Search results

1. W

High end driver for modified 2 way Cornscala

If not mistaken same one used in the new Jubilee.
  2. W

On a sad Klipsch note

All tout MDF as better but more the truth is price. MDF cheaper than plywood. Anyone tried these. Just saw them myself at Parts Express. Personally I would by the Selenium over the Atlas. https://www.parts-express.com/Atlas-Sound-PD-5VH-40W-Compression-Driver-242-858?quantity=1...
  3. W

On a sad Klipsch note

Probably has a lot to do with poor sales. Women and some others do not like wires messing up their décor either. Small active speakers with class D amplifiers are probably going to dominate the future market in hi-fi. There is always going to be those seeking the best so I hope the Klipsch...
  4. W

Auditioning a tube amp for my Cornwall 1.5's tomorrow.

Two watts with tubes is plenty of power for most with Klipsch speakers. Tubes with low power worked for decades on horns before SS.
  5. W

Had you ever sat down to listen to music

Bad connections common problem. Remove all cables and reattach a few times.
  6. W

Squawker driver alternatives

Resistors add in series. Put all the resistors in series to make 62ohm. There are 62 ohm resistors available 5 watts which is more than enough. https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-components/resistors/?power%20rating=5%20W&resistance=62%20Ohms&termination%20style=Axial&instock=y
  7. W

Comparing Cornwall to Crites "Cornscala"

Horn speakers with ported bass bin, should be very similar. All depends on crossover network.
  8. W

Top Ten Worst Transistors - noisy, failure-prone, whatever... and replacements

My go to, check first, replacement for the audio section is KSC1845 and KSA992 when substituting. Which transistor is the favorite first look at transistors for the tuner section, rf frequency. I understand about comparing data sheets when replacing transistors but was wondering if other members...
  9. W

Onkyo TX-5000 Receiver

Just bought one of these at a great price not working on Ebay. Tuner need repair, shaft coming out of slot and relay sticking. Seems to be a common problem being that another one on Ebay states tuning not working. I installed a shield cut from metal with two screws holding it in front of the...
  10. W

Really weird issue with Kenwood KR-4400

Sounds like oscillating problem. Caps or transistor but you probably already know this.
  11. W

Correct OnSemi. Was not concerned just thought I would post change. I've got 200 or more of each but get concerned when I see Mouser and Digikey out with long lead time and date. Bread and butter transistor for restorers. BC transistors are a good alternative though.
  12. W

Received my latest KSC1845 and KSA992's from Mouser and entirely different markings on the transistors from the ones I bought a year ago. Guess I have to trust Mouser to have sourced original ones to fulfill the demand.
  13. W

Onkyo reciever tuner shaft

After thinking about it for awhile today I decided to take the cover back off and see if the shaft may have slipped out of its hole in the back and yes it did. You were right Chazix. I had the same thing with the same fix on the Kenwood but being old and it being a few years ago I forgot the...
  14. W

Thanks for replying. I did the same thing you are talking about with a Kenwood 4070 I have. What I call a redneck fix but it works fine. I am afraid that is not the problem with this one though. Hole is worn. This Kenwood is a tank and worthy of fixing or I would just use it for parts. There is...
  15. W

Not sure where to post this question so I will try it here. The shaft that the wheel is attached that has the tensioned dial cord has worn the hole so that the gears are not engaging as the should. Easy to spot when removing cover because the wheel is canted to one side. I have ran across this...
  16. W

Desoldering gun

I have been using the Chinese Hakko clone S-993A for over a year now and it works really well after some learning curves using it. I would not want to be without it or possible a Hakko at some date in the future doing restoration work removing and replacing caps in 70's audio gear. Real time...
  17. W

Mouser now has the KSC1845 and KSA992 in stock. I bought an extra 100 of each.
  18. W

Anyone put in a mouser order of late?

Been using Wurth caps for restoration work and they measure and work fine. Great price when bought 50 at a time.
  19. W

K-77 Tweeter Replacement Driver while keeping the lens/horn

I was referring to my LaScala's. Too small a spot that the tweeter sits in for anything but the small square K-77. Never seen round magnets on a K-77 but I am sure you are right. Personally I say just buy baby cheek horn and attach Selenium D220-TI put it in a wood slide on top of the cabinet...
  20. W

Mode switch problem

I have a couple of receivers that the mode switch has no effect whether it is on mon, stereo. L+R, L or R. I am to believe it is in the switch itself unless someone else has had this problem with a different solution.
  21. W

K-77 Tweeter Replacement Driver while keeping the lens/horn

Most if not all drivers available for that horn are round and are too large to fit in the cabinet. You will need a square one like the ones Crites sells if you want it to fit inside your cabinet. Bob Crites criticized the simplespeakers diaphragms as not up to par but there are many they use and...
  22. W

1985 La Scalas…should I? These are modified.

Many say that LaScala's will always just be PA speakers. The truth is for the year made they have the same drivers and speakers as the Klipschorn speakers. The only difference is the bass bins, cabinets. You lose around an octave in the bottom end over a Klipschorn but they do not need a corner...
  23. W

Definitely after the AL. Those black tweeter network caps appear to be some of the old Russian PIO caps. I have used them myself in networks and like the sound of them. Probably roll off the highs somewhat but that is not necessary a bad thing with horns as some consider horns too bright.
  24. W

No doubt recapped. Klipsch used motor run caps back then. My 86' came with AL crossover which I have changed to AA. Someone who designed the AL went notch filter crazy making the frequency flatter. Not necessarily a good thing. Always tradeoffs.
  25. W

IMHO the cosmetic work done is probably worth $1000 + or - over the going price for stock 85 LaScala's for those that appreciate fine woodworking. The guy did an amazing job with the veneering and mods. The price of veneer is shocking for most these days and not everyone can install it. I would...
Back
Top Bottom