Search results

1. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

I've really been getting into this lately. Great stuff!
  2. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet - Picked up several reissues recently including this mono release from Analogue Productions. Nice to have a new copy!
  3. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sorry for the radio silence over here, lots of work deadlines over the last few months. I've been here following, but little posting. Picked up this reissue recently, as much for my interest in Bud Shank as for Bruce Brown, whose film this music accompanied. Great stuff but wildly disappointed...
  4. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sorry for the low-rez photo, and also sorry I didn't post about this hours ago because there was a wonderful live Bossa Nova set today on WKCR by the Anthony Fuscaldo Group. The trio recently released an album called Journal Square, which I plan to check out asap.
  5. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Casual Affair - The John Mehegan Quartet Adding this to my collection of records by John Mehegan, who, as I've mentioned before, taught a history of jazz class I took in college. This is a beautiful session, but sometimes Kenny Dorham seems a bit lost. Surprising as he was already a rising star...
  6. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Have this as a reissue - extremely enjoyable!
  7. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Barry Harris Sextet - Luminescence! I posted about this recently, but have it on tonight and was reading the liner notes by Ira Gitler when a couple of sentences really leapt out. He notes, "I am one of those people who believes that if music can make you feel better it is doing something very...
  8. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk Yet another from the fair - think there may be a couple of more still. Love this record, found a great reissue from around 1966 in excellent shape.
  9. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Abbey Lincoln - That’s Him! Still going through the batch from the fair. Interesting record, only Lincoln’s second, and I’m still trying to come to a full opinion, will probably need several listens but pleased so far. There’s an impressive group of musicians on here, including Max Roach, her...
  10. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Gary Burton - The New Quartet This is the most recent release in my record fair batch and it’s still 50 years old. Lovely stuff sounds exactly of its era. Burton’s vibes are recorded really well. Also, nice minimalist silver ECM sleeve that some goober along the way dinged up by ripping off the...
  11. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Great track, such a nice groove. Way too short, guess they felt they had said it all!
  12. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Love this one!
  13. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Barry Harris Sextet - Luminescence Big and brassy with lovely playing by Harris. Another from the WFMU record show. Thought @Gannon might like this!
  14. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Phineas Newborn Jr. - Here Is Phineas Another from the WFMU record fair this weekend. This is a beautiful album! Newborn got some flack at the time for being too “technical” but I find plenty of emotion in the playing.
  15. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C WFMU record convention in NYC this weekend. First one since the pandemic. Always a lot of fun. Picked up this Johnny Coles B/N Liberty 70s reissue. I was somewhat familiar with this, but wanted a copy. Recording sounds good, actual record quality itself just okay...
  16. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Happy Birthday Monk! Probably be parked right here as much as I can today.
  17. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Out Of The Afternoon - Roy Haynes Quartet, After waiting for something like a year and a half or more for this pre-order, it finally showed up. Was it worth the wait? Well, sure, but sheesh. Anyway, sounds great!
  18. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Toshiko Mariano Quartet - nice Candid reissue.
  19. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker I realize this Tone Poet has been around awhile, but I just recently got a copy and I’m really enjoying it!
  20. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Billie Holiday - Songs For Distingue Lovers Down a deep rabbit hole at work so not much time for music lately - but this arrived the other day and I finally got to give it a spin. Gorgeous sounding and great players with Ms. Holiday.
  21. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Believe this is the last record from my recent Paris trip. Jazz organ, starts off w/ a lively version of Night in Tunisia. Kenny Clarke on drums. Very nice so far!
  22. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Ah, another AR owner (hope I haven’t mentioned this before)! I like those feet on there.
  23. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Martial Solal - Bonsoir As promised (a couple of days ago) a French Columbia release. Trio on Side A, solo piano on Side B. Fairly adventurous opening track, sounds great so far!
  24. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Nice to read this, picked up a French Columbia on my recent trip that I’ll post this evening.
  25. Jay Kay

Today's JAZZ playlist

Jazz Sur Seine - Milt Jackson, Barney Wilen, et. al. I realize this recent reissue is widely available here in the US, but picked it up with the recent batch of French jazz, the common denominator being Wilen. Sounds great!
Back
Top Bottom