Search results

1. manyhobbies

NEED HELP finding a decent Receiver

Not sure how you were going to go about setting a vintage receiver up for computer audio, but I'm sure there are ways. If I was going to buy one for myself and wanted to keep it under $100 I would look for the older Pioneer SX Series receivers. The SX727 and SX 750 are two that come to mind...
  2. manyhobbies

New Forte 1 owner - need advice

I own a set of Forte 1s and honestly have been very happy using them in my "Vintage" rig. They sound wonderful with a thunderous bottom end. Not sure exactly what year they are, but they don't sound anywhere near a recap to me. I've driven them almost exclusively with Pioneer SX Receivers. The...
  3. manyhobbies

Table prices getting out of control

It seems like all of the vintage electronics have taken a jump. When I bought my Pioneer SX950 about 6 years ago they were selling for under $200 all day. Now nice ones regularly bring $300 plus. And some Re capped units for double that. I'm seriously thinking about selling my 950 I had it...
  4. manyhobbies

Replacement RCA cables

Blue Jeans LC1 affordable, well shielded, and low capacitance.
  5. manyhobbies

Rega Owner's Thread

I've had my RP6 now for about 7 months. I'm running it with the Rega Fono MKII preamp, and Kimber Hero interconnects into my NAD 375 Bee. So far I have added the upgrade white belt, and the Rega adjustable VTA spacer. I can also recommend the 3M damping kit by Audio additives that Music Direct...
  6. manyhobbies

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

I have had my Polk SDA 1Bs recapped and modified. And now, hearing them after adding the Ortofon 2M Black to the system, I can say without reservation that they are the best sounding loudspeakers I've ever heard. But to be fair I've never auditioned anything costing more than about $4000 a...
  7. manyhobbies

Newbie advice - setup complete / sense check needed

Congrats on a nice rig. Before I would suggest you spend any money on anything, I must ask, How many records do you have? Some Vinyl can be lacking in Bass just like any other medium. Then, be sure you have the speakers wired plus to plus and negative to negative. If their out of phase the rig...
  8. manyhobbies

Positive, negative, what has your experience been with Ortofon?

I just bit the bullet and bought a 2M Black. just got her all set up on my RP6 about 2 hours ago. All I can say is so far it sounds incredible. I expected the long break in mentioned by most people, but I would remain thoroughly happy if it kept sounding like it is now. After owning the Bronze I...
  9. manyhobbies

Polk SDA-1c's...lost the magic

Onwardjames. Can't remember for the life of me where I put the note to self with all the new components that were put in my SDAs. I remember Sonicaps in the high pass, and Dayton in the low pass. And their the caps that don't dry out over time. Sounds like that's a future project for you anyway...
  10. manyhobbies

Polk SDA-1c's...lost the magic

Onwardjames. First things first. The SDAs need an amp that loves to drive low impedances to shine. Not just one that tolerates low ohms, but one that thrives there. Without one, their going to sound like crap, no matter how many mods. IMHO. I can't overstate this fact enough. Personally, I'm...
  11. manyhobbies

Integrated Amp For Sensitive Speakers

Unless you plan on listening to your system at a constant ear ringing level, I can recommend the NAD 326bee without reservation. One thing of note is that the NAD amps easily drive low impedance, speakers. The NAD pp2 outboard preamp is nice as well. Just remember that you'll need a quality set...
  12. manyhobbies

Cartridge Alignment - I'm Lost

Zounds..... Looking at the cantilever "and" the cartridge sides etc. while trying to align your cart will make you nuts. Because it's pretty rare that these actually line up with each other. Forget the cart, and do all of your alignment looking at the Cantilever. I also turn the anti skate down...
  13. manyhobbies

Amp Recommemdations for bookshelves

Realizing that the OP may have already found his amp, I find it odd that nobody replied to this question. So here's my 2 cents.... I would recommend the NAD 326 Bee without any reservation whatsoever.
  14. manyhobbies

Favorite Rega RP6 mods, in order of priority?

I have found that my RP6 sounds much better in every way than a Music Hall table I have that's in the same price range. Even without any mods. But I have added the upgrade belt, and the 3M Audio additives damping kit that Music Direct sells. Personally I didn't notice much difference with the...
  15. manyhobbies

vinyl cleaning questions

I purchased my Spin Clean several years ago, and thought it would be good enough until I got a Vacuum model. But after cleaning thousands of records, it's never let me down. It's all I'll ever need. and I'm extremely picky about how my records sound. I especially like how the spin clean soap...
  16. manyhobbies

Cheap Turntable upgrade.

Hi Folks, Just wanted to let my fellow AKers know about a $25 upgrade I made to my RP6 that really made a difference. I did a search here, and didn't find anything on it. It's a 3M Turntable damping kit that's sold by Music Direct. I got the precut kit for Rega tables, and it did indeed add...
  17. manyhobbies

New Turntable Recommendations

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, about $450. Don't own one myself, but the new DC speed control should take this table to another level. I know the addition of a speed box S made a world of difference in my Music Hall 5.1SE.
  18. manyhobbies

Are you a serial cartridge swapper?

I used to be, but finally found one that sounded just right to me. The Ortofon 540 MKII is the one I like best of those I've tried on my RP6. To my ears it sounds quite a bit better than the 2M Bronze I have, at least on this table.
  19. manyhobbies

How many watts do you feed your Klipsches?

My Fortes sound wonderful with as little as 35 watts per channel. And will shake the walls when paired to my Pioneer SX 950 at 80 wpc.
  20. manyhobbies

Fortes all created equal?

You didn't mention what you'll be driving them with. I find mine sound awesome paired with my vintage gear, but somehow loose something with the modern stuff.
  21. manyhobbies

Integrated Amp for Paradigm Monitor 90p v3

My vote's for the NAD 326bee. I have one, and it's big brother, the 375bee. They both sound pretty amazing for the cost. I run both of these amps in tone defeat all the time. They simply don't need any adjustment. They sound identical to me. Of course the 375 will crank to ear splitting levels...
  22. manyhobbies

Amp broke… need suggestions for a replacement

I believe the NAD 326Bee would perform wonderfully in your setup. And save you a lot of money over some others. At $ 549 it's an amazing bargain, and sounds absolutely wonderful.
  23. manyhobbies

All the OTHER reasons why we like vinyl

For my No.3, it about the liquidity of the sound from them. It's opinion, subjective, and intangible but I hear it. Man I love that word... "Liquidity",,,,,,. If I had to describe my love of the "Vinyl" sound with a single word, that would be it..... "Liquidity"... I love it........:banana...
  24. manyhobbies

Do you have a record nemesis

Queen, Greatest Hits. The only record I own that skips. And I've never been able to find a decent copy, for a decent price.
Back
Top Bottom