Search results

1. G

RIP George Martin

Few have had a greater influence on music.
  2. G

Project RTR: Development of new consumer R2R deck

Sounds interesting: http://www.analogarts.net/project-r2r Created this thread so we can follow and comment on Horch House progress. Or maybe send them words of encouragement?
  3. G

A $30K Nintendo cartridge?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-Japanese-Nintendo-NES-3193-Test-Cartridge-27600021.html someone donated this instead of throwing it away and bidding started at $5. Just 5 hours left folks, get your bids in! LOL. And I felt guilty buying a $1200 cartridge for my turntable.
  4. G

Stylus cleaning....I'm at a loss

Folks that know me know I'm pretty particular about cleaning records. During a recent cartridge shootout (another thread) I was examining styli via a microscope and found my used DL-110 needle was dirty with what appeared to be vinyl bits (black debris). Before you jump to conclusions, the...
  5. G

Tascam 34B tracking

I just picked up a Tascam 34B 4-track I found for cheap. Running through tests, it appears to have it's own track alignment as tapes made on other decks bleed on this one. I guess it was just designed for studio recording and transfer (not for anything pre-recorded)? I could not find info on...
  6. G

Really good talk on digital formats by Andrew Scheps

I did a search and didn't see this posted, but it is a great talk from a sound engineer if you have the time: Andrew Scheps: "Lost in Translation: Audio Quality in Streaming Media"
  7. G

Weird micrograph of new stylus

I picked up a vintage Shure V15 III Super Track "Plus" cart with elliptical stylus that had never been used and, due to it's age, decided to examine it under high magnification before installation. It looks good at the tip, but any idea what the mess is where it meets the cantilever? Debris from...
  8. G

Wooden cassette dispenser: who made this?

I picked up this cool cassette holder/dispenser at GW. It is all wood...looks like Teak, and is super well-made with wooden buttons an ingenious ejector design. You push the button above the desired cassette and it pops out into your waiting hand. Constructed with rounded finger joints, brass...
  9. G

MQA encoding

MQA seems to be all the buzz at CES this year. Wonder how fast device manufacturers will respond. There was an Tidal/MQA streaming demo and Pioneer's XPD-100R portable was playing files, but hardware with built in decoders are fairly thin at the moment.
  10. G

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

For another group, I was asked to put together a series of comments on record cleaning. I thought I'd share excerpts from it with this forum, fully knowing that it will be controversial with some who swear by their methods. Keep in mind, they are my opinions as a former Biochemist and as a...
  11. G

New name "World of McIntosh"

Odd change for Fine Sounds Group, but I guess they want to merge branding http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Brand/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=181&Block=1
  12. G

Adapter for AEG/DIN pancake?

I found a master tape from Europe (recorded on a Studer A80) that is a pancake with a AEG type hub on it and want to put it onto a NAB hub. What are my options here as I haven't ever been faced with this before? Where can I find an adapter so I can mount it and play it onto a standard NAB hub...
  13. G

The good, bad, and ugly within a vintage tape deck

So I picked up a Tandberg Model 64 for some spare parts at GW. It had a sticker on it that said it didn't work. I got it home and opened her up like anyone else here would start. Here's the nudie: Well, there's the Ugly, and it is apparent why the deck didn't work (yes, some wires were bitten...
  14. G

Are you open and adventurous?

your personality may be linked to your musical preferences: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/personality-trait-musical-talent-taste_5622559be4b08589ef47a967
  15. G

Today's Disco/Dance playlist

Ha! I'm sure we can find something in this genre to occupy our time. If not. I'll go it alone, starting with Bond Badass Ms. Jones:
  16. G

Technics RS-1500US mystery part

I just dug an old Technics reel deck out of storage and opened her up after hearing something loose inside. Attached is the part that was floating around. Looks like some kind of cap or cover? It's hollow and about the size of a pencil eraser. Googling the numbers on it came up empty. Any RS...
  17. G

Ready to cry??

OK, I've seen many stories of poor packing practices here, but I had always had great luck with sellers shipping turntables to me from all around the world. Case in point was about 6 months ago I received a Thorens TD-125 with SME tonearm shipped perfectly in original packaging and boxes, double...
  18. G

When Art supercedes Sound

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specimen-Hornlings-26-Stereo-Horn-Speakers-Handmade-in-Chicago-3-200-retail-/151697599703 Really? When does a horn sound great pointed at the ceiling? Yeah, but Guggenheim! And Green! :thumbsdn:
  19. G

Old, but New To Me playlist

I'd like to see a thread with people's discoveries of old music, mostly groups or artists never before played on their current system. For starters, I just played a recording of The Call - "Modern Romans". I never played this group before, though I remember hearing them on the radio quite...
  20. G

Just tried to file taxes but someone already used my SSN

Someone already filed a false return using my info. I can't believe it. I'm so careful with my SSN that I don't even put it on my medical forms. I'm pretty sure the Intuit site was hacked, as I use Turbotax, but they won't fess up to anything. Really pissed at all the extra time I have to now...
  21. G

Any SKAA-based headphones available yet?

Looking for something better than Bluetooth or Airplay for wireless headphones. I see there are USB SKAA transmitters and wireless speakers, but can't seem to find headphones.
  22. G

Any experience here with the Cocktail Audio X40??

About to pull the trigger as I need an all-in-one solution to plug into my 2-CH system. Seems most reviews are European, so wondering if any AK-er has 1st hand knowledge they could share. I like the Sabre DAC, swappable HD, native DSD capability, and analog inputs so this seems to be the ticket...
  23. G

Need help with Tandberg 64 decision

I just picked up a Model 64 Tandberg and it powers on and most functions appear to work, but it needs new belts and pinch roller. Also looks like the play function needs work as the roller mechanism doesn't raise all the way up in play. Here's the dilemma though: This unit is very clean inside...
  24. G

Paul Butterfield. What luck!

For me, the best part of this hobby is discovering old music that I never paid much attention to before, yet really is surprisingly good. I'm talking about stuff that never got much radio play or publicity. I feel fortunate today as I received a set of reel tapes of various old Butterfield Blues...
  25. G

Reel tape label template

I was wondering if anyone had a link or source for decent 7" reel tape box templates. I've been recording on a mix of old Scotch, Ampex,BASF, and Maxell tapes and would like the collection to look uniform so would like something that covers both sides of the box as well as the spine. I like the...
Back
Top Bottom