Search results

1. T

Pioneer A-656

Value? Saw one but it was missing the voltage switch on the back, so its not powering on b/c the connection is not being made. If it was in fixed, of course. Broken...not so much.
  2. T

Just bought a new PC, now what do I need?

Your mic in SHOULD be adjustable in the soundcard controls to allow stereo input. It may take some time at support.microsoft.com to figure it out since its prob Win10 and since I am only familiar up to Win7, I can't tell you where to go find it in the audio settings. I started my analog ->...
  3. T

Sansui SP-2500 Speakers worth it?

They aren't 10/10. Those grilles have seen some mild abuse. They will need a bit of sanding and some restaining to be perfect. And maybe I haven't heard enough of the world's best speakers, but personally I really like the sound from these.
  4. T

Look at this bonehead

I think that anyone who would actually be interested in these just blew their last $400 at 7-11 on the Lotto. If he doubled the highs and now needs to amp the top end to hear them, WTF just happened?
  5. T

Well, this is ineresting...

Hey Mark Zuckerburg, I think I found a way for Kanye to continue bringing his beautiful creativities to grace us, the uncreative paying losers called the public. Buy him this and save yourself $999,993,000.
  6. T

console ID

Its too "furniture-heavy" looking to be early enough to have tubes, I think. And I see 2 satellite speakers (one in far bottom left, looks like a wooden box fan) Tapestry over the speakers is late 60s to early 70s, to match the shag carpet.
  7. T

Well, this is ineresting...

Nothing like getting down on your hands and knees to turn on the power. Or, in the middle of a party when the music is full blast, placing your ears 2" from all those speakers to adjust the volume. Talk about taking a whole bunch of high-end equipment and Homer Simpsoning it all to death. Price...
  8. T

Newbie - Quest for an end-to-end Craigslist/thrift store setup

I just did a search in "for sale" for JBL and saw this: https://madison.craigslist.org/ele/5410778534.html Obviously it is your whole budget, but that Yammie is one of the nicer 5.1 w/phono.
  9. T

I would probably break that down as $10 for the player, $30 for the receiver and $30 for the speakers. Fair price I suppose if everything is still in good working order. None of these pieces are more than mid-grade, so you get what you pay for. As long as they are all in GOOD working order it...
  10. T

Man, what I can tell you is that the quality of used product goes in waves. For several months last summer/fall, nice CD changers, near-high-end receivers and other goodies were showing up at thrift stores around here. Then before Christmas it all dried up and all that is coming in is bargain...
  11. T

Lone Klipsch KG 2.5

Found this stag at a thrift store marked with an $X so I grabbed it. Currently its doing duty as a center channel. Wondering what I could expect to pay IF I can find the pepper to this salt.
  12. T

Compressed file format question

So here is a hypothetical: If I have an mp3 file that I would like to edit, when I convert it back to mp3, would it be better to save it with the same bit rate, higher bit rate, or is so much lost from the original compression that I might as well go to the next lower bit rate?
  13. T

Vintage Console Speaker Help

The advantages of placing bookshelf speakers in the cabinet are that you can adjust the toe in or out to improve the sound, and that you don't have to do any calculations, construction or experience the disappointment when your newly built speakers don't sound as great as you hoped.
  14. T

Vintage Console Speaker Help

I modernized a Magnavox console, well, I am mostly finished with it anyway. I took everything out of it and stuffed in a midrange Yamaha 5.1 home theater, a PC and sealed speakers in custom boxes. I had intended to add a Technics turntable, but I think we are going to put gaming consoles in...
  15. T

Phono pre probs

I picked up a Kenwood KR-850 that I was liking because it sounds a bit better than the 5.1 Yammies I have connected to the TVs. I was using it to transfer vinyl to wav, but recently one channel began to quiet and periodically and usually near the beginning of a record side, I get...
  16. T

Getting a right-biased signal

OK, so I admit to being young enough to catch the very tail of the original vinyl era. Anti-skating: can someone explain how it works and how to adjust or correct it mechanically instead of depending on correcting in software?
  17. T

Getting a right-biased signal

So I finally have my Technics SL-QD33 and DAC up for recording my vinyl for car use, etc, and I am getting a stronger right signal than left. Or maybe the left is decreasing in volume. Not sure. Anyway, is there a logical reason and something I can do to correct it? Its a P-mount and I have a...
  18. T

General sensitivity question

The aversion: There is a short somewhere and if I don't drive the thing every 2 days, I have to pull the battery to recharge it. Then I would lose any settings, like fader. Also, its an Alpine deck with few buttons, so the fader control is buried deep inside the menu and difficult to get to. In...
  19. T

General sensitivity question

I realize there are car audio forums out there, but becoming a member of yet another forum does not appeal to me. So I have a van, and the front speakers are on the door, aimed at the calves, while the rears are below shoulder level, pointed roughly at the middle passengers' heads. The back...
  20. T

Behringer UCA222 as an ADC

An update: The PC update was successful. Getting good quality now out of the Behringer and the Pickering cart. Except for the snaps and pops from vinyl that has sat unloved for over 2 decades, I can't find anything to prove analog is inferior to digital.
  21. T

Got to the PC w/Audacity installed. The DAC was being read as mono 114K in the settings. Changed it to stereo 114K. My setup for recording is a nomad. I dismantled it Sat. Will see if that corrected it next time I can drag it all out. Thanks all.
  22. T

"Ads" with "unnecessary" ""quotation marks""

Perhaps you should "make" an "offer" and see "what comes".
  23. T

Gifted myself one of these when the price dropped earlier this month. In the process of trying to rip vinyl, I am getting one channel input being converted to dual-channel mono. Using Audacity b/c I found it years ago and it works fine if not great. Win7, either Home Premium or Pro, I can't...
  24. T

?? about a pair of RTRs

OK, new question: Any clue what kind of sensitivity? Could they be powered by flea power. I have a Maggie console tube amp to build but no speakers to run them with.
  25. T

?? about a pair of RTRs

RTR EXP 9V The cabs are rough, but the components look OK. One tweet is missing the foam diffuser, and one has a bit of moisture staining below one of the blue woofers. Are these in demand? They are beyond resto, so would there be a market for ones that have been visually modernized, with...
Back
Top Bottom