Search results

1. No Money

Fun Factoid Of The Day

Not one of the good ones. At least now there are treatments such as chelation therapy for both mercury and lead poisoning.
  2. No Money

Fun Factoid Of The Day

All the sources I have checked say it was the mercury vapour inhaled during the felting process. Lead was certainly an issue for painters and has different symptoms to mercury exposure. Another mercury related factoid, one of the first photographic processes, the daguerreotype, used vaporised...
  3. No Money

Fun Factoid Of The Day

The highest mountain in the world, if measured from the center of the earth and not sea level, is Mount Chimborazo in Ecuador.
  4. No Money

Fun Factoid Of The Day

We have checked the data, and the result is statistically significant when adjustment is made for outliers.
  5. No Money

Fun Factoid Of The Day

The expression "mad as a hatter" comes from the use of mercury in the felting process. Mercury exposure is not great for the ongoing health of the brain.
  6. No Money

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

Should have been much bigger. The Bailter Space Tanker album. Their previous incarnation, the Gordons, was a big influence on bands like Sonic Youth. Not bad for a bunch of guys from a small town in Aotearoa New Zealand.
  7. No Money

Revitalizing AK

And if you live with other people you can listen whenever you want. At volumes you want to and not disturb others. Add to that the fact high res players are getting really affordable and that you can load a lot of music onto them without needing to cart a huge stack of CD's with you it's a win...
  8. No Money

Revitalizing AK

Yeap, the sad "get off my lawn" BS I hear from my generation so often.
  9. No Money

Revitalizing AK

A lot of the ones I know stream hi res music at home, and not to Bluetooth speakers You need to listen to some good quality headphones. Often better sound than speakers as no room effects to get in the way. Try some Grado's or Shennheiser. I like my HD660S2's.
  10. No Money

Revitalizing AK

I have been here for a while now so I'm going to make a couple of suggestions about ways to encourage people to stay here after they find the site: Less of the "this is a Boys Club Only" attitude that is pretty strong amongst a subset of people here. Stop bitching about young people and the...
  11. No Money

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

B and P, kind of look the same ....
  12. No Money

I've seen similar miss-spelling all over the supposedly English speaking world. At least in most Asian countries they at least try to have an English equivalent for foreigners.
  13. No Money

Didn't meet him, but there is/was a white guy in Hong Kong who went with his then local girlfriend to get a tattoo. Unfortunately he didn't know that she knew he had been somewhat liberal with his affections and she was about to dump him. She gave the tattooist the characters for something like...
  14. No Money

I can remeber when Japanese kanji was very popular in the 80's. People walking around with Tshirts that said "Fire Sale" "Large Bird" and Where is the Fire Station?" in kanji. One of my friends was a Japanese translator and they would often laugh when she saw people wearing them.
  15. No Money

If you are, umm, a standup guy ...
  16. No Money

Oh, there are multitudes of those over many languages. Then there is what a word or phrase sounds like in another language. Nissan sounds similar to tombstone in Bahasa Indonesia. Delay no more sounds like you are suggesting someone have an intimate relationship with their mother in...
  17. No Money

Varriations on "Kicked the bucket" for dead. In Aotearoa New Zealand, "Sucked the kumara" (kumara is a sweet potato). In Hong Kong "Selling salty duck eggs". None of those make any sense. :)
  18. No Money

Most Average 90's/ early 2000's "Hard Rock" Song?

Had a brief interest myself when I was younger, but yeah, Gene Simmons ....
  19. No Money

Translation software is getting better, well, in some cases, Cantonese is still a minefield, but it will be a while before it gets great for some languages. I have worked with actual human translators and the thing that they talk about a lot is context and culture. Metaphors are fun … I lived in...
  20. No Money

Most Average 90's/ early 2000's "Hard Rock" Song?

Kiss, anything. But then calling them rock is probably not accurate, modern vaudeville maybe?
  21. No Money

Ritchie Blackmore talking about the riff from Smoke on the water

There is a lot of Prog that lifts themes from the likes of Bach, List, Wagner and so on. And of course Rachmaninoff and his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini use inversion as its underlying theme for part of the Rhapsody. My wife and I were at a jazz gig a while back were the guitarist was using...
  22. No Money

Ritchie Blackmore talking about the riff from Smoke on the water

When you hear it, it suddenly becomes very clear.
  23. No Money

Never seen anything like this before...

Reminds me of a Fiat 131 Racing that I helped a friend rescue and restore many years back. It had been sitting in a shed for a few years and rats had gotten into the upholstery and had nested in the boot and engine bay. We were young and stupid and cleaned it all out with no masks (but we did...
Back
Top Bottom