Search results

1. A

MsB link dac opinions?

I used three different versions. I moved to Channel Islands DAC which was much better ten years ago. I currently use a Topping D70. Sadly I do not see vintage DACs as pleasing. A current day $300 DAC will outperform a majority of vintage DACs.
  2. A

Looking for a tube amp recommendation that will not require a second mortgage

Never heard a poor Scott phono section. I sold my LK-48 to help pay for my VRD Stereo amp and it would have sat unused. A competently rebuilt Scott is an amazing amp with relatively efficient speakers.
  3. A

Scott Stereomaster 340 restoration questions

neither preamp or power tubes light up? Check for fuse being burned out somewhere; but consider sending it to a competent tech. Tube receivers are quite busy with components and wire www.nosvalves.com would be good alternative for rebuild
  4. A

La Scalas - what do I have here?

I run any mod overnight for a few nights with the tuner to get the caps formed. Should be sweet. Rick
  5. A

Need a good Hi-Fi repair/upgrade guy for Scott 299C

Craig is the guy I somehow (through divine intervention :yikes::yikes::yikes:) found a few years ago. It is not just the vintage gear getting refurbished, it is the knowledge you can gain by the dialog with Craig. As far as shipping amps it can be risky. A careful hour or less spent packaging...
  6. A

RF 5's

I have only heard them once, a very unappreciated speaker. I would like to hear a pair with higher quality caps in the networks. My RB-5 are quite nice in the bedroom. RF-5 has to be serious bass.
  7. A

Dynaco PAS-2 then PAS-3 all bad

Pas 2 Ok... I have been through PAS 2, Scott 130, Eico and Ampex vintage pre amps in the past 3-4 years. All (except for the Scott I borrowed)were decent if could be found for less than $ 250 stock. PAS and Eico phono were not very dynamic in the phono stage compared to the Ampex and the...
  8. A

Klipsch- why your attraction & enthusiasm...

Worst mistake I found early was Roger Daltery overdriving his microphone. Poor CDs and LPs sound really poor with Klipsch; as they should. 20 year old or better Klipsch speakers usually sound poor with the origonal capacitors in the networks.
  9. A

Scott and Sherwood for Rich Beginners

I third the NOS Valves recomendation. My first tube amp as an adult, a Scott LK-48 (rebuilt by NOS Valves) is in my bedroom system with Klipsch RB-5s.
  10. A

affordable integrated?

I have heard a few vintage tube integrateds ovetr the past 5 years. I am a Scott guy. My least favorite is EICO or Harmon Kardon (I like there SS integrateds for my kids stereos. Pretty easy to get a vintage tube amp and have it refurbed for less than $ 800; prbably less than $ 600...
  11. A

Blasphemy...or at least Heresy???

I do not mind SS amps for the HT rig but just cannot listen to SS for 2 channel anymore. I have MY Scott LK-48 running my Klipsch KSB 3.1 in the bedroom; although there is no soundstage to speak of the music is pleasant. The few times I have heard Mc amps I have not been drawn to listen...
  12. A

Who is Going to the 2006 AK Fest?

I am in.
  13. A

Looking to get into tubes.

AudioFlynn, You're spot on about the phono sections on some of these vintage integrateds-some of these old units play vinyl with a grace which belies their age. My Scott 299C was a real eye-opener, if mallus is a big vinyl fan, then a restored vintage integrated may in fact fit the bill...
  14. A

Looking to get into tubes.

One big factor for some that I have thought about for the past few days wheil out of the country on business; is the bonus of more than mid fi performance of the phono sections in some vintage tube integrateds or preamp. Many brand new tube integrateds are quite pricey before a decent phono...
  15. A

How do the 200g and 180g Vinyls sound?

Album weight is probably the 87th factor to consider. Mastering process, pressing run, digital influence, country of orgin, original tapes or copies, and many other factors go into sound quality of a vinyl pressing. ======== Agreed Duetsch Gramophon makes pretty awesome pressings that...
  16. A

whats the best speaker youv ever owned

Klipsch Chorus II It is not a folded horn like a K Horn or LaScala; but I feel perhaps I can get a little bit more freedom moving them around for optimal placment wih the direct radiator woofer. Rumor I heard was this was the last speaker design he was involed in from a detail basis. I liked...
  17. A

Miscellaneous ramblings about AKFest 2K5

Rambling... Forgot I put my raffle tickets in my check book until Sunday night; DUH! THose little Royd speakers are not normal; was there a camoflaged in wall speaker in that room? Many of the turnatlbes I saw was the first time in person; where art meets audio meets music. Really nice...
  18. A

What the most useless/unreliable piece of Hi-Fi you have ever owned?

Aiwa cassette deck that looked like a wedge. Always ran slow. Never had any good performance from a cassette deck even with high quality tape. Always seemed to bend needles on Empire cartridges in College.
  19. A

What got you started/addicted to Hi-Fi

2 big hooks into audio for me. My parents had the top of the line Motorola stereo HIFI in 1959 the year before I was born. Tubes running a center mounted 15 inch mono woofer and 2 cabinet mounted sattelites. There were no baby sitters that were girls in my neihborhood. The guys next door...
  20. A

Thank You !

It was a great time. So many great ideas and new music to pursue. They Buddy Rich Mel Torme LP I heard was very rare and in amazing shape. My sons got a chance to see more than what Dad sneaks inthe door at home. My son Matt had his new speakers in place from the used sale at lunch in...
  21. A

Check in here if you're coming!

A restruant option some out of towners may not get very often is the authenticity of the middle eastern food we have in East Dearborn. Just take the Southfield (M-39) south past I-96 to Michigan Avenue ( about 8 miles south of the Hotel. Exit to the east past Ford World headquaters. The...
  22. A

Why are 7199's so dang expensive?

You have to be patient. I have 2 7199s I am waiting for arrival of in the mail. Not a great brand but Zenith was always a good reliable TV for me. The 7199s are for my Scott LK-48. Driver for my Scott 208 are 6U8; a breeze to get a good pair for about 15 USD.
  23. A

Best Bang For The Buck Ever?

Some amazing hardware stories. I did get a mint Yamaha CT-800 tuner for $ 70 delivered. It is a beast and seems to have all the makings of a good DXer. It was not reveiwed by www.fmtunerinfo.com but was supposed to be second to the top of the line in 1974. I do have a good customer of mine...
  24. A

Looking for Cheap, Decent Vintage Receiver

I would clean as well. If you are consideing HK the integrateds are not bad either. Before I got into tube separates it was my back up to my tube integrated. les fatigueing than my Denon SS integrateds.
  25. A

Check in here if you're coming!

I am going to be in for both days.
Back
Top Bottom