Search results

1. jedo1507r

Crusty CDP-11S

I was given this roughened up Sony CDP-11S (CDP-200) a couple of days ago from a family friend, fixed the obvious frayed AC cord and greased the transport. Very sturdy CD player, even for a base model, but the roughness over the years have caused the 11S to stumble. The two-piece tray always...
  2. jedo1507r

Really Bad Song Lyrics

Richard Harris - MacArthur Park Complex '60s pop song with symbolism (or whatever it is) that quickly becomes a silly description. Gave me the idea of :wtf: when I first heard it.
  3. jedo1507r

Any Older CDPs Play Burned CDs?

My 1986 Sony CDP-35 plays CD-Rs flawlessly. Even the Pioneer LD players (CLD-V2400, -1070, and -V740) play them well. However, I second the late '90s DVD players can't play CD-Rs at all, my Panasonic DVD-A120, though it reads DVD-Rs without problems.
  4. jedo1507r

CL - 1950's Curtis Mathes stereo - $2500

For $2500, I vote crackpipe. Oh, wrong site. :stupid:
  5. jedo1507r

That Ion POS

Thought this would be interesting and an appropriate step for Ion: http://tinyurl.com/5wkqu6
  6. jedo1507r

They don't make stuff like they used to..

My parents have an early-80's Kenmore (by Whirlpool) washer/dryer pair in "piss yellow". The only item on the washer that had to be replaced was a $10 water valve - twice. Still chugs along despite the appearances. Easy to swap out, the rest of the washer seems dead reliable. The dryer does...
  7. jedo1507r

What's the coolest spectrum analyzer or display?

Sansui SE-99, which was useless without the magic wand doohickey - though the visuals made up for its shortcomings. Form over function.
  8. jedo1507r

Vintage Computers!

I run a 500MHz Dell Optiplex GX1 running 98 in the rack for music, but I do tend to swap it with a 450MHz PowerMac G4 Cube and matching CRT - which sits on the desk, runs OS 10.4. The Optiplex was a trash find, but luckily the mobo and everything else was working fine. The Cube, I've had since...
  9. jedo1507r

Akai AM-U7 Integrated

It does not have an external loop. Must be an early/mid '80s feature. :D :confused: I've done some searching about the feature through a couple of forums, here, here (machine translation, scroll down partway) and here. The "Open Loop" feature introduces a higher THD percentage, without...
  10. jedo1507r

Akai AM-U7 Integrated

I've picked up this Akai AM-U7 integrated last weekend, and of course, it's got a malaise plastic face but has pretty decent sound. That toroid is what lured me in. :D The Akai gives a different sound and defeats the tone controls once I press the "Line Straight" button. I'm just curious...
  11. jedo1507r

What's the newest and oldest component in your system?

Oldest: Akai GX-370D (1972) Newest: Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder (2003)
  12. jedo1507r

Butt Implants

Booty Mishap :lmao:
  13. jedo1507r

Build Quality / Longevity - portable digital cameras

Definitely true, our although our 1982 Canon Sure Shot PAS still chugs to this day without an instance of repair; however, some cameras like the more recent 2000 Olympus D-380 PAS digicam that a friend gave to me a year ago was built to be thrown out (along with its SmartMedia memory card...
  14. jedo1507r

Computers: Desktop vs. Laptop???

Two notebooks, a trusty but well-worn HP/Compaq Presario R3000-series as a daily driver (Skt 754 1.6GHz AMD Athlon XP, 768MB RAM, other meh specs) and a Panasonic CF-29 Mk. IV (with 1.6GHz Pentium, 1.5GB RAM, meh specs) - which is in rotation). I do use a 450MHz/640MB RAM/350GB (overkill, but...
  15. jedo1507r

Do you have a Facebook or MySpace account?

I have a Facebook account, though Myspace is just plain cluttered.
  16. jedo1507r

Odd and/or cool car options...

About those talking cars, Chrysler had that equipped with some of their 80s cars (New Yorker). The voice was similar to the Speak and Spell, since the chip was sourced from TI. That voice module was as irritating as a backseat driver.
  17. jedo1507r

Drool-worthy VINTAGE Japanese Hi-Fi

That C5 Control Amp has a hugely flat AC cord. All looks sweet though!
  18. jedo1507r

Pawn shop finds!

The local pawn shops have mostly junk (unloved minisystems) but I've bought stuff I've wanted and needed: Sansui SE-99 EQ with light pen $30, Pioneer SR-9 Reverb $10, Pioneer Cassette Changer CT-WM62R $20. But my favorite purchase wasn't audio-related, but a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook...
  19. jedo1507r

Detroit CL: Stereo Speckers!

HD = Hopefully Dead (I know, lame.)
  20. jedo1507r

Thrift store find...for $10?...ah what the heck!!

Wow, that sure beats (and with a few bricks inside, crushes) an iPod speaker dock. :D
  21. jedo1507r

2008 Jeep Liberty

Same here with the cheezy gold wheels on my '89 Cherokee Ltd.; stands out in a parking lot. :D But I do like the new look of the Liberty, but it just isn't the same without a 4.0.
  22. jedo1507r

K-TEL and RONCO records

From what I have, K-Tel's "Music Express" (1975), where songs were no more than two minutes, it sounds worse than an LP intended for kids. "Chart Action '83" was sonically similar, but with less songs and songs that run to three minutes.
  23. jedo1507r

i can't believe i read all that...

What?! I'll have what he's having.
  24. jedo1507r

See the awful speaker article in the Boston Globe?

You're right about that averagewhiteman. The local paper in my town had reported nearly a year ago on "video gaming" Really, he didn't know what were GOOD games, and thought that playing "Super Mario Kart" on the SNES equated to the "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" on the PC (and PS2). Of...
  25. jedo1507r

Reader's Digest TB-344A-G Receiver ...

Wow, they did try to aim for McIntosh looks. Readers Digest definitely knows how to sell stuff.
Back
Top Bottom