Search results

1. S

Bose 901 Series 2 Mystery

I'm pretty sure the Series I and II are close enough that you can use the same active EQ. I don't have one for reference, but I think if you read the series II instructions it says as much. The series I and II were sealed box, cloth surronds. Bose revamped Series III onwards to be ported with...
  2. S

Tune your system the way live pro sound people do for cheap

Here's a VERY late addition to this thread. First, I'm just an amateur, listen at home to stereo type of guy. Here's a plug for REW (free) and for the Behringer DEQ2496. Although I sold mine because I no longer needed it, consider that this box has been on the market for nearly 20 (!!!) years...
  3. S

Tried out room correction and it sounds.. bad?

I've never tried "real" room correction (the type that attempts to solve reverb and other problems). I HAVE used consumer grade "auto EQ" systems and have not been impressed by the results. At best, you get a rough EQ and you can customize to taste. I'm also dubious of "room correction" since...
  4. S

How much of an audio snob are you!

Sorry for delay. Sure, it is a Pipo X8. This is no longer made, but several later models are very similar in specs and price. They even make a little one with a built in thermal printer for point of sale. Not sure you'd need it for audio, but I guess it'd work :)
  5. S

How much of an audio snob are you!

My system is fully customized: the strong point is a pair of expensive (if they had been new) speakers: Yorkville Unity U15. I got them used, trashed, but good enough to tweak and convert to active. The rest of my system is anti-snob: the "source" is a Windows PC "tv box" only available from...
  6. S

Some people like speakers that sound good better than perfect sounding speakers.

Drummond's comment was relevant: If your speakers still sound good in the next room or down a hall, they are probably good speakers. Also, if your cleaning lady says "those sound good." :biggrin:
  7. S

If Dual Concentric speakers are so good why doesn't everyone use them?

Not strictly a dual concentric, but I'm a fan of Danley Unity/Synergy. You get the point source plus the benefits of a waveguide. I've only briefly listened to the real thing (at the factory), but I've been lucky to have a used pair of Yorkvillle U15 for a few years. Partly the laws of physics...
  8. S

Bose 901 Equalizer problems!

77 posts and no Bose bashing? That is unprecedented at an audio forum :) I too am a past fan of 901's. I prefer the original (sealed) series I and II. So much that I bought and refurbished a few pairs. I believe there are 3 or 4 pair collecting dust in storage. Not that they sound bad, quite...
  9. S

What are the most basic, like 101s, of speaker placement.

Might I add: "Try as many positions as you can." As noted, every room is different. Do you have test equipment (frequency measuring?) This will give you ideas too. Also very dependent on speaker designed use: Klipschorn was designed for corner. Bose 901 sounds best 18-24" from back wall and not...
  10. S

BOSE 901 models (listen to it FLIP)?

As I noted above, good luck selling old Bose 901s! Sure it's possible someone will buy them (how else did a fool like me end up with 4 pairs!!???), but I've tried listing starting at $1 no reserve and no bidders (was for local pick-up in provincial Florida, maybe that is why?) I'm not a pro...
  11. S

BOSE 901 models (listen to it FLIP)?

I went through a buy cheap and repair Bose 901 phase from roughly 2009-2015. I prefer the series I-II (cloth suspension). If you have DIY EQ you can avoid using the Bose EQ. It was worth something sold on Ebay :) In contrast, the speakers are relatively easy to get. I paid perhaps an average of...
  12. S

Some thoughts on Bose 401 speakers

Have never heard the 401s. I've enjoyed (or owned) a few pairs of Bose over the years. Agree that they can be a great bargain bought used. In my late 40s I went through a 901 binge, ended up buying like 6 or 8 sets used and reselling some. I still have three working pairs of 901s gathering dust...
  13. S

Bose 901 Haters Debunked!

I would like to offer my own experience with Bose 901 placement. Here is how to properly place them*: 1. speaker should be placed at least 18-24" from side walls. However, unless your hearth is unusually large, a few inches suffices. 2. It is important that the speaker be at least a few inches...
  14. S

DE OX IT WINS AGAIN

I am fan. Years ago I bought a tiny DeOxit at Radio Shack (remember them? ;) ) I was enthusiastic so from CAIG direct I ordered $100 or $200 worth of assorted cans of it...I still have a good stash on hand :thumbsup:
  15. S

BOSE 901 stands?

Really, they are discontinued? Kind of the end of an era. I have never owned a new pair, and currently have 3 or so pairs of series I or II in mothballs. They are easier to buy than to be rid of :) During my acquisition years, I was surprised how much the old EQ and stands would sell for on...
  16. S

Which cleaning method for a very dusty Technics SU-V6?

I have had good results with washing in tap water, even completely soaking a unit, believe it or not. Of course you must ask yourself if you mind risking the entire unit. I would first use a dry method (brush, vacuum) to remove any really thick dust. Then just soak the whole unit in warm soapy...
  17. S

DeoxIT - Types & Formats

First, the company's web site is http://caig.com/ You should be able to find detailed information there. They do offer a wide array of formulas. I have used several of their products, mostly for standard old audio parts. If you were only buying one product, I would buy the 5% (D5). This is the...
  18. S

Odd Pair of Bose Speakers I Have Never heard of, Worth Re-Foaming?

"Not bad speakers" he said. C'mon, they are Bose! And sold under a different name, even Bose was embarrassed. :) Seriously I would agree with your points. I went on a Bose 901 binge over a few years and still have like three pairs collecting dust. They are easy to restore with suround kits. Only...
  19. S

Do I Want Horns?

How about Danley Unity or Synergy or the GedLee (Earl Geddes) horns? Both of these boast some unusual innovations that solve -- or claim to -- many of the issues of horn sound. I have very briefly heard the Synergy. My home system is the poor man's: a beat-up used pair of Yorkville U15 actively...
  20. S

Paradigm Speaker Foam Attached with Tape

Aluminum pie pan! :) I would pay to see that one. I'm not much better, but...about a year ago I saw a pair of Infinity Reference 5's at a thrift shop with ate-up mdis and woofs. $32 the pair. Bought. I know that replacement surrounds can be bought, but close to $100. That's no fun. So I tried my...
  21. S

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

One of my fondest memories is a beloved cat trying to figure out how to lie down atop a Mapletree 5SE. Sadly I no longer have the cat or the preamp.
  22. S

Came across these fairfax speakers today. Opinions needed.

Cool name! Also an affluent suburb of Washington DC, my home and among other companies, Conrad Johnson (what would you expect for an audio company started by a government bureaucrat?)
  23. S

Bose 901 EQ caps, where to get them?

For the money and effort, have you considered just using a modern EQ such as a MiniDSP? With the additional effort (and maybe cost) of using a PC and measuring mic, you can get your Bose 901 system to have the factory EQ, some room correction, or both. I've been doing this for years and it works...
  24. S

So where do I begin?... Intro and help request=D

Welcome! We have something in common besides audio (I am a "professional student" also at a FL university -- but Spanish Lit here). Your budget is quite the limitation, but may I pimp my "system" and suggestions? Buy used -- especially the speakers. If you can be[gin] happy with just two, there...
  25. S

Autumn leaf color change pics in your part of the world.

Autumn foilage is one thing we lack here in FL. On the positive side, there is literally an app for that ... at least on Android, fall leaves in a pond live wallpaper.
Back
Top Bottom