Search results

1. V

Repair Yamaha R-500 for Denon AVR 3802?

Looking for tech in SF Bay Area who can fix my yamaha R-500. I believe year 1983, last year yamaha made analog receivers before everything went digital. I am original owner saving it for nostalgia. I left it playing on low volume overnight, and next morning it wasn't the same. Sometimes it...
  2. V

DENON AVR 3802

The manual doesn't speak to what I'm trying to accomplish, connect 2nd pair of speaker without remote. I'm looking for alternative strategies. I'm pretty sure the series-parallel wiring would work, with 8 ohm and 6 ohm speaker pairs. But it would be cool to be able to just plug and play the...
  3. V

DENON AVR 3802

I'm not buying remote that cost more than I paid for receiver. So I'm willing to sacrifice some functionality. Also don't care about TV. It works for playing CDs with 2 front speakers. I just want to hook up 2nd pair smaller bookshelf speakers to complement my larger pair of floor speakers...
  4. V

DENON AVR 3802

But I don't need remote or TV for the 2 front speakers to work. You sure there's no other way to add 2nd pair speakers? Nobody out there has ever made that work?
  5. V

DENON AVR 3802

I picked up pre-owned Denon AVR 3802 for rock bottom price. But without remote control. I hooked up 2 floor speakers from the 1980s as the 2 front speakers. Plug and play sounds great. Now I want to connect 2nd smaller pair of bookshelf speakers, so I would have 4 speakers total. This would...
  6. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Thanks for the tip. If I don't have remote control can I switch off the speakers to only listen to headphones?
  7. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Bose makes its money from HTR and car stereo now. But the older model speakers with equalizer circuitry are interesting. AK members sometimes argue about speakers like comparing Rolls Royce to Bentley. But that's meaningless if you're on safari in africa and you need a land rover with mud...
  8. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Bose 501 series III, from the early 80s. They have unique crossover circuitry that allows for use with the bose spatial equalizer. But I prefer conventional 10 band EQ. The 10 inch woofers have been refoamed, and tested down to 20 Hz, and go subsonic you can vibrate glass windows before you can...
  9. V

Explain to a young guy why reel to reel was the thing in 70s and 80s

Reel to reel produced higher quality sound. Cassette was really just good for the portability or convenience. Nakamichi made a great 3 head cassette deck that started to approach the sound of reel to reel. But then the CD took over a few years after that. The other very cool thing about reel to...
  10. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Not a bad back-up piece while I try to get my vintage yamaha receiver fixed. :beerchug:
  11. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

This unit is rated 110 watts, and my speakers are rated 100 watts. Do I need to install in-line speaker fuse kits? I'm never going to max out the volume.
  12. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Since I'm only connecting 2 speakers it seems plug and play (idiot proof). You don't need remote, or TV, or manual. I just connected front left and front right speaker wires. It seems to automatically know to default to 2 channel analogue stereo. I can compare to headphone output and it...
  13. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Thanks. I got the manual copy. Basically its about how to connect 9 speakers and 8 video devices lol. I only want it for the amp to drive 2 speakers, and the amp is near audiophile quality on specs, so not complaining considering how I almost got it for free. The EQ settings if you can call...
  14. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

Thanks. Factory reset did the trick. I'm playing CDs via my laptop. The sound is astonishingly clean at high volume. God bless that person who donated it to the salvation army thrift store. This has very limited tone controls. Bass and treble button. No loudness control. Can I connect my...
  15. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

I just want to output my laptop to the AUX function. That would give me all the radio stations in the world and CD playback capability. That's enough for my purposes. This is a massive hefty amp. Very solid build. Its weighs 50 pounds and most of that is power transformer.
  16. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

I only want to use this as amplifier to power 2 speakers in analogue. I don't want all the features. I'm not hooking up 9 speakers and my TV. I don't want that nonsense. This retailed for $900 back in the late 90s. Its a great amp very highly rated without all the bells and whistles. That's...
  17. V

HELP -- Denon AVR 3802

I picked up the Denon AVR 3802 at the thrift store today. No remote control and no manual. I am baffled. Can I operate this without a remote control? It powers up. I plugged in headphones. But I don't understand how to get sound. Is this the correct forum? Any insight is appreciated.
  18. V

comparison: R-S500 vs A-S500

If I acquired a vintage power amp like kenwood M1, would I be able to connect my yamaha r-500 to it and use it as pre-amp for the controls?
  19. V

I don't care about remote control. My R-500 has performed well up to this point, but its going intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't have tech skills to work on it. No doubt anybody here with a multimeter could do simple part replacement and restore it. It looks...
  20. V

I'm replacing my R-500 from 1983. I agree that yamaha is best for champagne taste on beer budget. I'm wondering if I even need the built in tuner. I can output from my laptop and get every radio station in the world. Is the concept of the receiver obsolete? All other things being equal with...
  21. V

:smoke: I'm shopping the market and comparing the R-S500 vs A-S500: R-S500 (receiver) with tuner and 75 watts, $350. A-S500 (amplifier) without tuner and 85 watts, $400. Are there any other differences that I'm missing? Otherwise its the exact same, am I right?
  22. V

Is Paris Hilton an AKer?

Technics SA 5360 - Edition Paris Hilton Delivering the goods. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/48136705@N05/4631697506/
  23. V

Is Paris Hilton an AKer?

Paris is out the driveway right now hosing down my Bentley in her swimsuit.
  24. V

how important is THD spec?

How important is Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) spec in choosing an amplifier? I was always under the impression that lower THD was better. Therefore I was surprised to see the Arcam A19 had THD of 0.5%. Arcam is premium brand highly regarded by audiophiles. But the THD spec for this amp...
  25. V

Help! Yamaha R-500 died today

Poking around with wooden chopsticks (non-conductive) didn't seem to change anything. The soldering looks clean to my eye with reading glasses. However, I'm attaching a pic. Is this part oozing out black gunk, and does that indicate its damaged? It appears to have something to do with the...
Back
Top Bottom