Search results

1. JimJ[VT]

What's a good audio forum that isn't too snobby?

I partially agree. I've just never had the urge to set foot in a thrift store for anything, much less audio equipment, so the whole "score" mentality just kind of missed me. If something isn't getting use, I sell it and let someone else get use out of it. Ultimately, it's just stuff...
  2. JimJ[VT]

Favorite size prime on a crop body?

I have a Canon 60D, currently using the non-USM 35mm f/2 prime. I took it out last weekend for some time around a river, and I can't help but thinking that the perspective is just too long, even though it's supposedly only equivalent to a 56mm on a full-frame. Anyone else have similar feelings...
  3. JimJ[VT]

Technics SL-1200G announced.

Makes sense. The KAB mods were pretty popular...
  4. JimJ[VT]

Carolina Eight & Oh!

An Arizona/NE Super Bowl...
  5. JimJ[VT]

2016 College Basketball Thread

LET'S GO HOKIES
  6. JimJ[VT]

Vintage film cameras

To this day, my Contax RTSII was the most ergonomic camera I've ever used. If they made a full-frame DSLR with that kind of build quality that didn't cost $20K, I'd be set for life. Only sold it because I lost my access to a darkroom, and developing/printing was half the fun of 35mm. I'm just...
  7. JimJ[VT]

Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 Ω question

Given the power to drive them, I'd rather have the higher-impedance version. 770s do come with the reputation as pretty heavy on the bass, though.
  8. JimJ[VT]

Closed Headphone Suggestions

ATs - even the higher-end ones - have always struck me as having a very unique presentation to them. You'll either love them, or never get used to it. I fell into the latter camp.
  9. JimJ[VT]

Closed Headphone Suggestions

I almost ended up with the 150s, but the reviews I read hinted that they were a little tilted towards a heavier bass response at the cost of the midrange. Either those or the 250s definitely don't win any aesthetics contests, though :banana:
  10. JimJ[VT]

Modi 2 Uber

Yes. I had a Modi original (no optical), and getting an external DAC is a worthwhile improvement.
  11. JimJ[VT]

An AK Resolution... no more my stuff is better than yours...

Ten years ago? There were more strife in certain places than ever. AudioAsylum used to get vicious back then - and now it's deserted.
  12. JimJ[VT]

r/audiophile r/headphones r/diyaudio
  13. JimJ[VT]

TBH, Reddit replaced a lot of what this site used to be about for me.
  14. JimJ[VT]

amplifier connected to computer

By the time you reach the design lifespan of the switches, you'll probably need the electrolytics replaced from age, whether they've been used heavily or not. Solid-state electronics don't exactly have a ticking clock attached to them. But whatever makes you feel comfortable...
  15. JimJ[VT]

One of the reasons why I took a break from AK for a while.
  16. JimJ[VT]

amplifier connected to computer

If you have to turn on an amplifier to listen anyway, what exactly is this saving?
  17. JimJ[VT]

Subwoofer time! Help!

Not the "15's can't sound as snappy or dynamic as smaller subs" argument again...
  18. JimJ[VT]

NAS for Music and Video ?

What were you thinking? :whip::banana:
  19. JimJ[VT]

Neutral-sounding DACs...$1500ish

So, with the new year...time to blow up my setup and start afresh. I'm looking for DACs around the $1500 mark, have to have the following: - 192KHz capability, nothing higher needed - USB & analog inputs - Neutral sound signature - No headphone amp required Part of me is thinking something...
  20. JimJ[VT]

What is your biggest collection of one artist?

Probably Dylan. All the studio albums through Desire, and most of the official boots that have come out...
  21. JimJ[VT]

Was 8 Track the 2 stroke of audio??

2 stroke is far, far more useful.
  22. JimJ[VT]

Questions about external dacs

Getting the unit away from all the hash and interference of an internal card is worth the $100 by itself, IMO.
  23. JimJ[VT]

NAS for Music and Video ?

A single drive sort of defeats the purpose - ideally, you want at least two, so you can mirror them for redundancy in case a single drive fails. That price sounds like a "diskless" NAS - they're often sold without hard drives.
  24. JimJ[VT]

Rolling Stone, get it?!!

1kg Virgin Concrete...
  25. JimJ[VT]

Are tuners even relevant anymore?

FM radio is doing pretty well around here. The 4 college stations are all good for different things, and there is a 100W low power station that just opened up across from my favorite coffee shop. But tuners? Nah. I'll listen in on an SDR sometimes, but 90% of my listening is done through streaming.
Back
Top Bottom