Search results

1. mjw21a

Any die hard tube guys ever use solid state gear for part of the year

Or for me old tech has caught up.... Running an Absolute Audio Labs SIT-A15 SE power amp with runs Tokin VFET output devices. If I run a nice DHT tube preamp I honestly cannot hear the difference between it and the best tube gear except for better treble extension and deeper more authorative...
  2. mjw21a

Vinyl only spin list

Let's get it on Ah, baby, let's get it on Let's love, baby Let's get it on, sugar Let's get it on, woo hoo ;)
  3. mjw21a

So I asked a 17 year old about some audio brands.

Largely very low production numbers with these brands. Absolute Audio Labs gear, the pre is one of 5 globally, the power amp is the only one built to this spec though there are I believe less than 10 SIT-A15 been built all up. Creation Audio custom built my wardrobe sized bass reflex cabinets...
  4. mjw21a

Did you ever fall in love with a wire?

Many times..... solid core Duelund (copper twisted with silver) and Mundorf Angelique CAW wire is primarily what I used rewiring inside speakers and audio components. For RCA and speaker cables though FoiFlex all the way ;) Course capacitor upgrades can make an even larger improvement...
  5. mjw21a

I've heard of two of those brands though can't say I'm familiar with any of them ;)
  6. mjw21a

Really, I don't even expect many audio types to recognize the brands in my system let alone kids.... It's largely lesser known stuff that sounds amazing. Absolute Audio Labs, Jay's Audio, AfterDark, AudioGD, Accurate Studio Audio, Shunyata, FoilFlex, Aurealis Audio, Creation Audio etc. None of...
  7. mjw21a

Lii Audio Drivers

Yep, these were finished and installed in April :) Here's a shot with my mate Ian standing next to the left speaker after a listening session: These are every bit as finely detailed my previous Aurum Cantus G3Si aluminium ribbons and bass goes deeper than I've had in this room before...
  8. mjw21a

Suggest some R2R Ladder DACs

Well, the best R2R I've tried in my system to date is the AudioGD R7HE Mk2 though an honorable mention goes to the Accurate Audio Ultimate D1000..... More a difference in sonic preference though. I can easily see many running tube amp or preamps preferring the D1000.
  9. mjw21a

Recieved my darTZeel NHB-108 copy from China

Sorry about the slow response. I don't jump on AK more than once every couple of months. Yes, far superior in terms of sonics. That said you really need to open it up as there's a pair of OPAMPS which do some power regulation which are too close to some metal plates which in my friends case...
  10. mjw21a

dartzeel 108nhb diy

Step up transformer
  11. mjw21a

Can anyone tell me about B&W dm16's? Any thoughts?

Mine are 2061 and 2062 so quite a bit later. Doesn't seem to have the burnt/singled looking ceramic resistors many of these seem to have.
  12. mjw21a

Can anyone tell me about B&W dm16's? Any thoughts?

Just need to lift 1 leg of a resistor if memory serves..... A mate of mine did the crossover rebuild and I limited myself to restoring the cabinets and speaker cloth replacement. A big pair of caps were bypassed which served as a low pass for the woofers as well.... It seems B&W built in a...
  13. mjw21a

Had the darTZeel delivered to a mate….. He liked it so much he bought it off me. Not a bad outcome as I actually didn’t need another amp and my 103.3db sensitive full range speakers in massive floor standing cabinets really are not the right sort of speaker for a 250WPC amp. ;) He’s been blown...
  14. mjw21a

Lii Audio Drivers

Got a pair of Lii Song's new Platinum-10 "reference" drivers here. Will wait until Lii have designed and built a cabinet specifically for them before I listen to them though. Some patience required. Will be used in a massive cabinet for deep articulate single driver bass. Apparently...
  15. mjw21a

Full range vs two-way or three-way

I used to run Lii Audio FAST-10S wide banders with super tweeters and W15 woofer in a large open back cabinet and that was lovely though I really did have a great deal of trouble getting the super tweeters to blend well. In the end I found it largely came down to the quality of the cap as Aurum...
  16. mjw21a

Well, I’ve another darTZeel copy on order. Looks a beauty: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPM2NdG I never could get the sound of my original darTZeel out of my head. It was incredible paired with the Aurum Cantus F620 speakers. If the B&W DM16 are not fantastic with it another pair of Aurum Cantus...
  17. mjw21a

Douk Chi-Fi clone phono preamp - EAR 834P ?

No, go nuts installing nice caps in the 834P and it’s better.
  18. mjw21a

Pain in ears from trebel or bass?

My crossover rebuilt B&W DM16 were like that….. Changed the fuse in my power amp for a SR Orange and it seemed to tame the bass nicely. Big improvement. No more headaches.
  19. mjw21a

Picture from your listening spot right now!

That’s it right now….. Will change a bit in a few weeks once I receive my new Soundaware D300REF streamer and Absolute Audio Labs SIT-A15 power amp. More importantly sonics should improve still further.
  20. mjw21a

Dumping of AV Receivers - great opportunity - budget setup

Many perhaps, certainly not my TVC pre + DIY darTZeel NHB108 circuit power amp. I use a speaker switch box to share a pair of restored B&W DM16 speakers. Best of both worlds and yes, this is my second/budget system. All the best stuff is in my main system listed in my signature.
  21. mjw21a

question about vintage toshiba ss-51

A mate picked them up for me and restored in Melbourne. After all that though I don’t really have space for them.
  22. mjw21a

Thanks James. I don’t post much anymore as my systems have largely stopped evolving. For me the best amps I’ve run (and continue to run) are the darTZeel D5 (recapped power stage with a 50% increase in capacitance, Jupiter Copper Foil bypasses) and the Pass Mini Aleph (fully recapped with...
  23. mjw21a

Are more watts or tubes the answer?

As suggested above, try adding a sub. I've had fantastic results with the Queenway QS-10 with SVS Soundpath wireless kit. The QS-10 being a sealed unit with a second 10" passive radiator is quite fast and works very well indeed for music. Very competitive pricewise for those of us here in...
  24. mjw21a

How often do you listen to your "Main System"?

Daily.... My main system with the Aleph-M used every single day. Turned on at 6am and turned off at 11 each night Good thing it's only 10WPC class A . It's used for both passive and active listening. The second system with the darTZeel NHB108 circuit based amp is used couple of days per week...
  25. mjw21a

Vintage over Modern Gear

I've a system based around all new gear and that sounds spectacular.... Also a system with a large portion of vintage components ('91 DAC & '84 vintage speakers, new amp based on early 2000's (darTZeel) circuit). What do you know it also sounds fantastic though a very different sound signature...
Back
Top Bottom