Search results

1. Aspen

R-900 going into protection

Started yesterday with going into protection after playing for a couple of hours. I let it cool off and then started it back up for an hour with no issue. Still sounds fine on both channels. In the past few years I have replaced both STK power amp ICs and a few other bits. Maybe the voltage...
  2. Aspen

R-900 back from repair

Left stk replaced with a NOS unit along with a few minor parts. The tech even fixed the broken speaker spring clips without asking. Sounds wonderful again. sacd of Wish You Were Here and some Nora Jones, Lorde, Kraftwerks over Tidal all good. No crackles and FM is at full bars with stereo...
  3. Aspen

So I recapped my Tannoys

Mrs. Aspen bought some inexpensive Tannoys about 25 years ago. We auditioned them together at the time and decided they were the best we could do for the money and we still have them. They are Comet or C-8 made in Canada with a regular 2-way set up, not the more expensive dual concentrics...
  4. Aspen

Recapping success for old sub!

Hey my first time and it feels sweet.:banana::banana: I picked up a 20 year old Axiom AX500A subwoofer for $70. I thought it was going to be a passive sub, but it turns out it was the powered version, Bonus I thought. If the amp works then great, if not I will just by-pass and run off my...
  5. Aspen

Just had my Hi-Res initiation

Backstory: I didn't like the performance of my AVR in my living room set up so I bought a new Yamaha RX-A730 that supports DSD bitsteam for SACD 5.1. Cool. About the same time I wanted to be able to play Blu Rays on my old projection HDTV that only supports 1080i through components. So I...
  6. Aspen

FM vs music on satellite - sound quality difference?

Ok, so here is the question. Should I be able to tell the difference between FM radio and the same signal received over my satellite dish for the same station? Scenario, I have been fooling around with FM and antennas lately to get CBC Radio 2 with a strong clear signal. I have a good...
  7. Aspen

CR-2040 - did one of you guys get it?

A broken CR-2040 just went up for sale here in London for a fair price. I emailed the seller within 2 hours, but I guess I was not fast enough. Did one of you guys get it? This extends my vintage Yamaha shopping streak to 0-3. Lost out on a T-2, T-85 and now a CR-2040. Hopefully the gods...
  8. Aspen

Windy noise in R-900

It seems my recently repaired R-900 (new right STK, few burnt resistors) has a new issue. The right channel has a noise that sounds like wind blowing. It's only on the right side and volume has no effect. At zero volume it is about 5 or 6db of noise vs the left which is dead quiet. It can be...
  9. Aspen

Using two 5.1 AVRs - Will it work?

Here's the situation: AVR 1: I have an old (1998) Yamaha RX-992. No HDMI, only converts Dolby digital, so no DTS or more modern lossess formats. It does have 5 separate amps at 80watts/130watts headroom using no IC chips. It sounds great. Has a stereo tone control by-pass and strong power...
  10. Aspen

A few issues with R-900

Okay so now I have been listening to my resurrected R-900 for a few days and have found a few things that could use some improvement. I am looking for a few suggestions... Issue 1) I can hear the radio a very low volume when the input is on Aux, Tape 1 or Tape2. It is not very loud but is...
  11. Aspen

Enjoying me fixed R-900

So my first post on AK. I must say this is an excellent forum! My story on how I got here. Three weeks ago I decided to get rid of my experiment with a cheap Pioneer AV receiver for my living room. Had it about 3 years but never really liked it as it was hollow and weak. So I decided to get...
Back
Top Bottom