Search results

1. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

I figured I'd share what I discovered. I ended up taking my speakers in to a local repair shop here in Fort Wayne IN. They said they've repaired a bunch of these and they have the parts already to repair them for me. I should have them back in a few days. The best part, the repair cost, appears...
  2. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

Thanks for the response! I had done some searching around online hoping to find an explanation like that, but it seemed like no one wanted to give a direct answer in as simple of terms. I really like the idea of these speakers, and I've spent a while wanting to get my hands on a set of B&W so I...
  3. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess it never hurts to ask. I was worried someone was going to say something like this... Does it hurt the speakers to use them with the damaged diaphragms? I know that's probably a newbie question, but I don't know the answer. Thanks!
  4. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

Thanks for looking that up. I had found it as well, however they show discontinued on their website. I might be stuck lurking around resale sites to try and find something... :no:
  5. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

I don't think your wrong, I think excitement got the best of me. I drove about and hour and a half just to get to the location. It was a huge blow just to see all the damage. I'm now wishing I would have had the will power to just walk away. At this point, sadly I didn't and now I would like to...
  6. N

b&W ruined diaphragms

Hey guys, I just thought I got a sweet deal on a full 5 speaker setup of b&W speakers, drove about an hour and a half away to discover all but one of them had bad diaphragms on the tweeters... I ended up getting all 5 speakers for just over $300 so I bought them to take the risk. Well, after...
  7. N

Dedicated HT LRC speakers

Thanks for the comment. I guess I started to look down that route before. I've always heard good things about snell speakers, and was curious. I had also heard a lot though that THX certification often made speakers a lot more expensive than they needed to be due to the companies cost. So I had...
  8. N

Dedicated HT LRC speakers

Hey Guys, I've slowly built up a hodgepodge home theater over the last three years. I started around a set of ESS AMT4's and then added a Yamaha RX-A1050, JBL Northridge surrounds and center, and a Velodyne CT120. Like I said, a hodgepodge. What I'm looking for now, I'd like to move my ESS...
  9. N

Turntable advice

Looks like I'm going to pick up the TD166mkii tomorrow for $350. Not bad! I'll see how the cartridge it comes with sounds. but is there one I should consider as a good replacement right away? Thanks for the help everyone. I've secretly wanted one of these for a long time, and having you all...
  10. N

Turntable advice

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Its funny, it just shows how tastes vary from person to person to see the responses. After reading all your replies I have my eye on a Thorens TD166 mkii right now. I'm seeing if I can work something out with the owner. It currently has a Signet cartridge...
  11. N

Turntable advice

I did see those Pioneers. I was debating if it was a good idea to go for that PL-A45D and then upgrade the cartridge. I've been watching craigslist like a crazy person. Trying to keep my travel time to a minimum but I'm guessing I'll end up driving a couple hours somewhere just to get...
  12. N

Turntable advice

Hey everyone. I've been spending countless hours looking around on here trying to figure out what in the world I should get but I'm having some issues. There seem to be so many ways to go with turntables. I'm relatively inexperienced. I have only owned one record player in the past, a Marantz...
  13. N

Small Wood Bookshelf Speakers

Thanks everyone! You guys have given me so many to look at! Some of them are beautiful the trick however is finding some of these that are actually for sale.... I have no problem going with a sub. I'm planning to build into either the wall or shelving channeling for the wiring so it won't be...
  14. N

yea... I guess I have an optimistic view of a bookshelf speaker.... I appreciate all of you giving me ideas. I wish I had money to go buy everything I "want" all at the same time. I do like the idea of a small system that is composed of two small satellite speakers and a sub. I just don't...
  15. N

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to be working with a shelving unit similar to this. One of the shelfs will be deeper in order to accommodate my turntable. I've thought about if I should look into powered monitors. They seemed like they'd generally be heavy. however it could work. The...
  16. N

Hey guys, I've been doing some looking around trying to find a good small pair of bookshelf speakers. I currently have a set off ESS amt-4's I'm listening through. They take up a bit more room than I would really prefer and I'm trying to downsize to something smaller but equally crisp (if...
  17. N

Heil tweeter trouble shoot

Thanks for the response. I didn't see this post this morning, however I ended up doing exactly what you suggested. It showed me that the diaphragm is good. I then bought some deoxit and sprayed down inside where the fuse goes, as well as the connections on the back. After that I opened up...
  18. N

Heil tweeter trouble shoot

Hello everyone, I just got done moving across the country and now that I set up my system one of my Heil's aren't working. I checked all the connections and the fuse on the speaker. The woofer on the speaker is still getting power its just the tweeter that isn't. I opened the cabinet...
  19. N

$20.00 Thrift Store Find

No worries about the Derailments. I appreciate it. I checked all the connections and It appears to be good in that manner. I popped the fuse out, It looks good, It also produces sound through the woofer when in place. Everything on the circuit board itself looks good. Nothing looks...
  20. N

$20.00 Thrift Store Find

Man.. I just did some more testing and realized its actually my speaker thats freaking out. I mean, don't get me wrong, thats great for the turntable. But I have a set of ESS AMT4's and I just moved and when I left my last place both speakers were working.. Now one of the Heil tweeters...
  21. N

$20.00 Thrift Store Find

I flipped the audio output to make sure it wasn't the amp. It did the same thing. I read the manual and found what the needle needed so I believe I have the vertical tone arm balanced and the anti shaking adjustments done. The table is level so I'm not sure what to try next. Without the 45...
  22. N

Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

I was definitely shocked myself... I've felt like I could never find good deals on things until this....
  23. N

$20.00 Thrift Store Find

So far I've only tried two records. The first was Simon And Garfunkel : Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. It says "stereo" on the record. The second is Barry Manilow : If I should Love Again. Seriously, Didn't know anything about the records and they're not really my type of music but they were...
  24. N

Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

Sorry I haven't read the rest of this thread but I just stumbled onto this guy for $20. I'm pretty stoked about it. I thought I'd share. So far everything appears to work fine.
  25. N

$20.00 Thrift Store Find

Hello everyone. I wanted to get on here and share what I just scored at a thrift store for $20. Normally I don't get to find that good of deals but its pretty rad. Its a marantz 6300 Everything appears to be in good working order. I cleaned it up after bringin it home. I appear to be missing...
Back
Top Bottom