Search results

1. Herr Eickhorn

Sirius XM vs the "other guys"

I just got SiriusXM Internet Radio going in my main rig. Its flowing straight from my modem into my Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver (had to update firmware) with a Cat 6e Ethernet cable. And it sounds damn good! Make sure to set the bandwidth to MAXIMUM on the SXM web site. Not only is it very...
  2. Herr Eickhorn

Amplifier recommendation for Yamaha NS-1000

I run a very similar set up with my NS-1000's except I use a Yamaha RX-A1000 amp. I always have a nagging feeling that they could sound MUCH better with a higher quality dedicated amp. But my system has to compromise and do both home theater as well as 2 channel stereo.
  3. Herr Eickhorn

Yamaha NS-1000 Ebony in the house!

I've got a pair of ebony NS-1000's. I just love them but have only used them with solid state. So I'm very interested in your Low wpc tube tests. I was always wanting to try tubes with mine, but with drivers unobtainium I was paranoid about damaging them.
  4. Herr Eickhorn

EMP ATTACK!!! What Will We Do?

Ever wonder why there is such a surplus of Russian vacuum tubes? That's because, up until the late 1990's, the Russians kept key components of their military equipment running on tubes, which are immune from EMP. So if we hit them first with an EMP strike, they could still launch a retaliatory...
  5. Herr Eickhorn

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

I didn't see this before, and now I'm really upset. How is an obviously psychopathic cat pushing an innocent unsuspecting cat down the stairs funny? And what does it say about the people who think this is funny? If your grandmother got pushed down the stairs by someone would that be funny? AK...
  6. Herr Eickhorn

OH F! Now you done it.
  7. Herr Eickhorn

AK is the BEST! No shortage of experts on any subject!!!
  8. Herr Eickhorn

Which Music Format Do You Listen To The Most

Radio internet streaming, but sadly, the sound quality is nothing like FM, back when FM was good.
  9. Herr Eickhorn

What is the point of SACD?

A few years ago I bought a nice SACD player (Sony SCD-XA5400ES0) reputed to be one of the best. Certain I would be transported to audio nirvana, I bought a whole batch of SACD's. A few were exceptional, most were average and some were downright crappy. I was a little disappointed. I have found...
  10. Herr Eickhorn

How to make digital sound like analog vinyl?

Its not the chip: "In the July 18, 2008 Stereophile there’s a review by Art Dudley of the Sony PlayStation 1 CD Player where in it’s praised as sounding better in many ways than the $3,450 MSRP Sony SCD-777ES SACD and CD player. John Atkinson’s tests that accompanied the review reveal that its...
  11. Herr Eickhorn

My Stereo System 1976

Far out! Have a nice day.
  12. Herr Eickhorn

For All Pono Player Owners and Evangelists

Any news on how the Pono is doing? Looks like they have a lot of Kiss in Hi Res! https://www.ponomusic.com/
  13. Herr Eickhorn

New Chromecast audio stick to be announced Tuesday

Tidal is a new one on me. The CCA will handle 320kbps and higher?
  14. Herr Eickhorn

New Chromecast audio stick to be announced Tuesday

I'm going to try one of these on my main Hi Fi rig. I need a little advice from the experts since I am not current on high quality "radio" streaming services. I use to use MOG @ 320 KBPS but then they went out of business. Now I use Pandora One which streams at 192 KBPS. Any higher KBPS...
  15. Herr Eickhorn

Which Decade had the best SOUND QUALITY?

That's in line with what I think. My opinion is that there is little difference in Sound Quality between the decades. That the best of the 1950's would sound as good as the best of today. However, today's equipment is much more versatile and convenient. In that regard its the best.
  16. Herr Eickhorn

Looks like the 70's is gaining on the Present, so let me be the first to say, "Disco Sucks!"
  17. Herr Eickhorn

How about this?
  18. Herr Eickhorn

Schiit Yggdrasil Phase invert button?

It seems to be a dirty little CD secret. Now, on every fresh CD, I'll play a little and listen. Then I back it up, invert it and listen again. Over 75% of the time I select inverted. I leave it inverted for streaming background music, like Pandora.
  19. Herr Eickhorn

Strange no one likes the 1950's so far. I have heard that a good 1950's mono set up is hard to beat. And when someone pays $10,000 to $20,000 for a 1950's tannoy driver on eBay, I'm assuming they are using it for something other than a paper weight. But I don't know, I have much to learn.
  20. Herr Eickhorn

If you pick a decade for the best sound quality, you might say what you would put into your demo room. It would be a way for everyone to learn what was/is considered the finest gear of that decade.
  21. Herr Eickhorn

My opinion is that there is little difference in Sound Quality between the decades. That the best of the 1950's would sound as good as the best of today. However, today's equipment is much more versatile and convenient. There is no debating that. But this poll is only interested in Sound Quality!
  22. Herr Eickhorn

the sorry state of hifi today

I'll do 10 to 12 dumpster dives looking for equipment I need. If I can't find it, I'll buy it. But begrudgingly so.
  23. Herr Eickhorn

Imagine SEVEN Hi Fi demonstration rooms - one for each decade. There will be a 1950’s room, 1960’s room, 1970’s room, 1980’s room, 1990’s room, 2000's room, and a 2010 to Present room. You can stock it with the finest new equipment/sources that are commonly available for purchase to audiophiles...
  24. Herr Eickhorn

Not really: 1965 Priorities: 1)Sex 2)Music 3)Money 2015 Prioroties: 1)Sex 2)Money 3)Music
  25. Herr Eickhorn

Several people have made the point that we are in the Golden age of Hi Fi, which is absolutely true. You can have great vintage gear/sources or great new gear/sources. Or you can have an amalgam of the two, which is probably what many people do. For example, I have a mix of gear that spans...
Back
Top Bottom