Search results

1. Mart Mccall

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

I buy a lot of 1970s and 1980s music on CD and always try to seek out the original issue rather than a later remaster. They aren't always better, but mostly they are.
  2. Mart Mccall

System Set Up Help, Please

You need a pre-amp - and you need a pre-amp with a phono stage. The signal from the turntable needs RIAA correction and amplification before it gets sent to the power amp - that's why you're only getting a whisper of a sound. Lots of inexpensive integrated amps on the s/h market where the...
  3. Mart Mccall

Some pictures of my current lash-up

stopped using Photobucket years ago - I started this thread back in 2014 which was before they watermarked your pics if you didn't pay them - which obviously I'm not going to do. All the components in my system have changed about 5 times since then! But I'm pretty settled - by comparison - now.
  4. Mart Mccall

Celestion Ditton 66 v Proac studio 125

heard the 66 sound bad and really good. Some suggestions (apologies if you tried all this before but may help someone else) Get their backs about a foot or a foot and a half away from rear wall - no more - and give them some distance from side wall. As much as is practical. raise them off the...
  5. Mart Mccall

Amp for B&W 803 Diamond - blown tweeters

I have a friend with a pair of 683 as part of a 7 channel system, he's had them for well over a decade with no issues. He likes to listen to movie soundtracks at THX Reference level and did manage to blow the tweeter on the centre speaker but if you consider the centre gets the bulk of the...
  6. Mart Mccall

Really liking the Sony TA-1000ESD pre-amp. Bought as a bit of fun and I did not think it would stick around long in my main system but I was wrong. Seemed a bit toppy at first but reducing the amount of attenuation on the digital output sorted that out. Default is -12dB, after a bit of...
  7. Mart Mccall

Amp for B&W 803 Diamond - blown tweeters

Your amps should have no problem with the speakers. Tweeter blow because they have too much power put through them for too long. The amp doesn't need to be clipping to blow tweeters but if it is the chance of damage increases. There's intrinsically nothing wrong with the B&W tweeter. Most...
  8. Mart Mccall

Sick and tired of buying RCA cables for vintage gear

Audioquest from back in the 90s or earlier were always a very tight fit. Don't know about their current plugs.
  9. Mart Mccall

Things you can only hear on your high end systems

If the speaker has a suck-out at the frequency of a a guitar body tap, you might not hear it. If it has a peak near to that frequency then it might mask the guitar body tap. A smooth FR is important if you want to hear everything. For my own part as my system improved I had to relearn some of...
  10. Mart Mccall

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

I would get the amp looked at if you can. It's a good looking and performing unit, and worth saving.
  11. Mart Mccall

The perils of modern air travel.....?

Flying is the worst thing ever always has been. Last one I did was 2017 to Rome, after that I decided never again. Done a fair few long hauls. Always go to the airport bookshop and buy the two thickest books I can find, at least you can lose yourself in them to an extent and thus supress the...
  12. Mart Mccall

Why do stereo equipment reviewers never have the music I Play..?

In answer to the OP question I rarely have any of the reviewer's music. In fact in the last ten years they seem to be having a compettion to see who can use the most obscure stuff. Sometimes I check it out on Youtube to see what it is. It's usually some very simple, sparse recording that would...
  13. Mart Mccall

Why do stereo equipment reviewers never have the music I Play..?

I have 'Gaucho' on three different formats including two copies of the vinyl LP :D
  14. Mart Mccall

Do all audiophiles act like this?

I think people who are not obsessed with hi-fi equipment are weird. It's all just a question of perspective. Although I never subject visiting civilians to a 'demo' unless they ask for one. Which they usually don't. One of my brothers was going out with a woman who worked for EMI. He brought...
  15. Mart Mccall

Let's talk Listener Fatigue

IME fatigue is a result of Peak in the response centred around 1Khz - you can test this with EQ, dial it up you get fatigue, dial it down its more relaxed, but go too far and you lose all the 'life'. Regrettably some speakers have such a peak built in as can sound quite impressive in short demo...
  16. Mart Mccall

Advice for friend in London

Richer Sounds - have stores in Chelsea, Holborn, Swiss Cottage and Chiswick.
  17. Mart Mccall

SL-1200 Not that impressed

Sorry but I am sceptical of Technics claim there - who was doing this back in '77 and '78 when the Mk 2 was being developed? In Japan? I've never seen this mentioned in any of the original marketing material from 1979. Happy to be proven wrong.
  18. Mart Mccall

SL-1200 Not that impressed

I got rid of all my turntables but kept back one near mint SL1200 MK2. Fitted with Nagaoka MP50 cartridge. Don't use it but won't sell it. One of the best decks ever IMO in the cost/performance/build quality/ reliability equation. They are the Toyota Hilux of record decks. The mark 2 was...
  19. Mart Mccall

Newly arrived for winter/spring, Sony TA-E1000ESD digital pre-amplifier:
  20. Mart Mccall

Vinyl record shops report surge in burglaries, shoplifting

. If someone was stealing my records I wouldn't have any problem with shooting them. But, they don't let you do that no more. Put the sales counter by the door and make sure it's always manned. At least that way if they make a break for it they don't have much of a head start. And fit a heavy...
  21. Mart Mccall

What is Mid-Fi?

In the UK we don't have this concept of 'Mid-fi' whatever it actually means (I'm still not sure after reading all this thread). It's all 'Hi-Fi' here whether it's bottom of the line NAD or top of the line Audionote or whatever super-expensive brand you want to substitute. Calling the NAD...
  22. Mart Mccall

3 or 2 way speakers?

All else being equal a three way is better - but that 'all else being equal' is the really important bit! And there's exceptions anyway, that rule only applies to cone/dome speakers. For example JBL do two way speakers with compression drivers that are arguably as good or better than most...
  23. Mart Mccall

CD30

Did you check all fuses are intact?
Back
Top Bottom