Search results

1. Flabio

Realistic/Shure 6X & 8X Stylii

Does anyone know the difference between the two? Specification wise they look the same to me. The reason I ask is I have an old Realistic R1000xt that came with a trashed 8X stylus and I'd like to get it going again and hear how it originally sounded. The 8X used to be available from one of the...
  2. Flabio

My Trusty Marantz 67se

Appears to be biting the dust after a couple decades of heavy use. It's increasingly having trouble reading discs when loaded into the player. Some discs it seems to read fine, others it won't recognize at all. There are a number of reasons I'd like to keep this player, not just because of the...
  3. Flabio

Spica TC-50

Stereophile got it right with that review. I've owned a pair for 20 years and plan to take them to the grave. Back in the day it was a cheapskate audiophile thing to pair these with NHT sealed subs like the Sub Two I've got, and run the Spicas with a Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amp (which were super...
  4. Flabio

Your Last Concert (or two)

Ike Reilly and Johnny Hickman (Cracker) at the Lost Church in San Francisco, a fun and funky little non-profit gem of a joint. They both played their own songs but it was mostly Ike Reilly's show, which was OK by me since I consider him a national treasure. They're done with the west coast and...
  5. Flabio

NHT Subwoofer Repair?

I don't know where you live, but if you're near the SF bay area NHT has their headquarters in Benicia. I know this because I have been there to have my beloved NHT Sub Two looked at after my son smoked the amp during a party. This was a few years ago, but they were very helpful, diagnosed and...
  6. Flabio

2018 New Release spins

With a description like that I had to listen. Likey!
  7. Flabio

Cover version that you like better than the original?

I say the full on apocalyptic Rage treatment fits this Springsteen tune.
  8. Flabio

Slick as snot 80's production, which is not my usual cup of tea, but it works this time. Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar.
  9. Flabio

I once got the big rock station KSAN to play that as a request. Those were the days!
  10. Flabio

Steve Hackett at the UC Theater Berserkley 2/22. Great show, first half solo stuff, second half all Genesis, including Suppers Ready. The band was great and Steve is on top of his game. They have singer with them that oddly sounds like Peter Gabriel on the early stuff and Phil Collins on the...
  11. Flabio

Songs that if you hear them again you will scream

Hah! That reminds me, around the time that song was hit, at a Patti Smith concert she asked the crowd for requests and waited until someone shouted for this song as a joke. The band went into a straight up cover version and the crowd obliged with lighters. Patti always did have a sense of humor...
  12. Flabio

Today's Glam Playlist

Be-Bop Deluxe: Axe Victim
  13. Flabio

I've always suspected the cowboy Village Person was actually a moonlighting Captain Beefheart....
  14. Flabio

How could a song about sex be so bad?
  15. Flabio

Seems to me some songs are inherently awful, while others become awful through repetition. This song is in the former category (Henry Kissinger had the right idea): And this one the latter:
  16. Flabio

Today's Bay Area Playlist

17. Flabio

Todays 70's-80's Punk,post punk, new wave, alternative playlist

Wow, wish I still had that, and Cupol too. Heavy on the bass as I recall but the memory is fuzzy indeed!
  18. Flabio

Randy Newman

I've liked Randy Newman for a long time and fortunately (for me) he played a concert in my home town in the local community theater. It's an out of the way and unfashionable town and we usually get Abba tribute bands and the like, but Newman said he liked the vibe of the old renovated theater...
  19. Flabio

Name the Band You Hate?

Anything my sister listened to when we were teenagers.
  20. Flabio

"Trick or Treat!" Halloween playlist

I always like to play this from an open upstairs window. The older trick or treaters often comment on it, "cool music" or some such. The little ones just look scared.
  21. Flabio

San Francisco String Trio at the Freight and Salvage, Berserkely for a CD release "party". Mads Tolling on Violin, Mimi Fox on guitar and Jeff Denson on bass doing jazzy versions of songs from Sgt. Peppers. I was not thrilled by the idea of it, especially on a work night, but I took one for the...
  22. Flabio

Bands you didn't think you'd like?

I would definitely give that honor to The Clash.;) I thought the odds of me liking a bunch of preppy east coast college kids playing their idea of afro/world beat music was about zero, but my daughter forced me to listen to Vampire Weekend on a long drive and that was that.
  23. Flabio

Your Favourite Song from The Above Artist?

Band Camp The Mekons
  24. Flabio

Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

I had one those. Really sounded amazing, with the guitars and Rotten jumping out of the speakers and punching you in the face. The US lps and cds just sound dull and muddy to me. I've got a 1964 version of "Blind Joe Death" by John Fahey, with humorous booklet. Based on condition it's in the...
Back
Top Bottom