Search results

1. Rex81

SEATTLE! Infinity IRS Sigmas on eBay for $50 no reserve!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Infinity-IRS-Sigma-4-Way-Loudspeakers-Tested-Local-Pickup-Only/312572998536?hash=item48c6cd7388:g:yfEAAOSwvQdctKrY Good luck! :thumbsup:
  2. Rex81

Latest project - Converted antique console radio into bluetooth speaker

Hey all, just thought some might be interested in my latest project of converting an antique console radio into a modern "lifestyle" system. I came across this radio on craigslist. The tube tuner/amp was blown and the guy had it sitting in his garage. So I took it home, gutted it and got to...
  3. Rex81

My new RS II and experimenting with a 4 lb amp

I figured I’d start my own thread for this one. As stated in a previous thread, I mentioned I was on the lookout for some RS II’s, and sure enough Goodolpg alerted me to a pair for sale an hour away. Thanks again, bud! I picked them up from Misfitz Audio in Grand Rapids, Michigan. If you ever...
  4. Rex81

My AR-3a restore

I know there are a ton of these threads out there, but we never seem to get tired of reading about a new one, so here's another for you. I got these from a local AKer who just didn't have the time to get to these. I've never owned or heard a pair so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about...
  5. Rex81

New JBL LSR305 powered monitors $200/pr

I’ve been extremely impressed with the sound out of these things. In my opinion, they’re the best deal in new audio gear out there right now at their regular price. This sale saves you $100. Free shipping too. If you have balanced outputs or you don’t mind adapting to RCA, these are great...
  6. Rex81

Schiit Magni and Magni Uber headphone amps on Amazon for $60 and $80

Nearly half price for these very popular headphone amps, direct from Schiit with free shipping. Don't see that very often. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCBKPW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=363372b8b43c11e79136aeddf160804c0INT&smid=A2MQBWZ25GS6JU&psc=1...
  7. Rex81

Help me diagnose low output from Ohm Walsh 3

One speaker has about half the output of the other. I checked everything on the line side: switched out source, swapped channels, amps, interconnects, speaker cables. It's definitely an issue in the one speaker. So I then cleaned the bass, treble, and perspective switches on the bottom. Of...
  8. Rex81

2000A currently available

In case anyone is looking to add to their collection... You don't see these come up very often. Especially in this condition. I can't comment on the price because I've never heard them and don't recall ever seeing them for sale, let alone know what anyone would pay for them...
  9. Rex81

Added a nice set of Column II to the collection

A few years ago I did a full top to bottom restoration on a pair of WTLC and I've loved them ever since. With that in mind, a friend of mine said I should keep an eye out for a pair of Column II because they have a similar sound character to the WTLC but the bass goes lower and hits harder (he...
  10. Rex81

Everything you need to restore a set of legendary Ohm F

*I want to preface this by saying this isn't technically a "restore" thread, because I'm not going to take you through every step in the process and I don't have pretty pictures to show either. I just want to get some info out there in the hopes that more of these wonderful speakers can be saved...
  11. Rex81

Price check: JBL L250

These are the original L250, not the 250Ti. Excellent condition, all original, recent refoam. What’s a reasonable price to pay for these? Are they inflated right now like some of the other JBLs, or are they considered a good sound quality/price ratio? Also, would you consider these a...
  12. Rex81

Full Tidal MQA streaming available with Bluesound Node

There's been a lot of talk in the audiophile world over this weekend of Tidal bringing MQA streaming to the masses. Tidal reports that it's only streaming MQA through its desktop browser app and shows about 200 albums available. I'd like to report that Bluesound (and NAD) users can get full...
  13. Rex81

Ohm F – factory placement of putty inside the cone?

I’m doing a full restore on a beautiful set of Ohm Fs, and I’d like to get them as close to they were when they left the factory. All I’ve got left to do is replace the putty/clay on the inside of the titanium section of the cone. I’m quite certain the material is simply Mortite, of which you...
  14. Rex81

Ohm F with $10 chip amp. What's going on?

Ohm F owners, please chime in… I recently acquired a working set of Ohm Fs. They’re not fully restored but they have new foam surrounds and the spider is only very slightly sagging. I plan to do some more tweaking with placement, and some other things, but for now, they sound great. I think...
  15. Rex81

Should I install my NOS volume pot in my 800B?

After keeping my eyes open for over a year and attempting to purchase one on Bartertown with no luck, I finally took my chances and pulled the trigger on an 800B off ebay. It arrived safe and sound and didn't look too bad. Even has all original Fisher tubes. I took it to my tech and we...
  16. Rex81

What's your favorite smelling vintage speaker?

So here's a weird one: Which vintage speaker smells great to you? I've had a few pairs of 70s and 80s speakers come through that smell great! Something about the materials used (likely the particle board or the veneer) just generates a very pleasing smell to me, even after all these years...
  17. Rex81

Tidal FINALLY offers Chromecast support for iPhone!

I can't believe it. After what, 18 months? But it's true. The Cast button is there. And this is one week after I finally gave up on my Chromecast Audio for my Apple Airport Express to use Airplay. I spent 2 hours running a dedicated 50' ethernet cable from my router into my basement...
  18. Rex81

Anybody in Michigan work on Beograms?

Might be a long shot, but I'm desperately trying to find someone to help my sick B&O Beogram 8002. It began having intermittent issues so I replaced the caps and re-soldered the joints. Now it doesn't do anything but show the speed on the display. Ive gone through it 3 times and can't find the...
  19. Rex81

2226B - How to REALLY clean or possibly bypass pesky Tape Monitor switch

My beloved 2226B has been on the fritz recently. I was getting reduced output/distortion in the right channel so I opened it up and cleaned everything thoroughly (for the 2nd time in 2 months). Seemed to help. Then a couple days later it came back. I know the Tape Monitor switch is often the...
  20. Rex81

iPhone internal DAC sufficient or should I be looking at Airport Express + external DAC?

I’m currently streaming Tidal hifi (lossless CD quality) on my iPhone 6 into a high quality 3.5mm to RCA aux cable into my Marantz 2226B receiver as a preamp to a Crown XLS 1500 amp to a pair of Polk SDA 2B. I’m very happy with the sound quality. And the aux cord is plenty convenient. I’m not...
  21. Rex81

Well, I made my first big audio mistake...

Ready? I put LEDs in my 2226B. :D Why does anyone do this? Why did I think it would be any better than that beautiful warm blue from the original bulbs? I guess there was something about low heat, long lasting... Not worth it. This purple monstrosity must be tamed. The LEDs are coming out...
  22. Rex81

Old Realistic driver ID help, please

I bought a few boxes of old drivers recently, and I'm having a little trouble identifying some of them. This pair is my first mystery. Definitely an oldie. Paper surround, made in USA. But remarkably good condition. I've looked up the designation code online (40-1342) without any...
  23. Rex81

Welcome to early 90s Infinity World! Reference Six, Five, Kappa 6.1, 5.1

Well, after a marathon refoaming session last night (10 woofers total), I now have my Reference Six up and running. And WOW! These are amazing speakers. Same speed, accuracy, and detail as the Fives with just a smoother, more powerful presentation. I love them. With the Sixes in rotation I...
  24. Rex81

Loving my Reference Fives, but I want to keep moving- What's next?

I'm in love with my Reference Fives (10" IMG woofer, 5" IMG mid, EMIT-R). I love the tight bass, clear highs, and overall large sound of these speakers. I want to keep exploring in this direction. Maybe try out some older Inifinities. I'm also curious about some of the Klipsch Heritage...
  25. Rex81

Uh, this Realistic STA-2600 is pretty freakin' sweet

So I’ve been seeing a Realistic STA-2600 sitting around on Craigslist for over a month. Guy was asking $45. But I don’t NEED another receiver. I’m SO happy with my mint Marantz 2252b. It’s built like a beast, it sounds great, and it’s so pretty to look at. But I actually remember...
Back
Top Bottom