Search results

1. crn3371

Unbalanced interconnects length

Circumstances have forced me to reconfigure my system layout and now my turntable requires 12’-15’ of cable to reach my integrated amp. I was using my amps built-in phono stage (Anthem STR) but now need to use a phono preamp because of the distance. Will rca interconnects be a problem going from...
  2. crn3371

Equipment burn in question

I’m going to be purchasing a new DAC in the near future and want to make sure I burn it in as much as possible during the trial period. If I run my streamer through the DAC, but mute my speakers, is that the same as if I had the speakers unmuted?
  3. crn3371

Phono stage question

With regards to a MC phono stage, how much are you missing out on by not having adjustable loading? The internal MC stage on my Anthem STR Integrated has adjustable gain and multiple EQ curves to choose from, but loading for MC is fixed at 100 ohms. How much of a disadvantage is that vs a stage...
  4. crn3371

Cartridge Loading

I’m considering purchasing a Van Den Hul MC-One cartridge. The internal resistance is 9 ohms, and recommended preamp load is 200 ohms. My pre is non adjustable at 100 ohms. Would this be a poor match?
  5. crn3371

From LS50’s to Heresy III’s, am I crazy?

I’ve got the upgrade itch for new speakers in my small (11x12x8) dedicated listening room. The LS50’s have great soundstage and imaging, I’m just looking for something with more body to the sound. The KEF Reference 1’s seem like the logical upgrade, but are a bit too pricey for me. Since I got...
  6. crn3371

Mint protractor, take 2

My first thread was incomplete, so let’s try it again. I have a Mint protractor for a Music Hall Ikura, which uses a Pro-Ject 9 tonearem. Since all of the 9 series of arms have the same geometry, is it safe to assume that the Mint will work on any table that has some iteration of the 9 series arm?
  7. crn3371

SME tonearm question

I have a JVC QL50 direct drive turntable that currently has an Infinity Black Widow arm attached. I’d like to switch out the BW for a SME arm, as they use the same mount. I’m looking at either the M2-9R or the M2-10 arms. My question concerns pivot to spindle distance. The BW has a 222mm pivot...
  8. crn3371

Aftermarket counterweights.

Do they make a difference?
  9. crn3371

Rondo Red Question

I just purchased a new Ortofon Rondo Red from a dealer over on A-gon. When I received it I was surprised to find it in unmarked generic packaging. There was a note enclosed apologizing for packaging, stating they ran out of the fancy Ortofon packaging, and assuring me that the cartridge IS new...
  10. crn3371

Tracking problem

Just dug an old table out of mothballs. JVC QL50 table, Black Widow arm, Micro-Acoustics 630 system II cartridge of unknown condition. Fired everything up, put on a favorite disk, and it won’t track. Just keeps skipping, playing same portion of song over and over, like it’s just stuck in same...
  11. crn3371

2M Black question

I want to upgrade the 2M Blue cartridge on my Music Hall Ikura turntable. Thinking about the 2M Black (or maybe Bronze). I also have another table with a Black Widow arm. Would the 2M Black work on both arms? Effective mass on Ikura arm is 11 grams, Black Widow is 3 grams. If not the 2M Black...
  12. crn3371

Modern vs vintage

I have a thread running on turntable vs cartridge, now I’ll switch gears to turntable vs turntable. In my cartridge thread I referenced that I’m using a Music Hall Ikura turntable. I also have a like new JVC QL50 turntable with a Black Widow arm. Is this older combo worth reinvestigating over...
  13. crn3371

Turntable vs cartridge

Is there a point where cartridge quality outweighs the ability of the turntable/tonearm to resolve everything the cartridge has to offer? For example, I have a Music Hall Ikura turntable, it’s considered to be a good mid-fi table. Is it safe to assume that it can handle most modern higher end...
  14. crn3371

Thorens TD160

Time for some housecleaning. Trying to determine value of an all original TD160. I’m original owner. Plinth in excellent condition. Dust cover has the usual swirls, with the only fault being that the plastic hinge arms are broke off. Have manual and original box and packing. Thanks
  15. crn3371

REL subwoofer connections

Currently using a REL T5 sub with KEF LS50’s in my dedicated 2 channel system. I just ordered the new Anthem STR stereo integrated amp. This amp comes with 2 sub outs, along with built-in Anthem Room Correction. I’ve been using the high level connections with the included Speakon cable. Now that...
  16. crn3371

Luxman, Marantz, or McIntosh?

In my quest to upgrade my NAD375BEE (driving LS50’s) I thought that the answer was going to be a McIntosh integrated, either the MA6300 or the MA5200/5300. Now, my McIntosh decision was mostly emotional, having lusted after the blue meters since I got into this “hobby” back in the 70’s. In my...
  17. crn3371

D100 digital preamp

I’m going to be picking up a MA6300 integrated and will need a dac to handle the digital end of things. I hadn’t even considered McIntosh for dac duty but then I saw a pic of the D100 stacked on the 6300 and liked how it looked. At $1500 the D100 isn’t exactly cheap for a dac. Can I do better...
  18. crn3371

Streaming volume

When I stream via airplay, using iPad or iPhone, I have always wondered how to correctly handle the 2 separate volume controls. I can adjust the stream volume on my iPad, and also can adjust volume on my integrated amp. Is it better to control volume on my iPad, or on my amp? Do you set volume...
  19. crn3371

NAD vs McIntosh

I’m currently using a NAD C375BEE integrated (150w) to drive a pair of KEF LS50’s in my small dedicated listening room. Ever since I got into this hobby back in the 70’s I’ve lusted after the blue meters. I’ve been looking at the MA5200, either new or used. Would going to the MA5200 from the NAD...
  20. crn3371

NAD vs McIntosh

I’m currently using a NAD C375BEE to power a pair of KEF LS50’s in my small dedicated listening room. Now, ever since I got into this hobby back in the early 70’s, I’ve lusted after those lovely blue meters. This is a purely emotional choice, as I know that there’s plenty of cheaper, more...
  21. crn3371

Turntable pricing

I've got a couple of vintage turntables that I've had sitting in storage for well over 30 years. I'm the original owner on both. Thinking of selling, but unsure on pricing. Turntable #1 - Thorens TD160. Excellent condition. Original dust cover, but hinge tabs long since broken off. Belt is...
  22. crn3371

New bookshelf speakers $2k budget

Looking for some new speakers for my dedicated 2 channel room. Current speakers are RBH R55Ti towers driven by a NAD C375BEE integrated. My listening room is 12x12, with the stereo set up in a diagonal configuration across one of the corners. This setup yields a listening configuration of a 6'...
  23. crn3371

Hegel H70

Any opinions on this integrated? I hear mention of the H80 here in the forum, but not the H70. Besides a 5 watt increase in power are there any other major differences? Watching a new one on A-gon for $900 in my quest for a new amp.
  24. crn3371

Opinions on NAD pp375 phono module

I'm considering purchasing the NAD C375BEE integrated amp. I'm going to need a phono stage. Considering a budget of around $300, how is the NAD module compared to an external phono stage?
  25. crn3371

NAD C375BEE or Marantz PM8005

This is an offshoot of my $1500 integrated thread. I went into this 90% sure I was going to get the Rogue Sphinx. After some soul searching (and a reality check) I realized that I didn't think I could live without tone controls. I'm "tone bypass" whenever possible, but there are just some...
Back
Top Bottom