Search results

1. D

New JBL L100 sticker shock

I am curious how the new L100 compares sonically to the older L112 for those that have had an opportunity to hear both.
  2. D

Where to Buy Tannoy HP 385A Surrounds

I looked but I may be missing your location..... but, if you are near Toronto, Ontario there is an excellent shop called 'The Speaker Shop".
  3. D

How many stations can your stereo(s) pick up across the FM band?

Here is an interesting circumstance..... I have a tube pre with a tube phonostage and a bryston amp.... when I turn the gain to approx mid way, I can hear the local radio station faintly in the background clear enough to know the song.
  4. D

Are JBL 4411 speakers a good match to my system?

Thanks for all the info. At some time, as I said, I would like to hear and compare the L112
  5. D

Are JBL 4411 speakers a good match to my system?

I purchased these speakers years ago with my previous system. Since then I have gone to a Bryston 3BST amp, a McAlister tube preamp with a tube phono stage, and a Rega P6 TT with a Hana SH moving coil cartridge. I like the JBL 4411 both sonically and for their physical size and am quite content...
  6. D

MC / MM loading question

FWIW.... I have the same cartridge and my tube preamp is only set up for MM. I had to install a small step-up to get the most out of the cartridge even though the Hana is high output.
  7. D

Record store filing systems

I have been to many stores and some methods of organization are unusual but not an issue once understood. Having said that ...... It is frustrating when they have a large selection and lump all under A's, B's C's etc and don't break down under a popular artist's name.. I don't enjoy sifting...
  8. D

What is a good brand of Tube Amp

Sorry, I am late to the thread .... if you have not purchased anything you should consider Mcalister Audio in Barrie.....he is close to you and Peter builds everything custom and priced very well. Give him a call as he is always available to discuss options. Even better, take a short drive and...
  9. D

JBL's Still Worth Getting Into?

I have a pair of 4411 and really enjoy them. They are the pro version of the L112 and agree that they can be had for less money. I consider them 'sleepers ' like the L96. I have never heard the L112 but would like to hear comparisons to the the 4411 for those that have heard both.
  10. D

JBL L150a vs L112

Not really fair to respond in this manner as there are no dumb questions. If you are "not sure how else to put it", leave out your first and third line.
  11. D

Phono Pre Amp or Line Stage

I would consider a new Mcalister Audio tube preamp in that range. I recently purchased one with a phono stage and am very impressed. Peter Mcalister builds each unit himself custom for each customer. He is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to personally. The sound quality of his products...
  12. D

EAGLES

The Eagles are great and well worth attending....having said that.. there is no question they are more concerned about generating income than playing for their fans. Nose bleed seats in Toronto were pushing $300 a seat and front floor were $800 a seat. The last time they toured, 6-7 years ago...
  13. D

Bryston 3B question

You can always email Bryston directly from their web site. Having said that, they will likely need a serial number to be accurate.
  14. D

JBL L110 vs L96

I cannot speak to the L110 but the L96 are very good. I consider them sleeper speakers. They are very well recognized by those that have experience with them.
  15. D

How to connect the same speakers to two different power amps?

Very simple to accomplish with two toggle switches. I have one switch with 6 terminals for each speaker . The center pair of terminals are for the pos and neg connections for the speaker. The top pair of terminals are for the speaker connections from one amp and the bottom from the second amp...
  16. D

Change from Marantz 1200 B to Marantz 510 and preamp??

My 1200B at 100 watts has mostly enough power but I want to try pushing with 200 watts for comparison. I am not a fan of the slider for volume on the 33.
  17. D

Change from Marantz 1200 B to Marantz 510 and preamp??

I currently have a 1200b integrated amp running JBL 4411. I am considering a change in favor of more power and came across a 510 and a Marantz 33 preamp. Is a change in this direction worthy of the effort as far as sound quality or is it more of a lateral movement?
  18. D

Need help finding speakers for my dimensions

I have a similar built-in entertainment unit with doors that remain closed for protection when not in use . I leave my grilles off and open the doors when listening. I used Klipsch Heresys for a period of time and now have JBL 4411. It will be tight but you may find a nice pair of JBL 43xx...
  19. D

low/high gain switch on Marantz 1200B ?

Thanks for the info. This amp is rated at 100 WPC and I always thought it seemed somewhat weak. Is there any difference in sound quality on low gain? Now that I have it on high gain it seems that there is more detail. Is this just my ears playing tricks? John
  20. D

1200B No Phono

I have the 1200b and really enjoy the sound. I was getting a slight hum from both phono sections so opted to connect an outboard phono stage. At some point I will take the amp for service. On another note do you run your gain switch on high or low? I recently discovered this switch on the back...
  21. D

low/high gain switch on Marantz 1200B ?

I just noticed a low gain/high gain switch on the back panel of my Marantz1200B amplifier. What is the purpose of this switch? It seems similar to the loudness switch on the front face. I have found a service manual but no user manual.
  22. D

Marantz 2226 Speaker Pairing

I power JBL 4411 with a Marantz 1200B and really enjoy the result.
  23. D

Arcam FMJ CD17 or Rega Apollo

What are the opinions on these two players? I am replacing my existing unit and considering one of these units used as I primarily listen to vinyl. I have read some reviews but they are a fair age now. Thanks
  24. D

Adding Tubes?

I am in much the same situation considering a tube preamp. I have a Marantz 1200 running JBL 4411 and was going to add a restored Dynaco Pas3 to the system.
  25. D

JBL 4411 or L112 to replace L96 ??

Thanks....I was trying to attain a little more bottom end with the change from the L96. I will likely pick up the 4411 to A/B test with the L96 for comparison and do the same if I come across a good pair of L112. After reading some reviews I was concerned that the 4411 might be a completely...
Back
Top Bottom