Search results

1. Mark_71

Belated Introduction & Thank You - Signing Off

I never did a proper introduction. My friend said it was never too late, but my shyness, even in anonymous groups, gets the better of me. Like many here, I do no social media, but I’ve been an avid reader of this forum for years and eventually a paid subscriber, something I highly recommend if...
  2. Mark_71

Tandberg TCD 310 Cassette Deck - Refurbed and working

Thanks jduerbin1, I'll look into the Switchcraft. I ordered one belt kit from Marrs and the other from eBay (seller: revox_de). The eBay seller ships from Germany. They were identical as far as I could tell. The capstan belt worked just fine.
  3. Mark_71

Tandberg TCD 310 Cassette Deck - Refurbed and working

Tandberg TCD 310 I finally got my Tandberg TCD 310 cassette deck in perfect working order. I ordered it off eBay for $200 and just stored it away for a rainy day. A bit expensive for this Tandberg model, but it it was in near mint condition with the original box, original paperwork, and even...
  4. Mark_71

From maximist to minimalist: The story of my evolution.

I’ve gone back and forth between a collector and minimalist. I’m a collector at heart as I’ve always collected things, but I often rid myself of them once I’ve learned enough. But music has been with me a long time. I’m meticulous, everything is cleaned and restored, often I find the original...
  5. Mark_71

'Dim' lamps on Technics SA-700 receiver - normal?

You have the correct conclusion. I have an SA-700 as my main receiver and the tuner lights are quite dim compared to a Marantz or Pioneer. It's always bothered me a bit, but I've decided I can live with the subdued look. It's a beautiful classic 70s receiver. I've replaced all the bulbs too -...
  6. Mark_71

Stabilizing my Technics turntable

These might work for you. I cut the small cheap rubber OEM feet off my Technics SL-D202 and replaced them w/ these. Well worth $32. I had to buy four appropriately-sized bolts to fasten them on, but that's all. They're meant for a 1200, which I assume has threads, not so with many of the other...
  7. Mark_71

What Artist passing affected you the most

David Bowie I’ve always loved his music, but he was bigger than just music. He made Blackstar as a goodbye album; he knew he was dying. I just can’t fathom that. It’s hard to watch the last seconds of the Lazarus video. Maybe more than anything, he reaches back to my childhood, to the escapism...
  8. Mark_71

Washington DC Thorens TT

I was planning on going to that sale today, then I saw the address was Massachusetts Ave NE. Way down in Capitol Hill. I was hoping it was NW. That guy had a signed Lichenstein in addition to that TT.
  9. Mark_71

Cambridge Audio Azur 651p Pre-Amp Not Working

UPDATE I have the correct AC wall wart. I opened it up and listened carefully for the "click" after powering it on and it was indeed audible. I'm certain I never noticed it before, but I never had the cover off. Tried every possible setting - still no sound. I've tried it on other systems with a...
  10. Mark_71

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I almost tossed it. I have a Vincent 701 on the way, but now I can play around with this and not worry about doing too much damage. Thanks, again!
  11. Mark_71

CD player: Vintage vs. New, your thoughts please

My luck with Goodwill and eBay CD players has been pretty poor. Last week at GW, I picked up a nice Kenwood cassette player and the matching CD player (DP-1510). The cassette player worked without any work, I didn't even have to change the belt (I bought one anyway), but the CD player, like most...
  12. Mark_71

New Schiit Saga - Passive preamp

I do, but I wanted to try our some external ones to see if it made any difference. Even a modest improvement.
  13. Mark_71

So am I not realizing all the potential uses for this? I was thinking it was just a phono pre-amp. If it boosts a phono signal up to line-level, won't it over do (boost too much) a CD or Tapes signal which is already at line-level? Or is that what the volume control is for? And so having all...
  14. Mark_71

Thanks, everyone. I verified the power was on, the power light was illuminated. I plugged the TT into the MM inputs and then the outputs to the Aux on my Technics receiver. It's a 1970s receiver so I don't have other inputs, no CD, etc. I know the Aux input works because I've tested it with many...
  15. Mark_71

What's the purpose of having 5 inputs on the back? I expect 1 pair hooked up to the TT, but what would the other 4 be used for?
  16. Mark_71

UPDATE I went out and bought a cheap $20 preamp and it worked just fine on my system. Once again, I swapped back the Azur 651p and no sound. I took it apart to look for any glaring issues, but nothing jumped out. Maybe just a bad unit. Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions. I bought it a...
  17. Mark_71

I have a Technics SA-700 receiver and normally I use the built-in phono stage. It's always worked well, in fact, the built-in phono input has worked on all my old vintage gear. But I've always been curious about what an external pre-amp would sound like. I tried this once before. I already had...
  18. Mark_71

Why did the receiver war of the 70s end?

I live in the Washington DC area and on the Metro (subway) this is getting increasingly common. The train could be full and everyone is respecting the rules, except one kid playing his cRAP over a blue tooth speaker for everyone enjoyment. I just don't get the disrespect. There are signs posted...
  19. Mark_71

What began your enthusiasm? i.e. what was the unit that did it?

AIWA M700 Cassette Deck I went to high school in the 1980s and grew up in a family that didn't care much about audio quality or equipment. They bought cheap all-in-ones. When I asked for a nice stereo I got a cheap Panasonic. I bought my first Technics rack system around 1990. It was nice...
  20. Mark_71

What was the worst new tape deck you ever purchased?

Technics RS-TR373 https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/rs-tr373.shtml I have about a dozen cassette decks. I love the nostalgia. And I'm pretty brand loyal. I love Technics equipment. But I was not impressed w/ their late 1990s cassette decks. The reviews are pretty good on this...
  21. Mark_71

Technics 1350 Top Plastic Cover

I purchased my 1360 on eBay about five years ago. It was my everyday turntable until I refurbished another one. The only problem I ever had was when I bought it, it didn't hold speed (pitch), but a simple cleaning and DeoxIt of the pitch control pots fixed that and it's been holding the perfect...
  22. Mark_71

Technics 1350 Top Plastic Cover

I have the Technics 1360 (dual voltage version of the 1350). I have the original dustcover, but it's got a good sized crack in it and a chunk missing. I have the large stacking spindle, but I almost never use it, so it always has the single play spindle on it. I say that because my solution is...
  23. Mark_71

My new TEAC A-1250 S - Dirtiest machine ever! (RESTORED PICS)

How did you buff them out? Was any compound used? I have all kinds of things at home, but not sure what would be the best to use. Thanks!
  24. Mark_71

My new TEAC A-1250 S - Dirtiest machine ever! (RESTORED PICS)

I am playing some pretty old tapes. That guide arm only jumps when I play it in reverse. Forward exhibits no issues. But these are old pre-recorded tapes from the early 1970s. I'm not the original owner so I have no idea how they were stored, but I'm surprised at how many musty reel boxes I get...
  25. Mark_71

What is a good starter RTR?

I'm a few weeks ahead of you with my entry into R2Rs. I enjoy restoring old cassette players, but R2Rs just seemed out of my league and I heard they were expensive (and the accessories are). So I looked around a bit and went to a vintage audio store and checked out some AKAIs. My #1 choice was...
Back
Top Bottom