recap

I suppose I should have done this from the get go, but it’s time to recap this preamp. (It motor boated when I turned it on last time). I caught it immediately and shut it down. I see there’s some sellers on eBay that sell kits, I may go that way. I’ve also sent a request to Hayseed Hamfest to...
  25. Thocom

Account question

Sorry if this isn’t in the correct section for this question, feel free to move it if it’s not. I was wondering if it is possible to change my account/screen name for AK without loosing any of my data, conversations, etc.. if so, how? Thanks! Tom
Back
Top Bottom