Search results

1. Porkloin

Subwoofer Enclosure Shape

I'm contemplating removing the components of my present subwoofer (Monitor Audio ASW 210) and mounting them into a custom enclosure (manufactured at Porkloin Audio) that better fit the location that I want to move it to (in between the front channel speakers). The plan is for the new enclosure...
  2. Porkloin

Potential Sub woofer Upgrade

Good day subwoofer afficianados, I have an old Monitor Audio subwoofer who's guts I want to transfer into a custom enclosure of the same volume but with modified dimensions to better fit the new location in the room. Building the enclosure gives me the opportunity to overcome the shortcomings...
  3. Porkloin

Converting gloss to matte

Good day wood lovers. I'm squirting some new walnut enclosures with as much lacquer as I can get on them while the weather is good. Then they'll sit behind the couch in the living room curing for a few weeks. As all coats in a clear coat project are gloss until the last one (if you want matte)...
  4. Porkloin

Spray Bomb Lacquer

I'm thinking of a small walnut pair of bookshelf speaker this summer with a clear coat on them and I'd like to take a stab at lacquer. The problem is that the regulator on my compressor is on the fritz and between that and buying a spray gun, it would bloat the budget of the project to the...
  5. Porkloin

Thinking of Taking on a Full Range Driver Project

Good day full range driver enthusiasts. I'm thinking of taking on a small project that more of a wood working homage to my first speakers ever as a teenager. I was thinking of keeping the guts simple with a full range driver and no crossover. I know that TangBand has a pretty good reputation and...
  6. Porkloin

Magnets - how long are they magnetic?

I've read that neodymium lose about 1% of their magnetism every 20 years. What about other magnetic materials? You rarely hear of anyone offereing "remagnetizing" services, so I would assume that it's a non-issue. Do I need to worry about my old AMT's , or is my hearing degrading faster than I...
  7. Porkloin

Old Bronze Colored ADS Metal Grilles

Does anyone know how the color of the flat metal grilles on olds ADS L models got their bronzish color? Were they anodized, or were they painted?
  8. Porkloin

L-Pad Wattage Ratings

Is there any point in getting an L-Pad rated for 50 - 100 watts for a tweeter? I see the ones at parts express that are about the size of a hockey puck, but in an upcoming crossover build, space is at a premium, and I could work with the smaller 15 watt L-Pads a whole lot easier. What kind of...
  9. Porkloin

KSC Capacitors - Can anyone decode the chicken scratch on the sides?

I've got these horrible, but loud speakers that my tin-eared daughter wants to blare her tunes on, so I'm spiffing them up a bit before they're put into service. The mids are a bit soft on one of them and the issue follows the crossover, not the driver. So I'm doing a recap. The speakers are...
  10. Porkloin

Digital Music and Pitch

Back in the days before CD's saved me from the constant picking at my OCD from LP's, the pitch of music from a turntable, tape deck and radio stations was one of the major bains of my existence. Of course, I had a turntable with a pitch control on it, but no one else seemed to. CDs came along...
  11. Porkloin

I Actually Came Across a Thrift Store Treasure.

I pretty much regard "thrift store finds" like I do steelhead salmon - rare almost to the point of being an urban legend. And then, with a rice cooker and a new pair of $5 Lee black-jeans under my arm, I spotted the Monitor Audio crown logo amidst the off-brand DVD players and CRT monitors. A...
  12. Porkloin

Got Carried Away on Some Speaker Stands - This Summer's Photo Slideshow.

We Lie to Ourselves The most broken oath in the audiophile world is, "I'm not going to take on another speaker project." This summer was no exception as another project materialized when the weather got good enough to pull the saw outside. I basically was not happy with the lower end of last...
  13. Porkloin

Seattle Area Ohm Walsh Model-F Enthusiasts Needed

Good day, Model-F'ers. I've become fascinated with the idea of owning a pair of model F's, but I've never actually heard a pair. It's going to take a bit of money and a road trip and all of that is a bit much for something I've never heard. Which is why I'm here ask if any Model-F owners here...
  14. Porkloin

Hole in the Magnepan Mylar

Good day Mag-ites. I'm hoping someone knows what a good fix is for a hole in the mylar of an MG-1. I took the sock off as the beginning of rebuilding the tweeters (wire thin and brittle beyond repair) and noticed a hole in the mid/bass section (below). Would I be wise to pull the panel off and...
  15. Porkloin

Seattle Area ESS AMT-3 Rock Monitors

At the risk of getting moderated over to Bartertown... I saw on the local Craigslist a pair of ESS AMT-3 Rock Monitors. The impulse in the brain tells me to rush out and buy them, but logic reminds me that I already have a pair and really should broaden my horizons. It breaks my heart thinking...
  16. Porkloin

DIY Gain Control in Power Amp

Could adding gain control to a power amp be as simple as putting a rheostat inline with the positive wire of each input? What would be the value of said rheostat?
  17. Porkloin

Why no DIY Omni-directionals?

Why was the omni-directional craze of the 70's so short lived, while the sole hold-out, Ohm, still garners respect? How come none of the DIY guys are plagiarizing Ohm designs? I would figure that the wider availability of full range drivers, especially those that achieve full range without...
  18. Porkloin

Eminence 1040 SF Still Alive?

Good Day AKers, I was looking into finding a pair of second-hand Eminence 1040-SFs, which are regarded as a good 10" replacement driver for older ESS speakers, when I can across an ad on eBay which had this picture: These look nothing like the pictures I've seen of the 1040 SFs in the past...
  19. Porkloin

Recessing Non-Round Drivers - Has Anyone Done It?

The beginnings of a small projects are rolling around in my misshapen head at the moment. It involves using drivers that are not round that I'd like to recess. It's easy enough to do with a router and a circle jig for round drivers, but short of having to learn 3-D modeling and employing the...
  20. Porkloin

ADS L-780/2 – This Year’s Out-of-Control Project – A Photo Journey

It all began innocently enough. A quick stop by the second-hand electronics store for some trinket unknown that I really didn’t need. The rule of thumb was to buy nothing that cost more than the cash in my pocket. The lonely Andrew Jackson somewhere beneath the cell phone and thumb drive wasn’t...
  21. Porkloin

ADS Metal Grills and Interfacing Cloth

Has anyone had practical experience with reattaching the interfacing cloth on the back side of ADS metal grills? I have an idea or two, but the whole wide world probably has a lot of souls that have been through this and I'd be just another fool with an Internet connection if I didn't seek the...
  22. Porkloin

Craigslisting it: A Primer

Gentlemen, From my freshly topped off pool of anecdotal experience, I feel compelled to educate my audiophile brothers on selling their speakers on Craigslist. Even through I don't buy that many speakers annually, I feel it safe to assume that my experience is a relatively accurate sampling of...
  23. Porkloin

Tweetless in Kent - ADS 206-0117

One of the tweeters in my ADS L-780/2's doesn't tweet. I've swapped it between loud speakers to verify the crossovers in both - the good tweeter works fine in both speakers. The bad tweeter doesn't work at all in either of them. An old pair of Braun tweeters on loan work fine. Both the good and...
  24. Porkloin

ADS L-780/2 2nd Order Bandpass Crossover Layout

RE: The Schematic below. It represents the physical layout of my ADS L-780 bandpass leg of the crossover. Normally when drawn out, it would be (L to R) L-2, C-2, C-3, L-3. With alternating current, does it really matter (electrically) what the order is as long as the correct values are in serial...
  25. Porkloin

How is "Forward" Sound Achieved?

By "forward", I mean the sensation of the front man of a given performing group being physically out in front of the band. The singer or instrumental soloist. The one carrying the melody. Is this a matter or equalization? Could the ranges common to the human voice be boosted, or everything...
Back
Top Bottom