Search results

1. Charlie

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Thanks, folks. I am spending it at sea... headed to Alaska. Be there in about 4 days... with our wifi just barely hanging on by a thread, bubble gum, and belly button lint! :D
  2. Charlie

Happy Birthday to Charlie!

3. Charlie

Thanks! :biggrin:
  4. Charlie

Thanks Thanks Thanks :beerchug:
  5. Charlie

THANKS! :jump:
  6. Charlie

The Doors Strange Days Reel is STRANGE

That's interesting. I bet it took you by surprise the first time you heard that!
  7. Charlie

yeah once you get past the first 5 to 7 minutes, it's normal. I would have been pretty mad, too, had I bought that and found it dragging that much! But then, it was the late-60's, and people were stoned. It's always possible that someone listening just thought, "Wow! This is some awesome...
  8. Charlie

The flip side of the reel does just the opposite. The latter half of When the Music's Over starts to slow down. I assume these tapes were dubbed laying both side A and side B tracks at the same time,
  9. Charlie

Ahh... yes I see what you're saying. They were describing the entire album as being off. I guess I just thought it was odd than an entire song would be slow. I've seen stretches in tapes before... usually just in a small area... so you hear it slow down and speed back up. In this case of...
  10. Charlie

So then, when I read these articles about tape speed error, you suspect they are inaccurate? The following comes from http://mildequator.com/recordinghistory/studioinfo.html Further analysis of the original release reveals a tape-speed error in which the tracks gradually run slower. In 2007...
  11. Charlie

I have a small stack of reels that a friend recently gave me. One of them is a pre-recorded reel of Strange Days by The Doors. The clarity and quality of the recording is pretty good considering it's at 3 3/4. But something didn't sound just right. I thought something was wrong with the...
  12. Charlie

Anyone have any issues with RMGI tape?

I could see that as being a possible reason for the dragging on my X700R. Interesting!
  13. Charlie

I spoke to the seller/dealer. He had a suggestion to check all of the tape guides and possibly turn them around 180 degrees in case they were worn out. Unfortunately, I was packing to go to sea, and did not have the time to start fiddling with tape decks. I will have to wait till the...
  14. Charlie

It appears he is... his auctions do indeed say authorized dealer at the top of the auction.. I'm sure there won't be a problem. I'm mostly disappointed because the tape didn't do well. I noticed last night that I don't seem to have a problem on my 3340S. I might try it on my 909 later. I...
  15. Charlie

I got it on eBay. At first, the only thing I questioned was the fact the boxes weren't shrink wrapped. But I figured it was a cost-cutting thing not to shrink wrap boxes anymore. Even when you run the tape through your fingers, it feels different from what I'm used to. It's got that...
  16. Charlie

Lately, I've taken interest in trying out the freshly made RMGI LPR35 tape. I was curious to rediscover the experience of using "freshly made" tape. I mostly use Maxell. I occasionally use Scotch 203 and 207, Quantegy 407, and TDK Audua. None of it is "freshly made" tape, but I've always...
  17. Charlie

Do you like the new format???

Don't like it. Not enough contrast with colors.
  18. Charlie

Silvertone Power Supply Question

All good points! Initially, I was attracted to it for the output transformers and the amount of space under the chassis to work with.
  19. Charlie

Thanks for the tips, guys. Pio, I will check out your thread... thanks. Gadget, you were right... that C cap feeds the 12ax7 plates. I clipped off too much of that photo and didn't notice where it went to till you mentioned it. I like this particular amp because it's already set up for 8 ohm...
  20. Charlie

I recently got a nice little Silvertone P/P amp. So far, I've only replaced the ceramic coupler caps with dipped caps... sounds really nice so far. I will replace electrolytics next, but almost hate to since there is ZERO hum in this amp. In the following diagram, C316b, C316c and C316d...
  21. Charlie

The hottest nudes: show 'em to me (AMPS folks, just tube amplifiers, etc...)

Ferninando, I think your post, like mine, is to be directed at Bob Smog. That's his gear. :yes:
  22. Charlie

The hottest nudes: show 'em to me (AMPS folks, just tube amplifiers, etc...)

This is an old thread with some really neat photos! Was curious, Bob... in your second photo, is that a Grado turntable that just barely got into the picture?
  23. Charlie

Curtis Mathes Madness

Good point about shifting values. I might try tacking some caps in there to see what happens. I will look around this week and see if I can find those spare transformers... I know they're here somewhere!
  24. Charlie

Curtis Mathes Madness

I did not (at least did not intend to) drill out the old caps... but rather the section between the two where the migration from one side to the other takes place. So now, the wafer of mica in there should be in two pieces... each piece being one cap. That's kinda the idea. Unfortunately, I...
  25. Charlie

Curtis Mathes Madness

No, no headphone jack. I don't think they got headphone jacks till later when they started going solid state.
Back
Top Bottom