Search results

1. F

Recapping. Now I'm a believer.

A couple of years ago, I found a Yamaha CA-1010 at a thrift store. Being a Yammie fan I was aware of it's good reputation. After locating a replacement for a broken output board, I ran it for a while. It was fine, but not really outstanding in relation to other old Yamaha gear I've owned...
  2. F

ST-70 problem

I just received my EICO ST-70 back from my tech after some new caps, resistors and tone/loudness control mods. All seems good except for one thing. With the CD player hooked up to the tape inputs, and the selection knob set to Tape, it works fine. But if I move the selection knob to MX/AUX, AM...
  3. F

EICO ST-70 crosstalk problem

I just got my ST-70 back from a recapping from my tech. Works fine on Phono, but there seems to be a problem when I hook a CD player to the tape inputs. If the CD deck is playing a disc while I turn the selection knob from TAPE/AUX to MX/AUX, FM, or AM, I can still hear the CD playing, albeit at...
  4. F

Altec Lansing 911 in Ottawa

Found this behemoth at Value Village on Innes Road in Ottawa sporting a Garrard Zero 100 turntable with what appears to be a Pickering XV15 gold bodied cartridge. Definitely needs work and lacks the speakers. At $199.99, too pricey for me, but might be someone else's cup of tea (if you have a...
  5. F

JVC SX3

Anyone familiar with these? I normally keep away from Japanese speakers, and find the style of this one not to my taste, but the heft and solid construction (not to mention the bargain price) of these 2 ways inspired me to take a chance on them. Am playing some classical music through them now...
  6. F

AR-7 tweeter replacement

I have a set of AR-7 speakers with kaput tweeters. Someone told me that this tweeter is a drop-in replacement. Is this the case? Has anyone tried this replacement? The catalogue indicates that this replaces the AR-4x tweeter, which I believe is a different creature...
  7. F

CA-1010 returns from the dead

Last December, I found a CA-1010 at a thrift shop. The previous owner had attempted a repair and broke the input board so badly it couldn't be fixed. After many months search, another collector supplied a free replacement board and my Yammie is now providing sweet Class A music. It is a...
  8. F

Yamaha CA-1010

After an 8 month search for a replacement input board (provided for the cost of postage only by an enthusiast not on this group), my $25 Yamaha CA-1010 is in rotation, sounding good in Class A. Not long ago I despaired at the thought that it would never be repairable, but now I am a happy camper...
  9. F

Nikon SP + Contax IIa

Dusted off these two little beauties today. Nikon SP with Nikkor-S 5 cm f 1.4 lens and Zeiss Contax IIA with Sonnar 50 mm f 1.5 lens.
  10. F

Braun L715 speakers

A friend gave me this clean set, along with a Braun CEV 520 receiver. I already have a pair of ADS L710s that I have loved since buying them in 1983. But I couldn't resist these beauties!
  11. F

Braun CEV520

This Braun CEV520 was gifted to me yesterday along with a set of Braun L715 speakers. Am touched by my friend's generosity. Any other owners of Braun gear? Thoughts?
  12. F

Show us your vernier tuning!

I am curious as to how many tuners and receivers came with vernier tuning? It seems to me to be a neater solution than slide rule or digital tuning. Here is the one on an Advent 300. What equipment do you have with this kind of control?
  13. F

Mono Monday

By the powers that absolutely no one has conferred upon me, I hereby declare every Monday to be Mono Monday, and invite mono enthusiasts to show us your favourite mono equipment and recordings. And remember, stereo may be nice, but you only need one ear to enjoy mono! Let me kick off what I hope...
  14. F

Clairtone in Ottawa

Just a heads up for console or Clairtone fans. The Salvation Army at St. Laurent and Belfast (behind Cora's on the west side of St. Laurent) has a Clairtone T6 in reasonable condition for $29.
  15. F

Thorens TD-115 MkII problem

I have a Thorens TD-!!5 Mk II that has an autostop/lift problem. The turntable works fine manually, but when set in auto mode, the turntable turns itself off as soon as the stylus touches the record's first groove. If I cue it mid record, the arm lifts and the machine turns itself off about a...
  16. F

Removing Dust Bug base from Thorens tables

I have two Thorens tables (TD-160 and TD-166 Mk II) with Dust Bug bases attached. I would like to remove these, but am leery about causing damage to the top surface of these decks. Is there a safe way of removing these bases, or am I stuck with the choice of living with the bases or living...
Back
Top Bottom