Search results

1. J

Official Kef LS50 owners thread

I use Tidal as my main source, playing around with their search engine to try the Kefs sub-less, found an old Pink Floyd album that I had on vinyl many years ago (Wish you were here). Forget what song, but at one point made something in my room shake, via bass from just the Kefs!
  2. J

Good to hear, I'm excited to try the new MiniDSP.
  3. J

If you are using this for 2 channel, you may not need a sub for that. The trick is to move the Kefs closer to the back wall. For years I had mine way out in my 12 x 15 fully treated room, and used dual subs. Rearranged the speakers to get better bass, and pulled the two Rythmik subs. Now they...
  4. J

This video was posted over on the AVS KEF thread, starring John Darko, who is a big time LS50/w fan:
  5. J

The one thing I miss with my old Maggies, that the KEFs can't do, is the whole backwave thing. Earlier this year, I pulled out my old modded MMGs, and propped them up to the height of what a new 1.7 would be. The resolution couldn't touch the KEFs, but still love that Maggie di-pole sound. I may...
  6. J

I had been high passing the KEFs for a while now, with a MiniDSP digital box ahead of the DAC, and a multi-channel preamp. Recently change the pre to a 2 channel W4S mPRE, to match the pair of mAMPs I use. Ditched the MiniDSP unit up front, also the iFi tube buffer, kept in the Schiit Loki EQ...
  7. J

Welcome Nick. Over at AVS you mentioned you had got a Dirac unit, have you had a chance to play with that yet? Was it a no-go?
  8. J

Cool. I have sorta the same setup. Using a PC to Raspberry Pi / HiFi Berry HAT streamer into a MiniDSP NanoDiGI as a EQ and crossover, with the same mike and REW program. Does the KEF LS50W allow you to high pass at different setting? For folks who don't want DSP, but could use a little EQ...
  9. J

LOL, I could of bought a pair of LS50Ws for what I spent on my new W4S amps, and had an extra pair of speakers left over! ;) But for some reason KEF will only give a one year warranty on the electronics of the W, I got 5 years on my mAMPs. I could see how they would be a great fit for some...
  10. J

Guess I should follow up on my thread on the last page regarding Belden 8402 / Switchcraft RCA interconnects. I made three sets of these, plus one set of Belden 8402 balanced, using the G&H XLR connectors from Best-Tronics. All installed in the KEF analog signal chain. After 200+ hours, I felt...
  11. J

About a month ago I changed my KEFs location, took them off the subs, back on stands, but set up using the "Rule of Thirds" 29% method. This moved the speakers about a foot or so closer to the front wall (had them set up via the Cardas method before) and a little closer together. Gained a bit of...
  12. J

That's how I bought mine, but went for the free financing instead. Speakers were broken in before the first payment was due. :) There is a recent thread over at AA regarding how manufacturers screw their dealers, and the KEF LS50 on line sale was linked. Neither here nor there as far as I'm...
  13. J

They might just still be breaking in.
  14. J

Clueless & exhausted - new system rec under $1500-2K? :)

Look at the KEF LS50W. It's a small speaker set that has the amplifier, preamp etc. built into it. If you use Tidal as a streaming source, all you need is the Ethernet connection. Or you can add any other music source now or later. They are sold on line (Amazon,etc.) or at local KEF dealers...
  15. J

Good to hear, I ordered the parts today (from btpa /markertek), also will follow the recipe from that blog. Plan is to replace all three cable sets from DAC to Loki mini to iTube to preamp with the 8402s, and let them settle in. If I feel the detail is lost too much, could always throw back in...
  16. J

Rich, I noticed on an old Audio Circle thread you had the Belden 8402 interconnects. Have you tried them with your Kefs? I'm thinking about whipping up a few pairs to compare with the Homegrown audio silver ICs I use now. I also just bought a Schiit Loki mini, to use as an inline loudness...
  17. J

The upgraded W4S cords look pretty nice, but also might be too stiff. I have to do two tight u-turns to get from the receptacle to the amps. https://www.wyred4sound.com/products/p-1-ultra-power-cables/p-1-ultra-power Think I will try one of these, appears to be basically what I am using, but...
  18. J

I'll check that out. Right now using Mogami 3103 speaker cable (w/ Audioquest crimp-on BFAs), Mogami 2549 for balance cables, and short diy Homegrown Audio silver RCA interconnects. When the amps get broken in, will see where I need to go from there. Have folks here that have used D amps...
  19. J

Yes they are Wyred4Sound class D amps that use third gen ICE modules. So far I am pleased, but nowhere near the end of the recommended break-in period. The manufacturer states 200-300 hours are needed. Due to cable and rack changes (and other distractions), I spent all last week getting them set...
  20. J

Got a couple new amps to use on the LS50s. Hopefully will be able to get them setup in the next few days, and see if they are as good a match as that reviewer John Darko says they are.;) They are small enough that I can move the amp location out of the amp closet on the front wall (where the old...
  21. J

Nice. Those stands fit the ISOs perfectly. In a 12' x 15' room (guess you will convert this to meters? :)) The LS50s are 4' 6" from one of the short wall to the back of the speaker (some call this the "front wall"). But I have QRD diffusion across the wall, so that makes the speakers around 3'...
  22. J

Quite the impressive collection, which one sounds the best with your KEFs? Here's my current setup. Because my listening spot is at a desk, tilting the speakers up 6 degrees, aiming over it helps alot with the sound. I've also recently added some diy BAD curved panels, mounted over the back...
  23. J

I may go to Tidal later. I added a Chromecast Audio to the downstairs system and signed my wife on to the Spotify family plan. I think she has used it...once :idea:. So if she doesn't use her end, it would be not that much of a jump from $15 to $20 a month. But a family plan on Tidal ($30?) is...
  24. J

Welcome back Art, hope things go well moving forward. I was a late adopter of Spotify (Premium), but now really enjoy the ease of being able to "rent" music, using a Raspberry Pi. Not sure if the new LS50 actives will do Spotify, that would be a nice compact solution.
  25. J

Logitech Squeezebox

Another option for the Squeezebox is to build a Raspberry Pi, with a HiFiBerry HAT (either the DAC version, or the digital output version), and then run the PiCoreplayer program, which will show up on your Logitech Media Server as another player. You can control it via the LMS on the PC, or...
Back
Top Bottom