Search results

1. P

4" midrange driver replacement

You could try a Dayton Audio TCP115-8. 4" mid/woofer. Very cheap, but have quite a deep bass response for their small size.
  2. P

Thermal Probe Reccomendation

Probably the best thing to go for, if funds allow, is a thermal camera. They usually label temperatures and show different temperatures in an image as different colours. They are quite accurate. Some will also record an image for future comparison. We used them at work for tracing hotspots in...
  3. P

Storing Records In Order

I store them in Artist/band name order. i have about 300 Albums and about 400 CDs, so not a massive collection. The main reason is so I can find what I want to listen to!!!!!!
  4. P

Pioneer PL518 Turntable stylus

Got to say the stylus looks like an Ortofon VMS series copy. Like has been said, a good look at the cartridge (especially the top and the front with the stylus removed) would help.
  5. P

Pioneer pl-430 motor

They all jerk around backwards and forwards without the platter on, although that one doesn't look quite right. How does it run when the platter is fitted?
  6. P

Rega planar 6 low end feedback problems

These have a lightweight plinth. Maybe mounting it on a decent isolation platform would help.
  7. P

Linear Tracking Turntables...

I have a Pioneer PL-X430 from 1987. It's midi format (designed to match the Pioneer X430 range) fully automatic servo motor belt drive linear tracker. I bought it cheap just to play with a linear tracker for the fun of it. It functions perfectly. Actually it's quite good, better than I expected...
  8. P

Sansui Turntable Purchase

I have a black Fr-D35 that I picked up a few months ago as spares or repair. The auto return didn't work - easily fixed. Presentation wise it looks very tidy. This turntable was mostly seen in the USA, not many in the U.K. and the black ones are fairly unusual. Overall not a bad turntable. Speed...
  9. P

Temperature of output stage of amps.

The only time I have measured the heatsink and power transistor temperatures on my power amp is when I am setting the bias current. The amp is thermally protected so will shut itself down if it overheats - it never has, and the hifi is located close to a radiator so the ambient temperature can...
  10. P

AT-VM95E and 50 kOhm load impedance

47KOhm is a standard resistor value. That extra quoted 3KOhms will make no audible difference.
  11. P

Recommendations on cartridges/needles for Thorens TD 126 MKII

Glad you have found a good result. Now sit back and enjoy the music.
  12. P

Capacitor sizing

Your 3 options are 11.8uF, 12.4uF and 12uF. Single or parallel doesn't really matter, just go for the closest as otherwise you will affect the tuning frequency of the filter slightly.
  13. P

Platter weight?

I use a light plastic clamp that clips over the spindle. It doesn't exert much pressure and is just pressed on and pulled off the spindle. But in saying that, none of my turntable mats have those large raised ridges on them. I haven't noticed the outside edge of a record being lifted when the...
  14. P

Recommendations on cartridges/needles for Thorens TD 126 MKII

I don't know if you have selected a cartridge yet, but if you go for the Ortofon, which is ideally suited for your low mass arm as it's high compliance, I would be inclined to opt for the standard OM20, not the superOM version. The super OM20 is quite forward sounding, a bit like a 2Mblue. The...
  15. P

What Alignment do you use - Poll

I use the plastic mirrored Ortofon protractor (which I have recently found out is Beowald 1) as I use an OM20 cartridge. I couple this with the Project overhang check (my arm is Project) and the combination seems to work O.K. I borrowed a Project alignment disc for the arm I have and the...
  16. P

My DIY enclosure build for a small power supply

Dis you get that power LED from the same place as ART got theirs for the DJ Pre phono amp?
  17. P

Power Amplifier, when do you need one?

Good answers. To expand on this with a little more detail for Xenomorph:- Every integrated stereo amplifier has 2 power amplifiers inside it. These are the sections of the unit which provide the grunt to power the loudspeakers. What happens before that point varies according to the individual...
  18. P

Need help choosing a cart alignment tool

I also use the Ortofon 2 point protractor. I checked and can confirm that it is Boeward 1 alignment format.
  19. P

Loundness tap delete what will it effect?

Generally the loudness tap is there to reduce or negate the loudness selection when the volume control is above a certain point on it's rotation. Effectively, the loudness control will only have an effect at lower volume settings. No loudness function will be available at higher volume settings...
  20. P

Relationship between biasing and high frequency oscillation?

When I first posted I wasn't aware that the amp was a MOSFET unit. These (as stated) are particularly prone to HF oscillation if the gates are not locked down correctly.
  21. P

Resistors missing in service manual.

It's not unusual to find this kind of thing. Always remember you can get:- Misprints, Confusion between schematics, layouts and real machines. Parts added during manufacture, but not shown in service manuals. Different versions for different markets. Different components fitted than those...
  22. P

make a two way crossover into a three way

I have a 3 way fully active system using analogue active crossovers and an analogue 15 band analogue equaliser to make fine response curve adjustments. They are all running with custom built ultrasmooth linear power supplies plus some other modifications to suit my system. Going back to the...
  23. P

how to check leaky or noisy transistors?

You are only chilling a component for a very short time. Basically you are looking to see if the device changes it's behaviour as it warms up during normal operation. I have never come across any other components being damaged while doing this. Also, the freezer spray chemicals are non conductive.
  24. P

Relationship between biasing and high frequency oscillation?

Remember that the precise switch off point and non linear zones of the PNP and NPN pairs will be different. Also, quite often, the precise circuit topology of the positive and negative going sections of the amplifier power stage may be different. The overall feedback loop back to the input VAS...
  25. P

make a two way crossover into a three way

No, because the series capacitor forms a high pass filter which allows everything above that frequency to get through. The tweeter high pass circuit will operate as before. It just doesn't have to block the very low frequencies as they are no longer there.
Back
Top Bottom