Search results

1. cowdog360

Question about channel issue on AU-717

Hello, I recently did a full Leestereo style recap and upgrade on a friends AU-717. He's telling me that now the right channel occasionally drops out, and now when it is working it has less bass than the left. After he turns it on/off a few times the channel comes back. I'm curious as to...
  2. cowdog360

Kenwood 8100 Repair - Need Advice

Hello, I'm working on an KA-8100 for a fellow AK'er here in WA. I gave it a good internal cleaning today and DeOxit'ed all of the pots and switches. The problem he was having before was that it was popping when the switches were pushed and eventually it just stopped working. He was running...
  3. cowdog360

Where to find 2230b faceplate?

Picked up another 2230B this weekend, but sadly the face has circular marks around the faceplate screws. Where would a good source for a clean faceplate be? Thanks!
  4. cowdog360

Need help identifying issue with KA-8300

Hello, I just got done reworking the power supply on my KA-8300 amp. It plays music wonderfully with no distortion or issues. However, there is a sound you can hear from both channels no matter if the volume is all the way down or up, regardless of input. It's like a faint ticking/hum. I...
  5. cowdog360

That's no Pioneer tower

It's a crocheted space station! The wife just finished it up tonight. She's thinking of making more.
  6. cowdog360

Rebuilding KA-8300 - Questions

Hello all, I'm working on restoring a KA-8300. Today I started with the power supply section. I fully recapped the board, replaced the relay and the diode for the relay. I also replaced the toasted RK6 with a 1W metal version. Now my question is that when the unit is operating, the...
  7. cowdog360

2230b - No left channel after recap

Ok, thought I was doing good and realized I have no left channel after my recap and replacement of the diff. pairs. When I measure for the 20mv voltages, that is a rock solid 20mv. However, when I measure across 723 and 722, the voltage is jumping all over the place, and I can't get it to...
  8. cowdog360

Anyone have a picture of their 2220b or 2230b output heatsink?

I need a picture of the output heatsinks on a 2220b or 2230b to make sure when I pulled the transistors I put them back in the correct directions. Lesson learned, photo first then work!
  9. cowdog360

Marantz 2230B Recap Project - Started

Ok, I bought my 2230B from a friend and am starting my rebuild project on it. Already got the blue LED's installed and new vellum. Now I'm on to replacing the relay, caps, differential pairs and some diodes. I followed some of the excellent combination of lists that people put together for...
  10. cowdog360

Home theater - Would the BS22's be an upgrade?

Hello all, I've got a little extra to spend, and would love to get some newer speakers for my home theater. Currently the setup is: Receiver:Yamaha RX-V2500 And my speakers from college about 15 years ago: Fronts: AR PS318 towers Rears: Optimus LX-5 II Center: Optimus Pro CS-5 I'll keep...
  11. cowdog360

Compressed air caused shiny bits to fly out.. ?

Hello all, I was just blowing out the innards of my 2230b, and when I hit the tuner section a bunch of shiny metallic bits like confetti came flying out. I'm not sure if this is cause for concern or not. I powered it up and everything works normally.. Any ideas?
  12. cowdog360

Recapping a 2230B and maybe some mods

Hello all, I purchased a 2230B from a friend in excellent working condition. I've already cleaned it up really good and done the blue LED mod. After I get my Hakko FR300, I'm going to tackle recapping and update this thread. I'm following some of the cap recommendations that are in the...
  13. cowdog360

Marantz 2230B - What can I expect?

So a friend is offering my he Marantz 2230B. I'm just wondering what I should expect for a reasonable amount. I'm thinking he's going to want around $200-$230 for it. Physically it's in near perfect shape on the outside. It does have some issues that need to be addressed such as dirty...
  14. cowdog360

Picking up a 2230b for project

A friend of mine has offered to sell me his 2230b at lower end of market value. Physically it is almost mint. Looks like electrically it needs a good cleaning, lamps and maybe a new signal meter. The caps I would do since of the age. What do you all think, worth the investment?
  15. cowdog360

Need help fixing a KA-8300

Picked up a KA-8300 that powers up, but no relay click. I opened it up and found a few interesting surprises. 1. It's had some work done before since the protection board had solder on the wire wraps. 2. One of the output modules was replaced (poorly). 3. One of the pins on the...
  16. cowdog360

Futureproofing the KA-9100 or amps with with TA100W module?

Hello all, I have a KA-9100 that I have been going back and forth with on keeping or selling all based on my fear of not being able to get replacement parts for the TA100W power modules. What is the best way I can buy some parts today, print out some schematics and store them for the...
  17. cowdog360

My basic setup - question about optical out for PC

Hey all, I've been accumulating some equipment from my inlaws basement and goodwill. So far my setup is: Kenwood KA-9100 AMP Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player Sony EP9ES Digital Processor (DAC) B&W 501 Speakers Sony PS-333 Turntable I'd love to hook up the PC to the EP9ES. My motherboard...
  18. cowdog360

Keep Sony CDP-208ES or Harman Kardon FL 8385

Hello all, I have a Sony 208ES that I repaired that works and sounds great. I did just get a Harman Kardon FL 8385 for $5 at a garage sale. I only have room for one of these in my house (per the wife's rule). Which would be the better of the two? They both seem nice, but I'm leaning...
  19. cowdog360

Pics of my Kenwood KA-9100 cleanup and repaint

In my other thread I discussed how I found a KA-9100 in my brother in law's old basement room. I've spent the last week taking it apart dusting, cleaning, de-oxiting, de-fluxing and even some re-painting. I went with the advice on hte forum about using the Rustoleum Hammer Black paint. It's a...
  20. cowdog360

BIGG of California Reproducers BOC-P14

Hello all, I'm cleaning out my brother in law's former basement, which includes a lot of random older audio equipment. I'm keeping a few pieces but selling most of it to help my wife's parents out. These are an interesting find, and I've found very very little on the internet about them...
  21. cowdog360

Bose 601 Series II - Repair advice?

So I found a couple of Bose 601 Series II in my in-laws basement that I'd like to resell for them (doing a lot of cleanup). All of the woofers need re-foaming, but unfortunately 2 of the woofers have mouse damage. Is it possible to patch the woofer and refoam, or am I looking at re-coning...
  22. cowdog360

My first amp (basement find), Kenwood KA-9100

I was busy this weekend cleaning out my brother in laws old room (unfortunately). There's a lot of old dusty audio gear in there. Initially I was pretty pleased to have found some good condition B&W DM302's which sound great. Underneath an old desk was a very heavy dusty Kenwood KA-9100. It...
  23. cowdog360

Hello from Vancouver, WA

Hello all from the pacific northwest. I stumbled across this forum after looking for information on several different pieces of equipment that I'm discovering in my wife's parent's basement. We're cleaning out her brother's old room and there is a lot of random assorted vintage equipment in...
Back
Top Bottom