Search results

1. louisjames

Which Used Subaru Forester Would You Buy?

Looking at two Subaru Foresters. One is a 2013 2.5X Premium from Carvana with 82K for $14,900 and the other is a local dealer who has a 2016 2.5i Premium with 88K for $15,600. The 2013 has the 4-speed automatic while the 2016 has the CVT. Which I know a lot of folks don't care for but which seem...
  2. louisjames

Under-Sink Water Filter?

Anyone here have experience with either the ProOne FS10, Aquasana 5300 or Clearly Filtered triple-filter systems? I read that the Clearly Filtered and ProOne don't need a separate spigot installed but can cut down on the water pressure. The Aquasana 5300 seems like a good option and is less...
  3. louisjames

Used Miata Buying Suggestions?

I want to do something nice for the wife. She has her heart set on a Miata but there's no way I can afford a new one. Plus she likes the older ones better. Like with all used cars, prices are high and all over the place and not many available at dealers here in Southern California. Any thoughts...
  4. louisjames

Updated - Memorial Information - Santa (Glen) has passed

I've been in touch with Glen's wife and she asked me to pass along the following info for Glen Egan's Celebration of Life: Walnut Creek Elks Lodge 1475 Creekside Drive Walnut Creek, CA Sunday, November 19th from Noon - 3PM For those who can attend please feel free to bring a photo or share a...
  5. louisjames

nolasally = first rate AK'er

Great AK'er to deal with. Can't say enough good things about him!
  6. louisjames

10" (8 ohm) Guitar Amp Speaker Suggestions?

I recently got a Princeton Reverb 65 Reissue amp and don't particularly like the stock Jensen ceramic. I've tried the P10R which is the AlNiCo version and that was a bit better but still not what I'm looking for. Which is a clean and articulated sound with chime and a bit of warmth. Suggestions...
  7. louisjames

What's Your Go-To Delay?

Could be vintage like a DM2/3, AD9, DOD FX90, Arion, etc, or a modern take like the Carbon Copy, etc. Would like you thoughts on this and the gear you use it with and what you like / dislike about the pedal. If you use a Yamaha e1005 / e1010 or Ibanez AD202 would be interested in thoughts on...
  8. louisjames

Best way to pack MA6200 for shipping?

I'm pretty sure the unit should be separate from the wooden case and each should ship in their own box. But would like suggestions on the best way to make sure the unit safely gets to it's destination.
  9. louisjames

NYT Article About Michael Cleveland

Great story and talent! 'Michael Cleveland was born blind and mostly deaf. That was only the beginning of his journey to become one of modern bluegrass’s most compelling musicians.' https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/arts/music/michael-cleveland-fiddler.html
  10. louisjames

60s Japanese '335'

My friend Chris (Chris Guitars) posted this on his site. I know some of the guys here are into oddballs. And while this same guitar was sold under multiple brands. They're still pretty cool and this one is in really nice condition. Open book headstock too.
  11. louisjames

Who are you using for managed investments?

When I was working I had my employee 401K managed by Fidelity and have stayed with them. I'm no longer that satisfied with how they are managing my "wealth" so wanted to see what other folks might be doing. A neighbor has recommended Fisher Investments (heavy radio ads) while others I've spoken...
  12. louisjames

Old Versus the Newer

Over the weekend my C2200 started acting odd so I pulled it out of the rack. Was going to test the tubes but found out there are no longer any testers in my area. In any event, my wife wanted to hear how her newly acquired MA6200 sounded with the Tannoy's. I have to say we were in for a bit of...
  13. louisjames

Preamp to Amp Cable Question

I have to use my MA6200 as a preamp with my MC302 while the C2200 gets serviced. I typically only use XLR cables so will need to get a RCA to RCA cable. Any particular quality cable or rating I need to be aware of?
  14. louisjames

What song would you use to test that...

a pair of speakers are reproducing the full range properly? would you use a mono or stereo track?
  15. louisjames

What Dog Flea & Tick Do You Use?

Was using the Soresto collar but the vet said to stop using it. Have tried Frontline and Revolution in the past. The spot treatments seem somewhat 'better' than the oral stuff but each have their plusses and minuses. There's also the home treatments like vinegar & water solution, Neem oil, etc...
  16. louisjames

Parman Thumbs Up!

Got 2 records from Parman. Both exactly as described and the Roy sounds excellent. Thanks so much!
  17. louisjames

Pop Up Gazebos?

Anyone have any luck with these? A wood gazebo is too costly right now, so this pop up looked like a good compromise. Another thought was the ribbed screen houses. Wife wants to be outside but w/o the No-See-Ums which are rampant this year. Thoughts...
  18. louisjames

How Do You Unbox Big Speakers?

Two boxes with floor standing speakers (we'll use a pair of JBL 240 Ti's as an example with the boxes measuring 40" high x 21" wide x 16" deep, weight approximately 90 pounds) arrive. There is tape on the top and bottom as expected, but you're not sure of the packing material inside. What do...
  19. louisjames

How far from an outlet should speakers be placed?

The 20A quad outlet and 15A single outlet are right in back of the only place I can put my floor standing speaker. I'm thinking of having my electrician add another 20A quad that is closer to the stereo rack so that the power lines are not right near the speaker. But before I go the expense...
  20. louisjames

4v or 5v Output?

Is there a way to determine which output setting to use on a Topping DAC? I asked Topping about this and they said that in theory there was no real difference between the two and either would work. But that didn't seem to answer my question. Would using the 5V output potentially overload the...
  21. louisjames

Klipsch R-51M - $145 (pair) at Klipsch & Best Buy

Not sure if this is the right forum but thought I would pass this along. Klipsch is having their "Christmas in July" sale. https://www.klipsch.com/specials https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=klipsch+r-51m
  22. louisjames

Solar or Home Generator?

Given the above average seasonal temperatures and rolling blackouts, strain / overload on the power grid, etc., sure to come this summer, I'm thinking generator is the best bet. Solar with a battery backup would be nice. But the costs seem pretty insignificant. So I can't do both. I have more...
  23. louisjames

Value of unrestored Kenwood KA5002 / KT5000?

Uncle has this set. He is the original owner and has used them on and off over the years. Both units work and sound OK. But should probably be checked and fixed up. Faceplates are in excellent condition, wood cabinet fronts and sides have some bumps but nothing major. Thoughts on a $ value and...
  24. louisjames

Easy Home Theater for Older Couple?

I'm trying to help out an elderly couple who need things to be really simple and also something their cats won't destroy. They have a pretty nice TCL Roku TV and most anything would be a step up as they are using the TV speakers at present. I looked at home theater systems but an AVR will...
  25. louisjames

Copy of JBL 240 Ti Owners Manual?

Does anyone have a copy or PDF of the owners manual for these speakers. I found the 2 page "tech" handout but wanted to see if an owners manual is available. Thanks Jon
Back
Top Bottom