Search results

1. Talk_Louder

Couple of Refurbish Issues for MCS 3275

I finally got hold of Dads old MCS 3275 reciever. For the most part it is in pristine condition. There isn't a single scratch or blemish anywhere to the face plate or cabinet, and it functions just fine, which I understand can be a rarity in itself. With that said, it has two issues that I...
  2. Talk_Louder

Using The Elite SC 77 as a Preamp?

I would post this in the home theater section, but my inquiry is all about two channel stereo. So if this is in the wrong place, forgive me and send it into the great abyss. Better yet, send it to HT folks if you have to. Anyway... I have a fairly nice home theater AND a fairly nice audio...
  3. Talk_Louder

EMIT K Mystery

One of the Emits stopped working on my 1987 model 7 Kappas. As I was mad, I found a pair on ebay and snapped them up. This morning I opened the box to find what looks like a pristine pair of Emit K's. Both read 3 ohms (yeah, that's why these things are hard to drive). Anyway... When I removed...
  4. Talk_Louder

Pioneer SC-77 CD Disc Needed

I just picked up a Pioneer SC-77 receiver. I'll be replacing an old junk HT receiver, and will be using it as a preamp for my Denon POA 2400. The guy I bought this unit from said there was no CD in the box (AVNavigator). I'll bet he tossed it with the box. Whatever. Anyway... I really would...
  5. Talk_Louder

High Priced Vinyl. Is This Normal?

I haven't purchased any vinyl in a long time. But is this the norm now? https://www.yahoo.com/makers/why-this-record-stores-750-lps-are-hot-sellers-112730604250.html I'm glad I got both of these the first time around. I may be sitting on a gold mine! :yes:
  6. Talk_Louder

Which Shure Cartridge Do I Have?

I am looking for a replacement stylus for my Shure R1000 cartridge. I downloaded the Shure cross reference guide to find a good match, but lo and behold, all the "R1000" series cartridges have suffixes like E, ED, EDT, or XT. My cartridge is simply marked "R1000". The current stylus in the...
  7. Talk_Louder

JC Penney MCS Series

Back in 1976, JC Penny gave me (and my new wife) my first credit. It was for a little 12" color TV, but the credit line also got me started in the stereo world. I bought several pieces of MCS gear, and still use the turntable to this day. When I upgraded to my Denon/Infinity system, I simply...
  8. Talk_Louder

Leave Power On or Turn it Off?

I am an industrial electrical/ instrumentation manager. In my thirty four year career, I have learned that almost everything in my world lasts longer when left to idle instead of turned off. The theory is that moisture cannot build up and wick into the electronics if the equipment is kept warm...
  9. Talk_Louder

Soldered Woofer Connections

I am in process of re-foaming my Kappa 7 woofers. As luck would have it, Infinity soldered the spade connectors to the speaker terminals. It looks to me like a real beech to de-solder these big azz connectors without four hands, a blowtorch and a six pack. However, as I am an electrician, I...
  10. Talk_Louder

Something Cute Overheard

My wife was in a coffee shop yesterday and overheard two young girls talking about a boy they knew and his Christmas: Girl one: "He got a real record player.... and a vinyl of Lady Gaga!" Girl two: "His parents are sooooo cool!" Girl one: "Oh yeah!" She just smiled.
  11. Talk_Louder

Kappa 7 Repairs

As I've been lurking and searching the archives, I've become acutely aware that the polydomes on my poor Kappa 7’s are no longer made or available (both domes virtually turned to dust). I have also seen the name of an outfit thrown around that can at least get them back in working order. That...
  12. Talk_Louder

New Guy from NW Indiana

Hey all, old guy checking in from Northwest Indiana (just one click from Chicago). I doubt that I qualify as an audio nut, but I know what I like. I have had the same gear since the eighties, and it has served me well enough to impare my hearing! But, my speakers are really showing their age...
Back
Top Bottom