Search results

1. MarcoFantone

Vintage Magnavox Astro-Sonic

Hale: Welcome to the forums. Our Astro-Sonics were built a month from each other! (I saw the 10/64 sticker on one of your image posts). Not sure I can speak to your specific problem but removing the turntable from the console is definitely a must in order to be able to access the underside. From...
  2. MarcoFantone

More caps to replace?

While I've made progress on the audio of my Astro-Sonic, I'm still getting unbalanced sound when using the FM function. It's all base from one channel and all treble from the other. I know it's not the speakers since both the Phono and AM functions sound perfect with all 4 speakers putting out...
  3. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

I quickly realized swapping Germanuim with Silicon wasn't a direct swap. This is the first time I'm hearing about GE13. The Sam's schematic for the R204 chassis lists DS520 and a GE3 transistor. Is GE13 a newer version? Just curious.
  4. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

I decided to swap the positions of the 4 transistors to see if it would affect the channel outputs and it did. Originally, channel 2 worked. After the swap, nothing on 2 but channel 1 now worked. So I have to assume it's transistor related. I found some NOS NTE104s on eBay which are supposed...
  5. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

The SAM'S schematic was very useful, thanks! I'd like to avoid the germaniums if possible simply due to their cost. Is there any reason why a silicon 2N3055 wouldn't work? I'm completely green as far as transistor knowledge goes and am simply going by stats. The original germaniums are 10A/50V...
  6. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

Actually tried them but they didn't have it. My Magnavox is an R204 chassis. But thanks anyway!
  7. MarcoFantone

Good afternoon. Hoping you can provide that small nugget of info I need to get my 1964...

Good afternoon. Hoping you can provide that small nugget of info I need to get my 1964 Astro-Sonic working. I've determined that a bad output transistor is the problem. I've been through a full recap and I have sound from one channel right now. Question to you is what are the specs for these...
  8. MarcoFantone

New TO-3 Output Transistors

Informative thread - all 6 pages worth! While most of the posts were for newer, faster equipment, I find myself in need of a set of TO-3s for an early 60s audio console but I have no idea what the values for my transistors are. Any thoughts on how these newer TO-3s would interact with an older...
  9. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

38p1b 4-52
  10. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

Almost certain it's germanium. I've been trying to track down a schematic for weeks now with no luck. Do the numbers on the transistor mean anything?
  11. MarcoFantone

Transistor ID

May need to do a transistor replacement in my 1964 Magnavox console but have no idea what to replace this with. I'm told this is one of the early germanium transistors. If there are any regulars with transistor knowledge I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.
  12. MarcoFantone

Choosing replacement resistor ratings

Thought this would be as simple as the electrolytic caps I replaced but apparently not. I have some suspect CC resistors on the circuit board of my 1964 Magnavox Astro-Sonic console that I'd like to replace but can't seem to find any resource that tells me if there is a range for the Ohm value I...
  13. MarcoFantone

Maggie Micromatic bad speaker channel?

Update with video this time: http://youtu.be/dFt_XHh0GVI
  14. MarcoFantone

Interchangable needle?

I agree and I'm tempted to order it.. I was hoping there was someone on this forum who had been down this road before so I wouldn't have to be the guinea pig!
  15. MarcoFantone

Interchangable needle?

I'm trying to source a DS73 needle for my 1964 Magnavox and Turntableneedles.com can't confirm if the two following needles are interchangable: http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-365_p_1045.html http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-359_p_1041.html Their part #359 appears to be the...
  16. MarcoFantone

This has a tuner as well. Problem is happening regardless of what music source I choose. After I posted this, a low-level noise developed in the good channel. Now I'm really frustrated!
  17. MarcoFantone

After a full re-cap, my 2ST678 finally has sound again. Problem now is I'm only getting sound out of channel 2. If I touch the speaker wire to the channel 1 tab I get a loud hum similar to a foghorn. Is something shorting out? Everything looks fine and I can't think of what else to check. Any...
  18. MarcoFantone

Maggie needs new caps

UPDATE: New caps solved the sound issue. Also tested all 4 speakers and they sound great. I do unfortunately have one remaining problem; I'm only getting sound out of one channel and can't seem to be able to trace the problem to any one area. Any ideas of what to look for???
  19. MarcoFantone

Maggie needs new caps

This answers a lot of questions and also is in line with some reading I've done since posting this. Thanks!
  20. MarcoFantone

Maggie needs new caps

Now that I've solved my turntable issue, I need to address what is likely causing the lack of sound coming through the speakers on my 2ST678 console. I would like to replace the electrolytic caps simply because this unit bears two of the telltale signs of bad caps: a very long period of no use...
  21. MarcoFantone

Magnavox Micromatic Q

No tubes on this unit.
  22. MarcoFantone

Magnavox Micromatic Q

Is there a resource for seeing what the caps look like and where I can find replacement caps???
  23. MarcoFantone

Magnavox Micromatic Q

Used DeOxit on pretty much anything that rotates or switches and really didn't notice a difference. I never had any crackling sound when turning the knobs so I'm thinking that any oxidation issues were minimal to begin with. I'm really beginning to think it's the capacitors.
  24. MarcoFantone

Magnavox Micromatic Q

I've seen a few posts so far that have mentioned the electrolytic caps and I'm willing to install new ones but there are two problems. I have no idea what they are or what they look like! I'd also need a reputable source to buy them from along with any capacity specs, etc... Appreciate the...
  25. MarcoFantone

Magnavox Micromatic Q

My bad for not clarifying the sound issue. I'm experiencing the same muted sound problem with the stereo, not just the turntable so while the needle may be questionable (haven't even gotten that far yet!) I'm sure it's something else. I'm just able to hear a radio station with the sound on...
Back
Top Bottom