Search results

1. sbaradaran

The Spendor Thread..

From what I've gleaned on the web the older spendors, and now the classic series, are a bit warmer and more lush sounding. The D series is faster, tighter, with deeper bass and more extended treble. Now always a good thing with some tracks I'm learning. But a good recording sounds absolutely...
  2. sbaradaran

The Spendor Thread..

Now that I'm a member of the Spendor Club I might as well share some photos! Picked up these D7s used. I think I have my endgame speakers. With a bigger room I'm sure they would sound even better. And good lord do they look amazing - I am mesmerized even when they're not playing music...
  3. sbaradaran

ProAc Owners Thread

How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? What are the dimensions of your room? It's a bit hard to tell from the photo.
  4. sbaradaran

ProAc Owners Thread

I'm very interested in hearing the D30RS at some point. There is a dealer about an hour and a half away, but I just haven't had time to make it down. I really like the look of Proac Speakers. Ive listened to the Spendor D7 a couple of times and really liked them, but find them a tad bright...
  5. sbaradaran

Best sound quality notebook (headphone output)?

This is the correct answer. All onboard DAC and headphone amps on laptops are garbage. Even Apple when you compare to a dragon fly black. I have a Red and a Black. They both sound excellent.
  6. sbaradaran

Love my new Shure SE535's but...

I feel about the same way about the Westone 4R. Not the most exciting headphone, but extremely comfortable, well balanced and detailed. I could use a bit more sub bass oomph. I have a pair of RHA MA-750 and they have too much low end oomph. Haven't quite found the perfect iems yet!
  7. sbaradaran

The Spendor Thread..

Anybody here have a chance to compare the Spendor D9 vs D7? I was in NYC a couple months back and demoed the D7s. The imaging and midrange was fantastic. Bested my older Monitor Audio speakers for sure, but one som tracks I did notice more brightness than I'm used to with my MA Silver S10. IT...
  8. sbaradaran

DAC makes a difference

The DAC absolutely makes a difference! Like you I started out with the digital inputs (toslink) of my old Denon AV Receiver, which sounded fine. Then came the Cambridge audio DAC Magic and a veil was removed. Dynamics and clarity increased substantially. Since then I went to a benchmark DAC1 USB...
  9. sbaradaran

DAC recommedations

Just an example. You could probably offer 160 bucks for this: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ff0j-cambridge-audio-azur-dacmagic-da-converters
  10. sbaradaran

DAC recommedations

I'd like to stress that you can find some pretty great DACs used if you look hard enough. Craigslist and Audiogon have been my friend. My first DAC purchase was cambridge audio DAC magic that I still use in one of my system. I picked it up for like $180. Some other high value options: Schiit...
  11. sbaradaran

Amateur review of Schiit Vidar power amps in single and monoblock configuration

It might be a little spendy, but I've read good things about this Emotiva 7.2 channel Pre. It's got the balanced inputs and outputs galore. https://emotiva.com/product/xmc-1/
  12. sbaradaran

Emotiva Pricing Announcements

I sure am glad I bought my Airmotiv 5s when I did. They were 399 for the pair and are now 499 for the pair. They are awesome sounding desktop monitors.
  13. sbaradaran

Standalone DAC vs Chromecast Audio DAC... Advice needed

I will say that a well recorded 320kbps mp3 sounds pretty darn good. Sure there is some benefit with lossless if you have an amp and speakers that can reveal the extra detail, but I think with your setup a stand alone DAC will make a difference, even with high quality mp3s (paradox?). There are...
  14. sbaradaran

Toslink Splitters..?

I got this one recently and it works fine. I will note the range of the remote is not good. You have to be like 2-3 feet away for it to register, which makes the remote almost useless, but it's still easier to use the remote than press the physical button on the unit. Sound wise I have not...
  15. sbaradaran

Chromecast Audio...And DAC's?

I think it's a matter of expectations with the CCA. I run it through a benchmark DAC when I'm streaming from spotify and the like and sounds pretty ok to my ears. When I'm playing lossless files from my source via a coaxial cable I can definitely hear an improvement, but that's really only when...
  16. sbaradaran

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

I have the older model Dacmagic (it was my first real dac) and it's definitely a good sounding, and forgiving DAC. Just upgraded to a Benchmark DAC1 USB and while not as forgiving, is better extended in the lows and highs to my ears. I picked one up used for $550. I'm sure the dacmagic plus is a...
  17. sbaradaran

DAC newb questions.

Any updates after listening to lossless stuff? Is it sounding better?
  18. sbaradaran

Trouble hooking up new DAC

Use digital coax if you can.
  19. sbaradaran

DAC or new source

- Anybody compare any of the 3 DACs side by side before? No, but I have the older DAC Magic and it was a huge upgrade compared to the DAC built into an older yamaha receiver (circa 2004). There is lots of love for the Schiit Modi MB around the web. - How is the audio output on the Sonos Connect...
  20. sbaradaran

DAC newb questions.

+1 here. Try better source music as mentioned above and see if there is a difference. You have everything setup the right way. What speakers are you using?
  21. sbaradaran

What all to get started in digital? DAC advice

I'm going to have to second this. Serious value to be found here and should sound better than airplay. Make sure you use a mini toslink to use the digital out of the CCA into the Schiit Modi.
  22. sbaradaran

Mytek Brooklyn - Anybody have one?

I ended up buying a Benchmark DAC1 USB off some guy locally on Craigslist. Sounds really good in my main speaker setup. This should quell the upgrade bug for a good, long while!
  23. sbaradaran

Digital Audio (Toslink) Splitter

In case anyone is interested here are the ones I landed on. Higher End - Made in US - this one is a bit overkill since it's 4x2 and pricy. I really only need 2x1. http://www.inday.com/da4x.html Garden Variety - one linked from above and another on Amazon. Inexpensive, good reviews...
  24. sbaradaran

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Restorer-john is correct to say that I have multiple inputs (TV, CCA) that need to output into one input on a new DAC. Funny you recommended this. This is my current DAC, which I'm thinking to upgrade to the Schiit Yggy.
  25. sbaradaran

So far crickets. No one uses an optical splitter?
Back
Top Bottom