Search results

1. Stink Bear

tuner / Receiver displays

I'm sitting here looking at displays from some vintage units and considering which are the most pleasing displays. I should start reducing the inventory, and I'm thinking about what can go, a nice display is one consideration. I have in my view: Pioneer SX-939 Sansui Eight Deluxe...
  2. Stink Bear

SX-990, No FM, no signal meter indication

FM just suddenly stopped working on this unit. I've read through other posts with similar issues, I plan to clean switches. Because it was working and then suddenly stopped, I doubt that it's switches. I'm just getting started on this. I checked voltages at the IF amplifiers, they are within 1...
  3. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

I'm curious about how often techs find new transistors that are bad, and if they test before installing. I recently finished a repair on an integrated amp, I replaced all transistors on the power amp board. One was either bad going in, or went bad shortly after. I don't think I did anything to...
  4. Stink Bear

KA-3500 - trying to find short.............again.............or still.

I put in some time on this amp again this evening, it's been kicking my butt on and off for years. I tried taking a different approach this time. It seems I can leave the unit on indefinitely as long as it's on a dim bulb tester, so I started checking voltage at different points. I start seeing...
  5. Stink Bear

Anyone know of car stereo repair groups / pages.

Hello, I've got an older car stereo that I would like to repair, but will need help. Audiokarma has been a great resource in fixing home stereo gear. I am hoping someone could point me to a resource for car stereo gear. Thank you.
  6. Stink Bear

Kenwood KA-3500

Hello, I've been working on this KA-3500 off and on for years, mostly trying to find a short. I tried a new tactic tonight, I'm hoping someone who understands circuits much better than I do can help interpret the findings. I attached 30 VAC to the power plug, powered on the unit, and started...
  7. Stink Bear

Speaker find

Found these speakers at my new work location in remote Alaska, figured I might as well put them to work. Interesting the things you can find in the most unexpected places. With a good source hooked up they do a good job of filling the hangar.
  8. Stink Bear

Poor sound quality from phone or tablet through receiver

Hello, Not sure if this post fits here, please let me know if I should post in another forum. I am trying to use a tablet to play music through a mixer / amp to a receiver, and I get poor sound quality. I am using VLC media player. I have an MP3 player that works well, but I neglected to bring...
  9. Stink Bear

Pioneer CT-F8282 service / bulb / knob?

Hello, The tape deck followed me home from the local thrift store yesterday. I got a chance to look at it today, It needs belts. I replaced one of the belts with a rubber band to troubleshoot and got it going. I haven't played with tape decks much at all so I'm looking for advice on servicing...
  10. Stink Bear

Trying to find short in KA-3500

I could use some help with how to find a short. I believe I have narrowed it down to the power supply or the amplifier by removing pins 17 & 18 from the preamp. Previously I found 3 bad output transistors and replaced all 4. I then powered up on a DBT w/ 60W bulb and it indicated a short. I...
  11. Stink Bear

RS-2004A, finding a short in the power amp board

I replaced the shorted STK-0050, Q10, Q16, and R46. I powered up on a DBT and still had a short. I de-soldered the power feed to the power amp board and powered up, no short, so it's definitely on the power amp board. If I turn the unit on to "phones" there is no short and the headphone jack...
  12. Stink Bear

HK tuner fm signal breaks

I'm working on a Harman Kardon TU615 tuner.It started out as a power problem - no dial lights. I got that fixed but now when playing it breaks the fm signal very briefly, sometimes often, sometimes just once in a while. It seems to do it more when I first turn it on, and it seems to be worse on...
  13. Stink Bear

Thanks

I wold like to say thank you to the members of this forum for their generous assistance. My electronics skills are minimal but I like the vintage equipment, I like taking something that doesn't work and making it work again, and I like learning as I work on the gear. I've reached out for help a...
  14. Stink Bear

Pop, then fading buzz in left speaker when turning off power

I've searched the site and found similar problems but not quite like mine. When I turn the receiver off I get a pop from the left speaker and then a slowly fading buzz from both speakers. I also get a pop at power on, but much weaker than power off. I just started using this receiver. After I...
  15. Stink Bear

SX-939 tuner issues

I've got an SX-939 that had intermittent FM tuning problems, it eventually went dead. I used to be able to touch the HA1201 and get the signal back, not any more. I checked voltages, I'm not sure what I should get but things looked normal except for pin 6 (Vcc). I assumed I should have a supply...
  16. Stink Bear

Troubleshooting RS-2004A

Finally getting started on this receiver. It's been a while since I got it and did the initial look but I'm pretty sure I remember that there were 2 blown fuses, the right power pack was bad (pins 8 & 9 shorted) and R46 is obviously burnt. I'm still pretty new at this so I'm looking for some...
  17. Stink Bear

A-70 stereo amplifier help?

I picked up an amplifier yesterday. It looks like there was more than one A-70, this is the early 80's stereo amplifier model. Anyway, no output, no peak power indication, no sound from headphone jack. I haven't done much with it yet. I have done a visual inspection with the cover off, no...
  18. Stink Bear

2215B static in left channel on FM

I recently got this 2215B. One channel was weak and distorted, I'm almost positive it was the right channel. I swapped the output transistors side to side, the problem moved to the other channel. I didn't see any evidence of burned components, and the bad channel sounded good (I thought) with...
  19. Stink Bear

Surrounds for Buhoe Blues?

Anyone have advice on where to get surrounds for Blue Burhoes? There are a couple of advertisers on ebay that claim to have the "correct" surrounds for the Burhoes, one is audiodogs out of Canada, the other is midwestspeaker. I have been using simply speaker surrounds but one of the advertisers...
  20. Stink Bear

SD4020

Looking for info on this cassette deck. I have no experience with repairing / servicing tape decks. I came across this one recently, the guy I got it from said it just needs belts. I opened it up and one belt is melted to the motor shaft. When I turn on power the motor starts spinning. I can...
  21. Stink Bear

SX-990 Dial Pointer Lamp

I'm looking for information on dial pointer bulbs for an SX-990. I replaced bulbs in 3 different units, put in 40 ma bulbs, and they are pretty dim. I have two of the lamps that I removed, I measured the diameter of them with dial calipers, I come up with .2 inches, which converts to 5mm...
  22. Stink Bear

KA-3500 blowing fuse

I just acquired a KA-3500, the previous owner said that it keeps blowing fuses. I took the cover off and looked around, there has been something spilled in it at least once. I did a little cleaning so I could see the components better, I don't see anything that looks burnt. I used an ohmmeter...
  23. Stink Bear

Is there any "better" new type STK-0050?

I have a unit I'm thinking about putting some new IC power packs in temporarily to check it out and see if I want to do the discreet component mod to it. Has anyone found that there are better, or least crappy new STK-0050's? Thanks, Brett
  24. Stink Bear

2215B weak channel

I have a newly acquired 2215B that has a channel problem. I'm new at working on stereos, I would like to learn and I know a little about electronics, but still really a novice. IIRC the right channel was weak and quite distorted the first time I powered it up, I cleaned the switches and pots...
  25. Stink Bear

RS-2004A parts / project?

Hello, Looking for RS2004A parts at a reasonable cost. I have a unit that is cosmetically decent, but it has a shorted STK-0500, is missing the antenna, and a couple of equalizer knobs are not the correct ones. I like the looks of the unit and would like to get it working but I don't want to put...
Back
Top Bottom