Search results

1. Lower Tones

Vintage Tube Amp - What is it?

This amplifier will require an electrodynamic speaker. Please, if you are new to this sort of amplifier, be careful of the high voltage at the speaker connection (450V would not be unusual) used to energize the field coil/electromagnet on the speaker. There is a mod you can do where you use a...
  2. Lower Tones

B&W DM3 speakers with factory(?) with round woofer

Anybody? The woofers appear to be factory, with both tweeters in each speaker definitely originals, but I have been unable to find any info on B & W using round woofers as opposed to the oval ones commonly seen in DM3s. Thanks for any info which might be provided, Aidan
  3. Lower Tones

Unsoldering & soldering ground lugs

easy, peasy oh, and cheap. you would not believe the heat. His comment about solder "puddles on the chassis" is true. I have one gun dedicated to chassis work.
  4. Lower Tones

Good tube literature

My "go to" site for tube info http://nj7p.org/Tubes/SQL/Tube.php
  5. Lower Tones

B&W DM3 speakers with factory(?) with round woofer

Hello. I have a pair of DM3 speakers, purchased about 15 years ago from original owner, in Canada, fitted with round woofers. The woofers have what might be rubber surround as opposed to foam. Has anyone heard of this version of a DM3 before? Thanks very much, Aidan
  6. Lower Tones

Marantz 2245 traded for Eico ST-40 a fair trade?

I received a call from a friend in Ottawa, Canada, who asked me what I thought about the subject line. He has a small collection of audio gear, and is thinking about swapping his Marantz 2245 in excellent condition, for an Eico ST-40, which looks to be in good shape. He likes both SS and hollow...
  7. Lower Tones

Eico ST40.....

This is an old topic, but I think it important to state that, prior to sending this amp back to the friend, the push-pull pairs should have been biased, each channel. Not setting the bias means that the matched quad of tubes probably isn't any more. I'd bet that one tube per pair is suffering...
  8. Lower Tones

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

NOT having read all 92 (93?) pages of responses, I run the risk of repeating another members peeves. Nevertheless, these are a couple of mine (among many) :) People who cannot differentiate between "then" and "than", as in 'I would rather a soup then a sandwich', at which point I would serve...
  9. Lower Tones

Cerwin Vega hed h-15 Speakers

durotex version H-series hey ggonzo. along with the first set of h-15's i had, i also had a set of h-12's. as i recall (25 years ago) looked like a miniature version of the h-15's but with only one tweeter and of course a 12" instead of a 15" woofer. as far as "muddy" goes, i don't hear that...
  10. Lower Tones

Magic eye VU meter

(old thread, but seems to be quite a bit of interest in this) hi there, les, et al. IT WORKS!! thank you very much, sir(s). nice addition to my first tube amp build. best, aidan
  11. Lower Tones

Marantz 2245 powering up problem

old thread, but this advice worked for me so thought i'd share Perfect! c806, although "looks okay", was indeed the culprit in my situation. it would take 12 or more seconds (GAK!), then i'd hear a buzzing as the relay struggled to close, then finally contact was made. i had already set idle...
  12. Lower Tones

Cerwin Vega hed h-15 Speakers

older thread, but had to chime in and agree with turboyam. original colour was/is a dark(ish) grey. bought my first pair in 1978 in st. john's, nfld, canada. sold them, and a matching pair of h12's in 1990. just bought another pair of h-15's, and finished the refoaming last night. they sound...
Back
Top Bottom