Search results

1. Johnny_Law

4301B Stinky-Rat-Pee-Damage Veneer Options?

Getting there.
  2. Johnny_Law

Yamaha newbie A-700 resto thread

For 2SA1333/2SC3370 I used 2SA1494/2SC3858 from bdent, and in the process also ordered many off eBay from "reputable" sellers but 100% of the eBay ones ended up being fake (you can tell if you weigh them). I'm not sure where to find them now that bdent went under. I think some AK members...
  3. Johnny_Law

Guide to Clean Your Scratchy KEF KUBE

To be honest I think those were the original caps. I may have replaced them, but I didn't write it down in my notes if I did. If I did, I would have used 1000uF / 50V, whatever I had on hand which may have been Nichicon UKLs which are low leakage and blue in color.
  4. Johnny_Law

Tidal is cutting their price for HD streaming

Been using and loving the highest Tidal subscription for years - the pricing cut is a welcome change but TBH I'd still pay the $20/month I like it so much.
  5. Johnny_Law

Recommendations for a table with auto stop/lift under ~$2,500

I like to recommend the Yamaha PF-800/1000 when people ask about good auto stop & lift tables. Worth a look.
  6. Johnny_Law

Custom Made Speakers

Looks cool! Curious if the lowest cone is active or passive, and what if any baffling there is inside (suspecting some on account of the weight) - looking forward to your dissection if you decide to do so!
  7. Johnny_Law

Boston Acoustics A-120 - The bastard child of the A-Series?

Yes and yes - make sure to get the specific filleted stuff, Rick will know what you need. Have fun with it and enjoy!
  8. Johnny_Law

C34V recap

I had a similar symptom in my C32 that was the result of a weak ribbon connection. Might be worth checking that all ribbons are plugged in right and making strong contact. Who knows could be a quick, easy, and cheap fix?
  9. Johnny_Law

Polk Monitor 4.6 Series 2

Sorry to hear that they are underwhelming. No, don't expect them to "open up". Can you put your ear close to each tweeter to make sure they are working? If yes or no let's go from there.
  10. Johnny_Law

L-Series / 43XX-Series Baffle: Smooth Edge Banding?

Yep, this answers the question of how to get the paint to look identical across the whole front (edges & baffle), and now we know how to get the edges to sit flush with the baffle as they originally were.
  11. Johnny_Law

Scent removed (you can see everything I tried sitting behind the cabinet haha), edge gap glued and clamped. Filled, sanded and ready for the new veneer.
  12. Johnny_Law

Figured it out. JBL used drywall tape for the edge banding around the front baffle. Left is a new stuff from home Depot, right are the strips that came off intact from the 4301b. I can't show this in a picture, but the composition / thickness / feel is identical.
  13. Johnny_Law

Well here's what it looks like after being shaved off. It's like a thick construction paper. It looks to have been glued on, then painted at the same time as the baffle. When it comes off clean, you can see an obvious thick layer of glue underneath. It mostly came off in slices, but a couple...
  14. Johnny_Law

Soldering Smoke Observation

When I saw your title I laughed and thought about it always seems to go in my face no matter what. And that's exactly what the thread is about! Ha!
  15. Johnny_Law

Which “inexpensive” speakers were you blown away by?

Towards the bottom end of "inexpensive" - I have no idea what kind of witchcraft Infinity put into these tiny little SL10s but they sound absolutely amazing for a cheap little home theater-geared bookshelf speaker. Vocals / Sax / Piano / Guitar etc ... amazed that this sound comes out of those...
  16. Johnny_Law

My new L20T’s with glued on grills

The grille peg receptors should come out if you carefully pry without damaging the cabinet... Maybe that'll have the best chance of saving the pegs that are still good? Congrats anyway great speaker!
  17. Johnny_Law

Any other "retro" gamers?

*raises hand*
  18. Johnny_Law

Here's a pic I snapped before sanding - the edges are flush (and the paint darker than those - perhaps those were refinished and the edge banding was removed before they were painted?) The birch edge banding sounds promising! Although I wish I knew exactly what they used at the factory...
  19. Johnny_Law

Magnapan MG-1 underperforming

Both the "woofer" and the "tweeter" sections are made of single continuous wires. So, if there's a single break anywhere in either "woofer" or "tweeter" wire, that respective "woofer" or "tweeter" will be completely dead. From my experience with MGIs / MGIIs, you are describing a broken...
  20. Johnny_Law

Semi-Auto TT suggestion please!?

I really like my Yamaha PF-800 which operates how you describe.
  21. Johnny_Law

I wish I had the tools to make cabinets from scratch, but I don't! After another round of urine remover, the piss odor has been reduced and replaced by the smell of the urine remover. Will try a few more cycles and hope the odor continues to subside, and that the gap closes a little before I...
  22. Johnny_Law

Thanks - my question is, if it is edge banding that JBL used, what kind of edge banding is it specifically? A wood veneer edge banding will have wood grain (naturally), and the edges of the JBL baffles are distinctly flat. So maybe it's a flat edge banding of some kind? Almost like a...
  23. Johnny_Law

Still working on these. I decided to strip the veneer so I could chase down and remove all the water-damaged wood which was swelling under the veneer. Stripping this veneer was a royal PITA. It came off in teeny tiny chunks. I had to use a razor blade. A pic after the first pass with the...
  24. Johnny_Law

Working on a pair of water-damaged 4301Bs. I've had to remove a bunch of rotted MDF around the bottom edges, and the front baffle didn't escape from the damage. After sanding, I can tell that JBL used some kind of flat, thin edge banding around the perimeter of the front baffle. Parts of this...
  25. Johnny_Law

Heresy’s but more ethereal?

Have you ever heard big JBLs with compression drivers? The way you describe what you want makes me think of my old L200Bs.
Back
Top Bottom