Search results

1. N

Affordable DAC to replace good old Denon 20x8 converter?

I suggest you look into the SMSL D300. Its list price is $400, which is a little over your budget, but I got mine on sale for $340. In my systems it has the sonic characteristics you are looking for. It utilizes a Rohm BD34301ekv dac chip, which is not widely used, but can be found in much...
  2. N

DAC Recommendation with PRaT & Beautiful Colours?

I suggest you look into the SMSL VMV D2R or D300. They both have the qualities you are looking for. The VMV D2R sounds noticeably better than the D300, but it costs $600 more. I own both and am very happy with them. They both use the same Rohm dac chip that is found in more expensive Luxman...
  3. N

Melos CD-1

Unfortunately, Melos is no longer in business and its proprietor, George Bishoff passed away a few years ago. They were known more for their tube preamps. Based on the reputation of their preamps, I would think the cd player sounds good.
  4. N

USB Cable For DAC Any Differences?

The 15 ft Pangea I have is passive. I have read that 15 ft is the maximum length for a usb cable without any signal degradation. I haven't had any problems with my cable. YMMV
  5. N

USB Cable For DAC Any Differences?

I'm using a 5 meter (15 ft) Pangea Premier USB cable and I think it is a good value. It sounds much better than the generic printer cables I have tried and sounds more refined than the Monoprice Monolith cable I tried. It could sound a little bright on some dacs but you should be able to send...
  6. N

Review of Fosi Audio V3 Stereo Amplifier

I have been setting my preamp volume at 12 o'clock and the amp's volume between 10 and 2 o'clock.
  7. N

After reading some favorable comments about the amp with a 48v 5a power supply, I decided to try replacing the 32v supply with a 48v 5a supply. I have only listened for a few hours but it does seem to make a difference and not just in the ability to play louder. The amp sounds more detailed...
  8. N

After reading this, I had to try the V3. It does sound noticeably better than my Aiyima a07. I am using a Garage 1217 Project Sunrise as a preamp and am driving Paradigm Titan V4 speakers. The Fosi sounds more spacious and smoother than the Aiyima. I am quite satisfied with it so far.
  9. N

Thanks. I did watch it. It's mainly about the differences in build and parts quality and the difference in specifications. Not much information about how they actually sound.
  10. N

Has anyone compared the Fosi to the Aiyima A07 and can comment on any difference in sound quality?
  11. N

Entry level audiophile DAC

I currently own a Micromega Mydac and a Musical Fidelity V-Dac 90. The Mydac is the more musical of the two, when its usb input is used. I have been trying to replace one of these and have tried the Topping E-30, SMSL Su-9n, iFi Zen Dac Signature, Cambridge Dacmagic 200m, Geshelli Labs j2 and...
  12. N

Over the ear cushions for Grados?

Have you tried the "comfy" pads that Grado makes for their SR-60 headphones? They are the only pads that I like with my RS-2's.
  13. N

Geshelli J2/AiyimaT8

Thanks for your input. This is very encouraging and will make the wait seem worthwhile.
  14. N

What headphone amp are you using currently?

I use a Garage 1217 Project Sunrise tube/mosfet amp to drive Grado RS-2 Headphones. I also use it as a preamp in front of an Aiyima A07 amp. It is made in the USA and it sounds very good.
  15. N

Geshelli J2/AiyimaT8

Thanks for your responses. I ordered a J2 AKM about 10 days ago and I am hoping it's worth the wait. I am trying to upgrade from a Micromega Mydac. I have recently tried a Topping E30, SMSL Su9n, iFi Zen Signature One, Cambridge Dacmagic 200m and SMSL D300. The D300 was the best sounding of...
  16. N

Geshelli J2/AiyimaT8

You are definitely hearing the Geshelli J2. How do you like the sound of it?
  17. N

E J Korvette Window Shopping 1963

Thanks for posting the pictures. They brought back a lot of memories. I bought a lot of records from Korvettes in the early 70's and spent a fair amount of time browsing through their electronics department. I remember the XAM brand very well. Their speakers seemed like good values back then.
  18. N

WiimPro Arrived Today-- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

According to their website, Wiim has a Windows version of their app, but it is labeled as being a "beta" version. I don't know how well it works.
  19. N

Looking for cheap headphones for testing rebuilds

Koss Portapro or Nakamichi NK780M should meet your criteria.
  20. N

Need suggestions for a portable system for vacation/ on the go…

I use a Tribit Maxsound Plus for occasional background music and consider it to be a good value if you must have one of these things. I paid around $60 for it and you can run two as a stereo pair if you use bluetooth. I mainly use its line input with my Samsung tablet because the Samsung's...
  21. N

Having issue with my SMSL SU-9n

I have only had my SU-9n for about 3 weeks and have not had any problems. I have tried all of the inputs and many of the filter and sound settings. I tried the usb input for a few days but it has not been the input I have used most often. I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 usb to spdiff...
  22. N

TPA325x amps: the next step in Class D?

I purchased an Aiyima a07 about 2 weeks ago and like it so far. It replaced a Smsl SA-60, a tpa3116 based amp. It has slightly better clarity, much more power and sounds more fleshed out compared to the Smsl. It sounded a bit clinical right out of the box but slowly started sounding better...
  23. N

What USB cable are you using and what do you like about it?

I am currently using both a Pangea Premier XL and a Premier SE USB cables. You need two USB ports for the XL cable, which is why I still occasionally use the SE. Unfortunately, I don't think the SE is currently available. I think the Pangea's are good values, definitely better than the...
  24. N

Budget Dac USB Cables

I agree. I especially like their Premier SE and Premier XL versions.
  25. N

Dragonfly Black version 1.5, Schiit MODI 3, Other?

I have owned a Dragonfly Black for almost a month and it was not a keeper. I thought the Dragonfly sounded a little more dynamic but not really much better than the headphone jack of my iPhone. I think the Sabaj Da2, which sells for around $70 sounds better. The only drawback to the Sabaj...
Back
Top Bottom