Search results

1. eickmewg

Topping D30 lost channel

As per the title, my D30 has lost its left channel. I took out the board and see a number of test points on the pcb but of course I have no idea what they represent without a repair manual. It is about three years old and was very inexpensive so it won't be a great loss, but if I can restore...
  2. eickmewg

Weber copper cap rectifiers?

Seems like at the Weber site, all the copper cap rectifiers are listed as out of stock. Have they stopped making these?
  3. eickmewg

"High-fidelity" vs. "emotional" amplifiers?

I recently built a 300B amplifier, an Elekit TU-8600S. I like the amplifier and the 300B tubes throw a very expansive sound stage. I was, however, surprised to hear that Victor Kung, Elekit guru, doesn't consider the TU-8600S to be a "high-fidelity" amp but rather it is an "emotional" amp. As...
  4. eickmewg

New amp kit build: Elekit TU-8600S

I have wanted to try a 300B amp and about 3 years ago, the Elekit TU-8600 caught my eye. I hemmed and hawed and on the heals of an Elekit TU-8500 tube preamp build that went well, I decided to take the plunge. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't swing the Lundahl output transformer...
  5. eickmewg

Elekit TU-8500 build

I got to hankering to do another construction project, and being a fan of Elekit products, I opted to do a TU-8500 tube preamp. I ordered a kit from Tube Depot using the 15% discount for signing up. A concern was whether a set of English instructions would be included. I found a set online...
  6. eickmewg

FM signal detected on Jupiter's moon, Ganymede

So, anybody pick it up yet on their super tuner? I hope it is jazz and not rap.:)
  7. eickmewg

Magnavox 9304 EFB (LM337?) malfunction?

I have a Magnavox 9403 that has received the full Gillespie rebuild treatment. I have several tube amps, so the 9304 is used somewhat infrequently. Yesterday I put it into the system. It sounded good but two issues developed over time. The first thing I noticed was an odor which was coupled...
  8. eickmewg

Elekit TU-8200 vs. TU-8600

A few years back I built a TU-8200 that I have enjoyed a great deal. It was my first foray into SE tube amps after having PP amps for quite awhile. I recently had some issues with the TU-8200 and with help from Elekit guru, Victor Kang, it is back to full function. This got me thinking about...
  9. eickmewg

Dynaco FM3 Issues

I have a Dynaco FM3. I replaced cap can with an FM3zone capacitor board. I took the opportunity to twist some of the connectors to the volume pot which involved desoldering and resoldering connections to the stereo/mono-volume pot. I am now experiencing the following faults/symptoms: With the...
  10. eickmewg

Parts Express C-Note speaker kit

Anyone build a set of these? Experiences and evaluations?
  11. eickmewg

Klipsch Heresy's Nashville

Local CL offering: Heresy HBR's from 1982. Consecutive serial numbers: 130W184 and 130W185. Condition looks good in the photos. Asking $775. Reasonable? Thanks. They are probably only a mile or two away.
  12. eickmewg

The mental light bulb flashed; the $0 passive preamp

A few years back I got a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamp kit. Since then I have made a few modifications. I added a second set of RCA outputs. Put in Mundorf output caps and a delay module. Finally I got a nice ALPS volume pot and little PCB for it. I decided to try a passive...
  13. eickmewg

Ripping CD's and expensive CD transports

So, I've ripped a number of my favorite CD's to my laptop. Awhile ago, I invested in a Cambridge Audio CXC transport. This got me thinking (always a dangerous thing to do.) The transport does a fine job of reading Red Book CD's and sending data to the DAC. But I realize that I am...
  14. eickmewg

807 experiment

I have tried a number of power tubes in my Elekit TU-8200DX. I read somewhere a suggestion to try 807 tubes. Got some socket converters and a couple of old RCA 807 tubes that date to the late 40's. This amp was designed around a 6L6GC tube and optimized for SEUL operation so the 807 seemed a...
  15. eickmewg

Shuguang CV181-Z "Mullard flash?"

I put my CV181-Z tube back in the center position on my Latino VTA ST 120 amp replacing a 12BH7 I've been using for quite a while. When turned on I noticed a brief flash at the base of the tube that looks exactly like the well-known "Mullard flash." I do not recall this behavior the last time...
  16. eickmewg

Volume/attenuator position conventions

So, why is it that full attenuation on a volume pot is typically set at "7 o'clock?" Seems like it could be put anywhere so there must be some rational basis for this typical convention. If so, why?
  17. eickmewg

Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 equivalent?

Grace Digital appears to no longer produce the GDI-IRDT200. I got one rather inexpensively a few years back and I have found it to be a very useful component. I can access my digital music files via WIFI and it has Pandora accessibility built in. If this ever breaks, what would be an...
  18. eickmewg

6L6GC: pentode or beam tetrode?

I'm trying to understand the 6L6GC tube structure and power ratings. Some tube data sheets state it is a beam tetrode and others state it is a pentode. Some diagrams clearly show 3 grids, others only 2. It seems any tube labelled a 6L6GC should be constructed in a similar way. Further, some...
  19. eickmewg

Output capacitor direction? Does it matter?

So, this is a new one for me. It seems there are preferred installation directions for certain capacitors. The V-Cap site says: When used in amplifiers, outer foil should be connected towards the plate of first stage. I recently put some Mundorf EVO aluminum and oil capacitors as output...
  20. eickmewg

Elekit TU-8200 kit impressions?

The reviews I have read are all positive for the TU-8200. Has anyone built one of the kits and if so, what are your construction experiences and have you been pleased with the performance? I would probably be using KT88 power tubes for this amp. TIA for any information and advice. Bill
  21. eickmewg

300B SET vs. PP EL84 sonics?

I've become interested in a 300B SET. I have a Magnavox 9300-series PP EL84/6BQ5 amp good for about 12 wpc. Seems 300B amps go 8-10 wpc. I am using POLK SRS SDA 2.3 92 dB efficiency speakers and the Magnavox does fine on them volume wise. I expect the 300B would also fit the speakers, my...
  22. eickmewg

An audiophile riddle

This one's for Mr. Pig: How are SS and tube audiophiles like chickens and pigs, respectively, for an egg and bacon breakfast? The SS guy is involved but the tube guy is committed.
  23. eickmewg

Finally a difference I can hear

Over the years I've accumulated several preamps and amplifiers. I've always been surprised that all this gear sounds pretty much alike in various combinations. Lately I've been using a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamp with 12AU7 tubes I built from a kit with a Latino VTA ST120 also kit...
  24. eickmewg

Output cap value and frequency response?

I have a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamp. Very early on after completing the kit, I decided to change out the low-quality output caps. After some research, I decided to use some Russsian K40-y 9 PIO caps. From Troels Gravesen's cap evaluations with the grounded grid it appeared I...
  25. eickmewg

Short-term tube amp swap in Nashville?

If anybody is interested, I'd like to try a nice single-ended amp in my system. I would be happy to work out a short-term swap. I could swap either a very nice Magnavox 9300-series EL84, good for about 12 wpc, or a Yaqin MC 30-L, good for about 45 wpc in ultralinear or half in triode mode. I...
Back
Top Bottom