Search results

1. Salbreth1

Tube checker recommendation... Again

So I'm looking for a checker that will do a variety of tubes as well as output matching. I'm fairly new to the tube world but from what iv read Hickok is one of the go to brands. I have a $600 budget and am looking at a calibrated 752A and an 800. Both are transconductance models. The first...
  2. Salbreth1

So I'v crossed over to the dark side... Dynaco ST-70

Hey guys, So someone offered this to me 2 days ago unsure if it worked or not. I've never owned a tube amp or ever really care to but that all changed after I powered it up slow, biased the tubes and gave it a listen. Now I'v been up for 2 days straight fighting the amps mind control powers to...
  3. Salbreth1

Marantz 500 Restoration, Here we go...

Hey guys, Its been a while but I'm starting a build on this guy and thought you might be interested. This unit was running when before I received it, but things are never that easy. When I powered it up there was an immediate smoke storm and it popped the 15 amp fuse. Challenge accepted.
  4. Salbreth1

Marantz 1200 volume issue

Hey guys, So I just finished a 1200b and noticed that I still have audio out of both channels when the volume is at zero. At first i figured a bad pot but out of curiosity I plugged in a 1200 I'm getting ready to start and it has the same problem. Even when the gain switch is on low I have audio...
  5. Salbreth1

Rebuilding 300DC. I love this amp...

I'm starting this guy today and thought I'd share. This is one of my favorites. It sounds so transparent to me. Anyway, let the fun begin!
  6. Salbreth1

1980 Restoration, Diggin in...

Hey guys, I am tearing into this monster and thought i'd share the excitement! This one is in excellent shape and pretty clean inside. I thought I would start with the filters. These cans are huge! I replaced them with some Chemi-con cans that fit perfectly into the extra Clamps I had from a...
  7. Salbreth1

CM Labs CC-50s Rebuild

Hey guys, I'm looking for a service manual for this integrated amp but cant seem to find much info on it. When I got it it worked, but someone cut a resistor out and left the leads hanging on the relay board. The board is pretty burned up too. I already started rebuilding it, but would...
  8. Salbreth1

Marantz 240 diff pairs

Hey guys. I'm working on a 240 that is a bit of a hack job. Lots of things replaced but no consistency. different part values from the left to right amps. The rectifier solder joints were cold. and not one matching output trans on one side, lol. I could iron my cloths with it when i got it...
  9. Salbreth1

KEF Carlton III score. And a catch...

I saw these on eBay for 159. Pictures were out of a guys trunk. Seemed legit... He was only 45 minutes away so I took a shot. Cosmetically they were Great after I cleaned them up. I pulled the drivers nominal impedance was good. Crossovers had no visual defects, but when I fired them up both...
  10. Salbreth1

KEF 103.2 budget crossover Rebuild

KEF 103.2 budget crossover rebuild, completed Hello guys, So I made a big score at a local flea market last week and got this pair of Kef 103.2's for $50! Their in excellent condition including the grilles. Lucky me! These were built from 1980-1985 according to kef. So after 30+ years the...
  11. Salbreth1

2500 from beyond the realms of death

Hello guys, this next project might be a group effort... The short story is the shop i bought this from a guy who fired his tech after going insane trying to fix this. It's been collecting dust for about 5 years now. The good news is that all the important stuff is here, the scope and...
  12. Salbreth1

The Goodwill has finally been good to me!

long story short, I walked in not expecting anything as usual, and what do I see? A pair of Celestion DL8's. I looked left, I looked right, put the death grip on them and swiftly walked to the counter, lol. $20 :banana: I wasn't around for the Celestion era, but I repaired the surrounds on a...
  13. Salbreth1

Mac 1900 low serial service manual

. Final parts list on page 2. Hello guys, I have just acquired a Mac 1900 serial number 2X502 that has an output problem. (no output at all). I have had no luck finding the service manual online for my serial number and a rep at Mcintosh put me on hold for a half hour, so no luck there...
  14. Salbreth1

Harman Kardon 330b for my re inspired father in law

I thought I would share this story. So after 10 years with my wife, I bonded with my father in law. He lives in Vermont and I in Philadelphia which didn't help. About a month ago we started talking about music and he went on a rampage about all the concerts we went to in his college days, Lynyrd...
  15. Salbreth1

2270 loudness and balance issue

HI guys, I have a problem I've never come across and thought I'd ask before I start tearing things apart. I have a engraved 2270 that must have been dropped in shipping. The volume and balance shafts were slightly bent and there was a lot of play in the volume shaft specifically causing...
  16. Salbreth1

One awesome 2245 find!

I got really lucky and happened to see a just listed 2245 on Ebay. As I was looking through the pictures I saw the serial plate said number 1519 and thought, wait, that's engraved! 519th produced! Buy it now! Well it just arrived today and I am amazed by its condition. The left channel is blow...
  17. Salbreth1

Rebuilding a 2330b, output swap question...

hello guys, I just bought a parts 2330b, Euro version. This thing is in great cosmetic shape and the face plate is beautiful. I unplugged the amp board and powered it up on dim bulb with good results. Relay clicked, power supply and rail voltage is good. Even all the original bulbs work! So...
  18. Salbreth1

Is this Oscilloscope a good buy?

Hello all. Ive been in the market for a scope and found a Tektronix 2337, 100 MHz Oscilloscope with a 1x passive probe p6101a for $200. The guys said it was his fathers and it didnt see much use. This model was produced in 1982 so I'm concerned about its remaining life span. What are your...
  19. Salbreth1

Marantz 6300 turntable transformer

Hey guys. I have a 6300 with a bad tranny. The primary is open. There is an original on ebay that I'm considering buying, but I'm wondering if this is a common issue and if I should buy something new. Thanks for the help. Sal
  20. Salbreth1

yet another flea market score

So despite the cold I headed to the outdoor flea market And ended up with a Girrard AT60 and both carts for $20! The Shure has an original stylus that looks to be in good shape. Anxious to here them. I would love to hear some opinions on them!
  21. Salbreth1

Scored a Lenco L78 today

My brother brought me this from a clean out. The cover is in rough shape with broken plastic at the hinge, but it has a Shure M75MB cart and Shure stylus. From what I've read, its a great diy table. Most recommend changing the tonearm. The platter spins but rubs a little and it seems the platter...
  22. Salbreth1

Signet stylus trick I stumbled upon

I thought I would share this after I was astonished by the results. I have a Signet Tk5ea I bought a pfanstiehl stylus for about a year ago. I like the output and crisp highs to begin with but a few moths later I acquired an ADC which I bought an original XLM II stylus for and was hooked...
  23. Salbreth1

2385 just arrived! Holy SH** this thing is big!

I never saw one of the big 3 in the flesh, wow. I bought this baby for parts and have know idea whats gonna happen when I power it up. All parts are original including the output transistors as far as I can see, and there is no evidence of cut or re soldered wires. Please feel free to school me...
  24. Salbreth1

picked up a Technics sl-220 with ADC cart, anyone familiar?

So I was hunting at the flea market today an found this for $20. The sl-220 needs a belt but the motor spins and is in decent condition. Ill clean the pots and probably give it to my brother. The cart on the other hand is a mystery to me. I found a lot of mixed info on it and would like to know...
  25. Salbreth1

Zener Diode Question...

I need to replace a 14v, 1w Zener in a power supply but all I have is a 15v, 1w. both are 5% tolerance. Will one volt possibly cause issues? This voltage supplies the FM boards on my Marantz 2270. Thanks
Back
Top Bottom