Search results

1. Pythonman

Is Playing a Scratched Record Ok?

But still, no scratches!!
  2. Pythonman

Can any turntable made in the past 30 years match the sound quality and durability of a table before the 1990s?

Why didn’t I mention Sony, Marantz, HH Scott, AR, Revolver, Lenco, Dual either? What was I thinking? I figured where I wrote “etc” most readers would know.
  3. Pythonman

New Stone under the microscope

1983 Koetsu Black with original stylus. Sings like a bird still.
  4. Pythonman

Can any turntable made in the past 30 years match the sound quality and durability of a table before the 1990s?

Well, 30 plus years ago you had VPI, Goldmind, Versa Dynamics, Kenwood/Trio etc. for great tables. There was Koetsu, Kiseki, Talisman, Grado, Shure, Dynavector, Fidelity Research. The list goes on but, I doubt the OP ever heard of any of those companies.
  5. Pythonman

Hana Umami Red vs Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua

From Van Den Hul webpage.
  6. Pythonman

Denon DL-301MK2 - Time to Replace or Retip?

New Koetsu stylus for reference. Line contact family.
  7. Pythonman

Do these appear worn out? This is on a stock circa 1983 Koetsu Black I’ve been running for the last two years which sounds perfect. 1000 hours? I’ve heard of Koetsu and Lyra carts sounding killer north of 2000 if set up properly and not subject to trashed records.
  8. Pythonman

No an MC cartridge shouldn’t wear out the stylus in 9 months. I had a Denon DL160 I bought new in 2007 that I put 10yrs on then I gave it to a friend who still uses it. No sign of wear.
  9. Pythonman

Need help - Thorens TD-320 MK3

Could be it’s time for a new belt. The metal guide piece is the clutch mechanism Thorens tables used to have. I just helped a guy get a TD160 up and running and the clutch would come up on starting the table and put the belt into playing position and upon switching it off the clutch would come...
  10. Pythonman

Sony PS-7x cartridge ideas

It was well behaved and quiet tracing. The sound was quite nice with a deep and wide soundstage. Rock and jazz sounded excellent and orchestral classical sounded quite good. Denon no longer makes that cartridge but the DL110 would be a very similar alternative. A good friend has one on his...
  11. Pythonman

Sony PS-7x cartridge ideas

My PS-x6 loved Shure M91EDs and a Denon DL160.
  12. Pythonman

Luke warm results from the 1984 Rega Planar 2 turntable

My 1994 Planar 2 loved Denon DL160 cartridges. I set them up successfully using a MFSL GeoDisc. Another major improvement was setting the table on a 3/4” chopping block which sat on a partially inflated 20” bicycle inner tube. And I do mean major improvement. Cut groove noises and tracing...
  13. Pythonman

Going for a new cartridge.....which one shall it be?

I kinda dig my Koetsu Black. Much better than my Hana SH.
  14. Pythonman

What is it that you're listening for ... ???

I listen for instrumental and vocal textures now that my system produces them so well. I’m also frequently amazed at the kind of previously unheard details that appear to have so much care taken in capturing them, supporting vocals and instruments, yet I clearly never noticed them before...
  15. Pythonman

Peter Ledermann - Covid19 - Hopes go with him to recover

Godspeed Mr Ledermann!
  16. Pythonman

Should I keep a backup table? Do you guys have two of the same table?

I’m running two VPIs in the same room. At first I thought my latest, an HW19Jr would be a backup to my Prime. But, the Jr with a Denon Dl103 is such an outstanding performer in its own right I just play my records on either on an equal basis. Saves wear and tear on the Koetsu on my Prime...
  17. Pythonman

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

18. Pythonman

DL-103 re-tipping advice

19. Pythonman

DL-103 re-tipping advice

Can’t overstate the fact that Denons conical stylus on the DL103 is very well made. Indeed it is. Still benefits greatly from the most careful setup possible and for me it tracks better and plays quieter in the groove than my Hana SH. Sounds far better too!
  20. Pythonman

DL-103 re-tipping advice

Heard nothing but good about Steve from VAS. If he can do an elliptical on aluminum for $150, that’s a seriously viable option.
  21. Pythonman

DL-103 re-tipping advice

I find the standard $299 DL103 plays excellently, tracks everything, has zero issues with IGD or mistracking and sounds incredible. I have had the DL160 twice and would have bought again if they still made them but honestly, the DL103 is twice the cartridge the DL160 was. I doubt you could...
  22. Pythonman

Parasound A21+ good bad ugly?

Love my JC3+. I may buy another standard JC3 used to run my second turntable with. The 100ohm loading for MC would be perfect for my needs. 100ohms is a spot on match for my Koetsu Black. I don’t feel like I’m missing any of the Koetsus performance using the JC3+.
  23. Pythonman

Went to the local weed shop & was blown away by the choices!

Been a long time but I wouldn’t mind a good pot buzz and some Trower or Hendrix LPs. Sounds like they were by design meant to maximize the experience in combination with one another when you are stoned and listening. And yea, the stereo sounds a LOT better that way lol.
  24. Pythonman

Mysterious Pickering XV-15

Those cartridges had a great sound. Fantastic IMO. Me and a pal both had XV-15 400E carts back in the early ‘80s. Analog was killer back then and affordable.
  25. Pythonman

Parasound A21+ good bad ugly?

Looks great!
Back
Top Bottom