Search results

1. S

Anything under $2000/pair better than B&W CM9?

I appreciate the tip. I honestly never gave JBLs a look. They pop up on CL around here from time to time, and are always super cheap, so I assumed they weren't great speakers. But reviews for these are really positive, thanks!
  2. S

Thanks for the tip! I've never had the chance to hear KEFs, and I'm not sure anyone in the area carries them, unfortunately. One review says "warm," which I think is for me. I like separation, but not at clinical levels. Have you owned or heard the q700s?
  3. S

Vintage speakers that have a lot of bass?

I'm still holding onto a pair of Klipsch KG-4s that give a full finger to subs. They're not the sexiest speaker to bring to the discussion, but they are seriously fun to listen to. My old Sherwood S-7100A has no trouble driving them, either!
  4. S

So I'm considering a major upgrade of my speakers (currently have Monitor Audio Bronze 5s), and I'm looking for something in the $1200/pair range. I've had my sights on some used Martin Logan Motion 40's, so I visited a Best Buy/Magnolia to audition them. Upon listening, I found the Motion 40s...
  5. S

One of These Things is Not Like the Other - What to Upgrade?

Room dimensions are 17"x12". But the setup sits in the only available corner, and the space is tight. It's not optional, but it is what it is. I'm more able to change the components than the makeup of the room. I sit about 10-12" from the setup, as close to an equilateral triangle as possible...
  6. S

I'm currently looking at a classic Yamaha DSP-A1 right now, or considering a separate power amp and using the Onkyo as a preamp. Seems like a waste of a decent receiver, but maybe 80 watts or the quality of the power isn't enough.
  7. S

Ha! I actually went from a Thorens TD-160 to the Technics. I LOVED the Thorens, but had to move my setup to a room that would have required a wall shelf or some sort. Even light footfalls were killing it. But cheers to your vintage TT. I hope to have another one someday.
  8. S

Sub on a budget - Craigslist used (Sunfire or ML Abyss) or SVS SB-1000?

Thanks, MannyE. That was concise and really helpful. I also need pictures :) I have a much better understanding now, thank you.
  9. S

Not to contradict, but the few threads I could find on the SVS were by audiophiles. That made it seem like it was more of a "musical" sub. Good to know. More on the ML - I see the following quote in a review: "Unlike many powered subwoofers, the audio signal coming out of the line-level...
  10. S

Thanks for the heads up. At first glance, reviews appear to be positive but you don't always get the long ownership reviews on Amazon.
  11. S

For reference, the room dimensions are 17' x 13'. A living room - carpeted, furniture, etc. And while the 2ch system also provides audio for a television, I'm looking for a sub that is suited for music as opposed to explosions and aliens.
  12. S

The Sunfire appears to be essentially new. Are you saying the Sunfire's have a reputation for bad quality?
  13. S

Hi All, After dealing with some less-than-optimal low end on my current system, I'm looking to add an affordable sub (<$500). I see great things in regards to the SVS SB-1000. But there are two local options on CL that have me wondering if I couldn't get the same result at less cost...
  14. S

I want to quote all of the responses! This is all helpful. - Regarding the Budgie: I love the flexibility of this preamp, and I do enjoy adjusting the settings depending on what kind of music I'm listening to. Can't recommend this preamp enough for the price. It does help tame the high end a...
  15. S

Wow. Thank you all very much for the responses and insight. Budget is $500. What's funny about the speakers and receiver is, they maxed my budget when I first bought them. Replacing either would feel like a waste, since I've only had them for a year. But what speaker is out there under...
  16. S

My intent wasn't to compare vinyl to digital, but I appreciate the comment. My first setup was a Thorens TD-160/Shure V15-II/Sherwood S-7100a/Klipsch KG-4s. The bass was actually pretty excellent (and not just loud). The subs on the KG-4s did a nice job. Just no room for those monsters in the...
  17. S

Hello all, Long time lurker looking for a little opinion or insight. I love this site, and I appreciate being able to come here to learn about the world of analog audio. I'm grateful for any knowledge out there to help upgrade my current system. I've been rolling with my current setup for...
Back
Top Bottom