Search results

1. UMRKretread

Rolling Stone trashes Frank Zappa

Vulgarity has been around a lot longer than the 1960s... go to Elizabethan England for some good standards in proper vulgarity. BTW for some good insulting period language, try https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-09-27/strumpets-and-ninnycocks-short-guide-elizabethan-insults
  2. UMRKretread

FZ was a thoughtful, vocal defender of free speech, and an extremely discriminating critic of BS. Watch the link below if you enjoy seeing politicians squirm: https://www.facebook.com/Zappa/videos/frank-zappas-testimony-before-the-pmrc-senate-hearing-on-rock/1481495871910926/
  3. UMRKretread

Oh yeah... If you really are turned off by his lyrical posturing, listen to Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar a few times (all three discs). Plenty there to sink your canines into. Frank was one of the all-time great guitarists.
  4. UMRKretread

Try Jazz From Hell, or maybe Orchestral Favorites, or the LSO albums.... FZ called his rock tunes with lyrics 'comedy music'. Underneath all that he was a totally serious composer.
  5. UMRKretread

Cheap sleeper amplifiers

I bought a Stewart HPA 1000, a pro amp from probably the early '80s, from another AKer. Dirt cheap: $100 for 200wpc @8 Ohms. I plugged it into my NAD 3155 integrated and it made a huge difference in the bottom end for the Infinity RS-5b I am running (they are 6 Ohm). My son just bought a stack...
  6. UMRKretread

$1500 in my pocket.....for an integrated amp

Never heard one of these, but if I was buying a new integrated, Ragnarok would be on the short list. Can be had with onboard dac and phono, too.
  7. UMRKretread

I think a more accurate term would be 'pile'.
  8. UMRKretread

How can I make my AK-custom AR XB really sing?

Schitt makes a great phono stage: Mani, $129, handles MM and MC carts, would leave you plenty for some decent connects. Or some more vinyl. https://www.schiit.com/products/mani
  9. UMRKretread

Sounds good. You may not need much more for a very long time, from what I've heard about Schitt product (though I do have a Modi 3 which is amazingly good).
  10. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

Sweet. That 607 looks brand new... it came from a replicator?
  11. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

Are those end panels on the alpha907DR made of solid wood? Looks that way from here, very sweet touch if so.
  12. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

I would like to see photos, when you've time.
  13. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

Fascinating gear, to me. I should say, I am more than a little saddened that Sansui moved from being a high-end player in the audio market to mediocrity. Similar to Nikko: such great product for a space of time, then obscurity.
  14. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

Hey pete_mac, I note you have some very interesting gear, that AU-α607MRX for example: does that date from '93 or '94? That's a model I have never seen here in the States (nor any of the other integrateds in your menagerie). Styling is quite striking. Do they have the sound qualities of the...
  15. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

Those are some serious-looking drivers. What year(s) do these date from? I never get tired of looking at Sansui gear, been drooling over it all since the 70s...
  16. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

What are those speakers. pete_mac? Never seen any before...
  17. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

18. UMRKretread

Show Me Your Sansui!

My AU-505, bought new in 1974 with a Technics SL-1500 (still using that, with a Shure M91ED) and a pair of KLH 6 (long gone), currently in use in my office. I recently bought another, and want to rebuild both, eventually. Anybody know of a quality tech in Western New York?
  19. UMRKretread

2017 Sansui Serial Number Database

AU-505, 833091160, UMRKretread also AU-505, 834012250, UMRKretread (you have this one already)
  20. UMRKretread

Pandemic home office system (what's yours like)

Love that bench, adnick.
  21. UMRKretread

Anyone had experience with Ghent Audio USB cables?

Thank you for that. Ghent product seems reasonably priced (or, even, inexpensive), and looks good from their descriptions and photos. $35 for a handmade 2m USB sounds great. Now, why would I want to spend, say, $1500 for something similar? Does that come with massage?
  22. UMRKretread

Anyone had experience with Ghent Audio USB cables?

I'm looking to buy a USB A-to-micro cable for use with a Schitt Modi 3, and spotted this manufacturer: http://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u02.html I have no idea as to their product quality, can anyone fill me in? Or, for that matter make any recommendations.
  23. UMRKretread

Scared and Stupid

This might help: it's well-written but a couple years out of date. Also, is dedicated to a Mac-based architecture, but should get the general idea across. https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/
  24. UMRKretread

The joys of owning vintage CD players

I have an ancient NAD 5325, bought new (a floor demo, actually) in 1983. Still works flawlessly, I have given up waiting for it to die. But I'd like to move it to the office and get another player for the main system, just in case. So I am looking at this thread with great interest. Has anyone...
  25. UMRKretread

So you want to understand Stylus Shapes? Try this!

Speaking of the Denon 103, has anyone listened to the Zu Audio version (which Zu terms Zu/DL-103 Mk II)? I have not, but find their online description intriguing...
Back
Top Bottom