Search results

1. arts

Soldering Iron Sizes

On another forum a member was looking to buy a new soldering station, and when I recommended the Metcal PS-900, he commented on the bulky size of the handpiece compared to that of the JBC. So, I dragged together all of the handpieces from my various soldering stations in order to do a photo...
  2. arts

FS7M0880 for Metcal PS-900

Really didn't know where to put this, so I'll try here; This is a Fairchild Power Switch, a TO-3P-5L device used in the switching power supply of the Metcal/OKI PS-900 soldering stations. Now a discontinued part #. Anybody know if there is a successor part or perhaps what Metcal is now using as...
  3. arts

Fuse Lamps/Bulbs

Just curious, has anybody tried these? They seem to use the LED thread style of construction as opposed to individual LED's...
  4. arts

Mac's Service Shop

For those of us old enough to remember this series, it ran through several decades and a few different magazines. It appeared in Radio & Television News, Electronics World and Popular Electronics, and likely others that I have forgotten. I always enjoyed this series, and the skilled writing and...
  5. arts

2225 "gift", YIKES!

I was recently gifted this receiver. There is no rust or corrosion, and it is in beautiful condition. With the exception of being the filthiest piece of equipment I have ever seen....and I've been doing this stuff since the dinosaurs. Where the heck do I start?
  6. arts

RIP Ronnie Hawkins

We've lost another one; https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/ronnie-hawkins-obituary-1.6470162
  7. arts

Ferrofluid Source?

I have a bunch of tweeters that need an oil change, but I'm having trouble locating a reasonably priced source of ferrofluid, and haven't even been able to find any in Canada. Parts Express wants close to 60 buck (USD!) for shipping.
  8. arts

Panavise Question?

Hello all, I need some advice on a possible purchase. I use an ancient Technical Devices Company PCB holder for doing freehand board work, but it's always been awkward for use with smaller boards, especially getting them positioned into the clamping arms, which are quite long and wobbly. Once...
  9. arts

Help Identifying an Oddball

Quite some time ago there was a rather well regarded speaker with a single side-firing twelve inch woofer. The were meant to be placed directly along the walls, and had a VERY strange shape; just wide enough to contain the mids and tweeters, which were angled inwards to aim at the listener, and...
  10. arts

Matsushita-Panasonic MR Series Electrolytic Capacitor

Hello all, Does anyone have a datasheet or knowledge of the characteristics of this part? This is the radial-leaded type with the bright orange sleeve. I have exhausted my Google searches and come up with nothing. I am repairing a preamp where a couple of these have gone bad, and noticed that...
  11. arts

Solder Fume Extractor Build

I have read in several forums that for some individuals, the ability to tolerate solder smoke declines as age advances. I had never really thought much about it, but it does seem that lately my own endurance for the smoke and smog has very much diminished; a sore throat and headaches were...
  12. arts

Jobs I Dread..

No matter how many of these I have replaced over the years, I still get a case of the nerves when a "just install a new faceplate" job arrives. I have horrible visions of every possible mishap that can occur. Then I dream up a few more.
  13. arts

Tube Suppliers

While looking at the websites of several suppliers, I see that most offer some options, with accompanying "upcharges" (I really hate that term) for their small-signal tubes. Things like: Matched Sections (Balancing...) Low Noise, Low Microphonics, High Gain etc. I guess what I am wondering...
  14. arts

Thermal Wire Strippers

Need some thoughts and input on these, either used (even out of production models) or brand new. As I have several large wiring projects coming up,and most of my manual strippers are getting pretty dull and worn out, as are my hands,my question is whether a thermal stripper may be the best route...
  15. arts

Nice "Unscheduled" Landing

This morning,at around 10 AM, on the 40 West heading towards Montreal. You can see some minor smoke,but he nails it perfectly.He even pulls over towards the breakdown lane And,as usual for Quebec drivers,no one will cut the poor bugger a break and let him in...
  16. arts

Audio Research SP16

Need some help with this one. I have sent out a couple of pm's,but figured I'd throw in a post as well. I am adding a phono stage to an SP16L. Easily done,essentially just add the missing components to the blank board,and now you have an SP16. Except,there is no value given for R12. It is...
  17. arts

Better Balance Control?

I have always used the generic linear two-gang pot as a replacement for defective balance controls.And that was what was used initially by all of the manufacturers I am familiar with.But,I just had a bit of a brain-fart. I do a fair amount of work on musical instruments,and the use of the...
  18. arts

D-Day DC-3 Flies Again!

For many years,I watched (usually with a tear in my eye) this storied old bird languish on an apron over at St Hubert Airport. Stripped of her engines,exposed to the elements,parts stolen,vandalized occasionally.Not a fitting end for a machine that played a role in winning the freedom and...
  19. arts

Sencore YF33 Ringer Manual

Anybody got one? Seems like Sencore is the hardest to find manuals for! Thanks, Art
  20. arts

12 Days of Christmas-Canadian Edition

From two of our most famous hosers:)
  21. arts

Ram 3.0L Ecodiesel?

Any thoughts or experiences with this engine? Looking for a new truck,but the online horror stories re this power plant,at least from it's early years, are kinda scary. There are a large number of these trucks available at ''liquidation pricing'' from many dealerships (I'm buying new) but I'm a...
  22. arts

Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?

I have found about all there is to be found about these on the intergooglewebnet,and it doesn't amount to much. Anybody know much about them or ever used them? I am considering trying the series MKII 48 step model for a project. Partsconnexion carries them,but they can't seem to be bothered to...
  23. arts

Interesting Reading...

I had forgotten about this work until I saw it mentioned recently,and thought some here may appreciate it. Very well written,well thought out,and for anyone working in electronics,especially of the vacuum tube variety,still relevant today,60 + years later.Also,perhaps well suited to individuals...
  24. arts

Lucas Smoke Kit

While I have posted photos of this kit occasionally in threads where people have mentioned British vehicles,I have decided to link the original ebay post (courtesy of the original creator and the BC Triumph Registry) here just for farts and giggles. The Q&A section is hilarious! Hope you enjoy...
  25. arts

Garry Lowe RIP

Garry Lowe,bassist with Big Sugar,has died after battling cancer.He was 65. RIP Mr Lowe.
Back
Top Bottom