Search results

1. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Update 2.0 The 4100 returned to me finally in one piece. The adapter suggestion worked! :)
  2. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Well,I have a rather sad conclusion to my 4100 saga. After being damaged in transit I sent the 4100 back to the guy who sold it to me. He repaired it,showing photos of what he did and included a video of it working and sounding as it should. He dropped it off at UPS the following day and it was...
  3. monsterzero

I am NOT a headphone guy. HD650's

A good DIY OTL amp for you to consider is the Bottlehead Crack+Speedball....yeah odd names,but it pairs nicely with the HD650. Check out the ZMF line of headphones when you inevitably want to upgrade.
  4. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

I actually have like four of those. I will give them a shot when the 4100 is returned to me. That being said I used to piggy back several of those+slightly upgraded cables and I did notice a significant degradation of SQ. I will simply try them as an "adapter" and see how that goes. Thanks for...
  5. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Hmmm...that might work. Thank you. I will have to try this once the 4100 gets back to me after being damaged in shipping. I will report back.
  6. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Im clueless on both fronts. Looking at the C-Marc Lessloss website they do not offer barrel dimensions. Im guessing thats because RCA dimensions are standardized( i think).
  7. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

I have a YouTube channel where I review audio gear,primarily headphones and the associated gear such as amps,DACs,cables etc. Because my channel helps get the word out on the street of a given piece of gear,im sent review samples from time to time. About 4 months ago I had seven RCA cables,4...
  8. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Forgive my ignorance,but what is "shotgunning"? FWIW I contacted McIntosh and like everyone else theyre closed due to the Covid-19. They referred me to http://www.audioclassics.com/ I have no experience with this shop,but they def sounded like they knew what they were talking about over the...
  9. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Loose as in "looking at them the wrong way will cause the cable to fall out" loose. In other words it seems the female RCA on the 4100 are too big. Sorry for the confusion. I cannot afford,nor do I want to replace my LessLoss RCAs. As I said,they fit snugly on my custom OTL headphone amp,my...
  10. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

The only inputs I did not try were the phono,for obvious reasons. All are loose. The 4100 is going back to the seller as it was internally damaged in transit anyways. He is kind enough to repair it and return it. We shall try a 2nd time. I asked him if he could replace the RCAs while he has,and...
  11. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

I tried AUX 1 and 2,both have the same issue. The seller,who BTW is a member here and has over 2300 positive transactions on eBay told me it is a known defect with the Macs of that era. Im assuming he knows what he's talking about. FWIW, I have no issues with my cable on any other vintage or...
  12. monsterzero

Loose RCA on 4100 Fix?

Hi all, I did a search but I couldnt find a similar thread,so here goes... I just picked up a lovely MAC 4100,which Ive been wanting for many years. The problem is the female RCA into the 4100 is extremely loose. I am using a C-Marc L:essLoss RCA cable,which is a quite expensive cable,so I dont...
  13. monsterzero

Show your headphone amplifier

Yeah my Glenn OTL is quite versatile. The first two empties I can roll in C3G tubes,or ELs with adapters. The back four empties I can roll in a sextet of 6bx7s or 6bl7s,or as I did in this photo, 2 or 4 6AS7G,6080s,5998s or 2x 6336s.
  14. monsterzero

Let's see your cans!

15. monsterzero

AKG 240DF. One of the most well kept secrets among headphones?

Just picked up a pair of DF for cheap. They def need a pad replacement. Also is there supposed to be a foam insert over the driver? Can anyone provide links to stock pads and insert? Thanks.
  16. monsterzero

Output measurements for vintage receiver (Pioneer, et al) Headphone circuits

Magni 3 is a toy for easy to drive headphones.Plug any power hungry headphone into it and see how fast the Magni 3 shrivels up. Plug same headphone into a receiver jack and it smiles back at you and begs for more.... Enjoy.
  17. monsterzero

planars are less sensitive to the whole ohm matching math.Ive ran HE-500s,Audeze LCD-2,ZMF Blackwood from all my receiver jacks with great results.The HE-6 def needed the taps though. For the HD600/650/6xx I prefer a good OTL,but im a tube head so YMMV.
  18. monsterzero

That was probably the HiFiMan HE-6.I used to have one and yes I drove it directly off of the taps of a 125wpc Kenwood Eleven GX with no resistors. Looking at your headphone collection the only ones that will sound good from a vintage receiver HP out are the 1060s and Sennheisers.Ideally you...
  19. monsterzero

AKG K240 (Sextett) Questions

I can confirm that LG V20 somehow,someway can and does do a good job driving the sextetts. regarding the fit...theres elastic built into the headphone and after 40+years tend to lose the ability to keep the headphones from sliding down.A simple(and cheap)fix is grab some black elastic hair...
  20. monsterzero

New cans or refurbished cans

Sorry you got a crappy broken pair,but on the bright side you got my favorite version of Sextetts...The LPs are too bass light and the EPs bass can get in the way for faster genres,but the MP is perfect.
  21. monsterzero

There are three versions.I discuss all three versions (I own all three) in my review video I linked earlier in this thread(scroll up) Essentially its the color of the passive radiators that dictate the era in which they were made and each have different bass response. I created a sextett...
  22. monsterzero

The original box too,well done. Hopefully you got lucky and picked up the EP or MP version.Unfortunately theres no way to tell which version you got from this photo. Let us know how they turn out.
  23. monsterzero

Do you know which version of Sextetts you got? Vintage headphones typically do not stack up well vs. many modern offerings.Sextetts are an exception,assuming the forward presentation appeals to you. Another excellent vintage headphone is the Sennheiser HD250...and while there are both 300 and...
  24. monsterzero

AKG K240 sextetts I have a review of them I recently did on YouTube.Ive owned over 35 pairs of headphones and theyre in my top 3 for guitar oriented music. The best Ive heard them sound is from my Sansui 881 and my Akai AA-1150.
Back
Top Bottom