Search results

1. bobrown14

New Build - bias? more amps or more volts??

I'm getting ready for my upcoming tube amp building season. Gathering parts and whatnot and I stumbled upon a GIANT transformer. Thing is it's got 365-0-365 secondaries @ a WHOPPING 395mA. This tranny is big and heavy weighing in at close to 17#s. It's crazy... I've been messing with KT150 tubes...
  2. bobrown14

Sansui Eight Deluxe - Big Cap replacement

Hey all just thought I'd share my work I did today on a Sansui Eight Deluxe. Problem I had was replacing those large can capacitors 65mm x 85mm. replacements that large by today's standards cost upwards of $35 if you can find them. I remember how folks were re-stuffing the oval caps in the...
  3. bobrown14

Sansui Eight Deluxe

Hey kids - Re-capping one of these beauties for a friend and need some advice. I'm looking for replacement main filter capacitors. I "think" they are 65mm diameter. So I have 2 questions... are they in fact 65mm and has anyone found a suitable replacement capacitor in that size or close enough...
  4. bobrown14

KT150 SEUL build??

I'm getting parts together to build another SE tube amp. I was thinking of building some mono blocks with KT150. I'm soliciting for help/advice here for schematics/driver tube. I just got a set of Hammond 1628SEA with UL taps 30 watts. I'm in the gathering parts stage so getting transformers is...
  5. bobrown14

LM350T regulators - HOT??

I have a question about LM350T regulators. I'm building a Marantz 7 clone preamp. I've got a power supply board with the LM350 regs on them attached to a fairly hefty heat shield. The preamp works & has sound. All my voltages are good to the HV side (277vac from the HV transformer) and good on...
  6. bobrown14

EV ST-350 tweeter issue - help needed

Last night I was hooking back up my EV Sentry III speakers in my newly renovated listening room. After playing some music for a few minutes I noticed a lack of sparkle out of one of my speakers. Took the front cover off and ear up to the st-350 tweeter and low and behold no sound coming out...
  7. bobrown14

Dish - Hopper/Joey analog sound?

Ok today I took the plunge with the Dish Hopper/Joey. Called Dish and they will upgrade my 722 with the new Hopper/Joey. Here's my question: I'm going to have the Joey (remote) installed in my listening room with all analog gear in there. The Joey (will be installed in my listening room) has RCA...
  8. bobrown14

Another New KT88 SEUL Kegger Version

I built a 6L6 SEUL before Christmas 2012 and have been acquiring parts for a KT88 SEUL build. I'm a cheapo so I like to re-purpose parts like old power transformers and amp chassis and the like (not OPT, resistors or caps tho). So here's my new build. Power transformer is a Stancor PC-8412...
  9. bobrown14

SE amp with CFB winding on OPTs

Summertime is almost over and my solder iron is calling me. I just received a pair of Chinese OPTs with a second winding for cathode feedback. I already built a kit from China and I want to experiment with these OPTs with cathode feedback. I really dont have much info for the amount or windings...
  10. bobrown14

Pioneer PL-707 overhang ?

OK - I just got a new cart for my PL 707 TT and want to know the best overhang setup? Manual says 15MM but where do I measure ... Whats the best protractor for this TT? I've got it running and it sounds good, more bass than what I had previously. Original cart is a MA 3002 subbing in...
  11. bobrown14

Dynamic Mounting?

Hi all, anyone have any experience with this TV mount: http://www.dynamicmounting.com I have a fireplace that is a MAJOR part of my living room and right now have it placed on a low stand on a side wall. I never felt comfortable putting a mount above my fireplace (never use it for a fire)...
  12. bobrown14

Advice needed on Safe N Sound

Hi all, I need some advice. I'm re-doing my listening space. On the back wall behind my speakers I have a 2' thick stone wall. I'm putting in a 2x4x8" stud wall (running new 20 amp circuit for amps), and I'm going to add Safe n Sound insulation between the studs then cover the wall with...
  13. bobrown14

Help Choosing a new Receiver

My HK-430 stopped working so I need a new AVR. I'm looking at these 3 receivers and want to get input on which one to purchase. Here's what I'm looking at: Denon AVR-990 Denon AVR 3310CI Yamaha RX V667 Yamaha RX-A700 All 4 have pre-outs which is something I would really like to...
  14. bobrown14

New SE Tube Build - advice needed!

I'm getting my stuff together for an SE all tube amp build. What I have so far is a vintage Motorola 3 channel chassis with a PT which used a 3DG4 rectifier in a past life. I'd like to use the PT and the 3DG4 (2 3.2V filament windings) which is unusual but I looked up the 3DG4 and it can put...
  15. bobrown14

WE OPT transformers - 27#s per!!?

What the ho-hey. I found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-WE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-OUTPUT-TRANSFORMER-TRANSFORMERS-D-159919-D-166167-/221003652482?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3374d81d82 27#s a piece for output trannys! Holy Jesus... how many watts can these puppies put out...
  16. bobrown14

QLS Emit Tweeters ??

I have some QLS-IIIs and noticed some crackly sound and thought it might be more corosion on the pots. took a closer listen to the tweeters and they seemed down on volume. I just pulled them and measured 11.6 Ohms and 12.4 Ohms. The 11.6 mesurement is with the Emit totally removed from circuit...
  17. bobrown14

AC on my Preamp case?

The other day my FM tuner got staticy sound so I thought I'd go check the outdoor antenna and tighten up the connector for the shielded cable. Well while standing outside (wet grass) I tried to tighten the connector and got a little charge. I thought that was weird. Well still staticy sounds on...
  18. bobrown14

Phono DIY P06

Hi all, Recently I built the CNC preamp from Toad design here on AK. It tipped my bucket to the realm of diy phono pre preamps. The CNC sounding VERY good. I was in the middle of building a ESP P05/P06 phono preamp/power supply and while waiting for some parts I built the CNC (there's a...
  19. bobrown14

ESP P05 Output ?

I'm building a power supply the ESP P05b with a toroidal transformer and I have a question. My unloaded output from the pos and neg rails on the P05 measure: -14.95V 15.2V I'm going to power a chip phono preamp with this.. I expected to see the same voltages from each rail...I matched...
  20. bobrown14

Get a look at this: Stromberg Carlson Mid Century Console

Just saw this one on e-pay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270798260250&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123 Nice down fire woofers, very cool cab and stereo. Not the 140 watt model as advertised.... 2 6V6 per channel ehh maybe 15-20 watts per (at best) but hey... Isn't it the...
  21. bobrown14

Heathkit Tube W-4 ???

I got a second chance offer for a pair of W-4 AM mono blocks for $187, should I go for it? Cheers, Bob
  22. bobrown14

Crap Load of Tubes just in?

Ok -friend of mine comes into my shop the other day. He does house clean outs and I asked him if he stumbles on some tubes to bring em my way... six months later ... KA-BOOM, he delivers the goods. I've got a PILE of tubes. Looks like they came out of a TV tube repair box (but no caddy)...
  23. bobrown14

Quantun III and SE 2A3 amp - anyone?

Has anyone out there tried to drive any Quantum series speakers with a low watt 2A3 or 300B tube amp? If so how where the results? Thinking about next winter project. Cheers, Bob
  24. bobrown14

Replacement stylii for Denon DL-80 Cart?

Anyone have any idea for a good replacement Stylii for this cart (DL-80)? I think they came stock on the Denon DP-47F which is the TT I want to mount this to. I got the cart with a broken off needle/catilever for next to nothing. Any ideas would be geatly appriciated. Cheers, Bob
  25. bobrown14

QLS-III bypass or not to bypass??

Here we go again kids. Ok here's what I'm going to do and I would like some input. I bought all the caps to re-cap my Infinity QLS-III speaks. Reason for re-cap: I'm loosing some volume (low output) from the Emit tweeter in the right side speaker. I have very little or no control with the L-pad...
Back
Top Bottom