Search results

1. parksung

iPhone via USB on CD Player = no seperate DAC?

I have a silly question as my CD player is from the 80s and I haven't been keeping up with their technology. I want to stream Spotify from my iPhone or Macbook Pro through my amp. If my CD player has a good DAC and USB input, do I still want to get a separate DAC to achieve better sound from...
  2. parksung

Project Pre Box S2: noisy USB connection

I just got this DAC and am enjoying it via optical cable to my Macbook Pro. The problem is when I try to use the USB, it's really crackly, staticy, hard to hear the music and I'd need to turn the volume up very high. I don't turn it up or use it for fear it'll damage my speakers, etc. It's a...
  3. parksung

Cyrus One (2015) buzzing in speakers

i bought a demo and it buzzed loudly in both the tweeters and woofers, along with a distinct pop when turning on and off, particularly in one speaker more than the other. The buzz was audible from about a foot away. The audio shop told me it should be 100% silent and to bring it back. I...
  4. parksung

Dragonfly Red USB for laptop, but how to use with my amp w/ no USB?

Is there any adapter I could use to get the USB of the Dragonfly connected to something in my amp? I have an HK 990 with optical inputs and more (Owner's Manual, page 5 shows all input options)...
  5. parksung

Best headphone amp w DAC for Focal Classic headphones (laptop & smartphone use)

I just bought these headphones but they're not blowing me away vs. a $100 pair of Sony MDR-V6s from a decade ago. I'll most listen to music on my MacBook Pro Retina (2015), but it'd be nice to have the option of using it on my smartphone (I have both Android-Samsung Galaxy S5 & iPhone 5S). I'll...
  6. parksung

DAC & MacBookPro Retina (2015)

I have a stereo amp with a DAC (Harmon Kardon 990) and I use an optical cord with a 3.5mm mini to plug into my MacBook Pro Retina. Luckily, my MBP is new enough to be able to use the 3.5mm mini or the usual 3.5mm because iPhones and iPads cannot. My avatar shows what I'm doing. What my question...
  7. parksung

DAC & MacBookPro Retina 2015

I have a stereo amp with a DAC (Harmon Kardon 990) and I use an optical cord with a 3.5mm mini to plug into my MacBook Pro Retina. Luckily, my MBP is new enough to be able to use the 3.5mm mini or the usual 3.5mm because iPhones and iPads cannot. What my question is, is when I need to use my...
  8. parksung

DAC a&

Sorry for the title typo, it published before I was done! I have a stereo amp with a DAC (Harmon Kardon 990) and I use an optical cord with a 3.5mm mini to plug into my MacBook Pro Retina. Luckily, my MBP is new enough to be able to use the 3.5mm mini or the usual 3.5mm because iPhones and...
  9. parksung

Who knows the Harmon Kardon 990? Opinions?

I'm currently am using this and although it's not as good as the Cyrus iii, I'm pretty happy with it EXCEPT there's no headphone amp and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a good one. So what I'm thinking is getting an all in one like the brand new Peachtree Nova 150. It's current, has...
  10. parksung

Peach tree Nova 150 reviews?

has anyone received theirs and can describe performance and sound characteristics? Love the all in one, though my hifi guy is trying to sell me the Naim 5...which I'd still need to buy a phone stage, headphone stage, etc. I have a Rega RP1 and B&W 602 S3 speakers plus an 90's mission CD player.
  11. parksung

Optical (male) & 3.5mm (male) to play iPhone on amp

I have an Harmon Kardon 990 and have Airport plugged into the amp via an optical to 3.5mm cable. My internet keeps cutting out so I want to simply plug in my iPhone directly with the 3.5mm end but the end of that end is too short and does not properly fit into my iPhone. Questions: Is this...
  12. parksung

Is a $2k amp logical for a 700sq.ft. Apartment?

Here's my setup thus far: Rega RP1 turntable (no plan on upgrading unless there's some amazing deal) B&W 602 S3 speakers which I love and don't plan on upgrading Mission CD player (90s era, love it, sounds great, will have it til it dies) Harmon Kardon 990 amp (weighs 50lbs, capacity is far...
  13. parksung

Arcam Alpha 10 opinions

I need a better amp for my B&W 602s and want at least 100wpc. Any thoughts on pairing this wih my speakers? Would I need a power amp to go with this too? I LOVE my friend's Cyrus 3i and Mbloc that he's lending me, and want something equally as detailed and warm.
  14. parksung

Rogue Metis ?

My local shop is selling this used for CAD400. I have B&W 602s and my 90s era Rotel 50w amp doesn't cut it. I'm borrowing a friend's Cyrus 3i + MBLOCand love it, but have to give it back and want something equally as nice. It's selling with a Classe CA101 power amp for CAD500. Thoughts?
  15. parksung

what's the equivalent of a Cyrus 3i?

I love this amp, but am in Canada where they're scarce. What would be a similar amp that gives the bass, depth and treble this does?
  16. parksung

Rega RP1 not grounded, but no ground wire!

I used this with my Rotel RA840BX4, and no buzz. Now I'm using it with a Cyrus 3i, and get a buzz. My speakers are B&W 602 S3s. When the Cyrus is in any other mode than Phono, no buzz. Any ideas?
  17. parksung

B&W 602 S3 + Cyrus 3i: buzz issue

A friend just lent me his Cyrus 3i and it sounds Superb. I LOVE it! But there's a buzzing noise when using my Rega RP1, that doesn't exist in CD or Aux (w/ Airplay to use iTunes). My RP1 doesn't have a ground wire and I have no idea how to deal with this annoying buzz. Any ideas? Also...
  18. parksung

good amps for B&W 602s

I have these wonderful speakers but don't feel I'm getting as much out of them as I could. An audiophile told me they're power hungry and need an amp with lots of power. Which amps would you suggest? I'm open to older or newer. Currently, I use a Rotel BA840BX4: Power output: 50 watts...
  19. parksung

surround sound setup question

I have B&W 602s and a great sounding pair of Wharfedale Delta 30.2 bookshelf speakers. Currently, I'm using the B&Ws and am wondering if it'd make sonic sense to use the Wharfedales to create surround sound. So I'd have the B&Ws facing me, and put the Wharfedales on either side of the couch...
  20. parksung

stands for B&W 602s

I currently have these which I bought new off CL for only $20: http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/nf18/ They're fine, but I'd like high end ones that could be filled with sand. Which brands/models are recommended for such large bookshelf speakers? They're about 19" high...
  21. parksung

speaker cable for B&W 602s

I just got these off eBay, in MINT condition and have to run them on the opposite side of my living room from my components. Currently, I use Monster XPHP cable and since this is my first pair of good speakers in over a decade, I haven't used anything else to tell the difference. I just bought...
  22. parksung

Rotel RA-840BX4 cutting out

I have the RA-840BX4: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/ra-840.shtml I bought this off eBay (a mistake I'll hope to avoid again), and had 2 transistors/resistors replaced because the speakers cut out every few songs or few hours. I trust my repair shop and they said fixing it...
  23. parksung

speaker stands: B&W 602 -> Quest EM500?

I will be getting some of these speakers later this week and am looking for stands. The speakers are 11.5" deep and 9.3" wide, and I don't know much about stands other than they should be very heavy, so here are my questions: 1. would these be good? a local seller has them for $60...
Back
Top Bottom