Search results

1. valvenator

Recommended Cookware - Favorites and least liked

Looking to buy some new pots and pans, trying to keep it as minimal as possible. Last thing I need in my life is more useless clutter. There's just so much to choose from: Cast iron, Carbon steel, Stainless steel, Nonstick, list goes on... As an example I love my little non-stick pan for frying...
  2. valvenator

How to Thicken a Sauce..?

I'm looking for a way to thicken a watery sauce such as Worcestershire, soy, malt vinegar, fish sauce etc. with a minimal change of flavor without having to add starch or boil it. I notice that in Japanese cuisine they serve a soy dipping sauce with sushi that has been thickened so as to not...
  3. valvenator

Computer MIDI programming Software - anyone still use it?

Years ago when I got my first computer I got myself a free program that let me compose and play MIDI files simply by inputting notes in sheet music format. I learned to read music years ago and found this very easy to use. Are there any programs like this out there that some of you might...
  4. valvenator

SHIELD brand Speakers

Has anyone heard of this brand? All I can find on Google is "Shielded Speakers" which is of course a totally different topic. Some years back I wanted to build a nice speaker to use with my garage radio and along with a JBL mid-woofer I picked up a small Shield horn tweeter from a local eBay...
  5. valvenator

See anything familiar?

Thanks to Pinterest (you can't tell me the internet isn't following your every move) I came across this site. Of course the BIG speakers instantly grabbed me by the eyeballs. I think I see some JBL's in there, just wondering if anyone recognizes some of the others. Click on each picture for a...
  6. valvenator

Digital Multitrack Recorders

I've been looking for a digital multitrack recorder for a while, My last purchase was a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder so I'm still new to the digital world in that respect. What I'm looking for is quality over quantity and an easy intuitive interface. My list is for the minimum requirements...
  7. valvenator

Pseudo-Stereo

I've been reading some talk here and elsewhere on old mono recordings converted to faux stereo. Some mention placing the direct signal in one channel and a time delayed in the other to create the illusion. I have a Yardbirds greatest hits on vinyl and cassette that seems to use EQ. One channel...
  8. valvenator

Looking for best Flute/Double Bass/ Drum Jazz Trio suggestions

A few years back I found myself listening to a Jazz station on the way home and got to hear a Drum/Bass/Flute Jazz trio that blew my mind. Very tasty clean playing, upbeat, melodic, lots of improvisation yet not too be-bop-ish. Does anyone own these types of recordings and has some suggestions...
  9. valvenator

Ampeg Aurora Borealis (aka Jet)

Some years back I picked up a nice Ampeg Jet guitar amp. The stenciled lettering on the chrome was pretty shot but everything else was in excellent shape, even the tolex on the cab. Plugged her in and was really surprised by how clean and quiet she was, no hum or buzz, just pure guitar tone...
  10. valvenator

WhoDunnit

I was looking to start a new thread, if it hasn't been done already. The topic is: songs you heard once or twice, fell in love with, but never found out who the artist was. I have a few recordings on tapes from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. Stuff I taped from TV and Radio that I have no clue who...
  11. valvenator

Odor-Free Oil Stain?

I hope this is the place to post this question. After years of trying different types of stains for wood finishing I've found I get the most predictable results using oil stains, dark mahogany being a favorite around here. I've been using the Minwax brand but I find the odor really hard to...
  12. valvenator

Ferro-Magnetic Classical Guitar Strings???

This probably seems like a really oddball question but does anyone know of wound classical guitar strings that are ferromagnetic? I'm talking about strings that can be picked up by a magnetic guitar pickup. I actually have a set I got off the bay but can't find the manufacturer. Yes I've...
  13. valvenator

Favorite Fuzz Tones

Since the Rolling Stones released I can't get no Satisfaction on this date in '65 I thought I might ask what are your favorite fuzz tones in a song. I'm not a huge fan of fuzz pedals and never used one (except a Big Muff which I ditched real quick) but in the right context they can really help...
  14. valvenator

Passive Radiators: help w/math on enclosure size

Just trying to get my head together on a speaker project I've been considering. Let's say we have a woofer, 8" in this case that calls for: 0.5 cubic ft for a sealed enclosure & 1.5 for ported. If I were to use two woofers in a sealed box I would double the size to 1.0 cubic foot, correct...
  15. valvenator

Audiophile Dictionary

...is there such a thing available online? I think understand most of the terms used, but some seem a little vague such as 'listener fatigue' being one. Probably seems like a strange question for a first thread, but curious minds want to know. :scratch2: Posted this on the speakers forum 'cause...
Back
Top Bottom