Search results

1. P

Measuring anti-skate lateral force

This is purely for discussion. Just out of interest I was thinking of setting up a lateral bias measuring system possibly using a very sensitive strain gauge. The question is - What should the bias force be? I presume that this world vary arms and cartridges of different effective masses, but is...
  2. P

Fr-D35 slight problem

I picked up a Fr-D35 cheap with some minor faults. The auto return didn't work and the stylus was broken. But cosmetically it was in very good shape. It's quite a pretty unit. There didn't seem to be many of these sold into the UK (mostly USA by all accounts) and a black one is even more unusual...
  3. P

Sansui Fr-D35

I have just bagged myself a Sansui Fr-D35 auto return DD turntable for cheap money. You don't often see these in the U.K. - they seemed to have been sold mostly in the USA. A black plinth version is even more unusual. The plinth on this one is perfect, so that gives me a good place to start. My...
  4. P

Surface noise

I have noticed a reduction in surface noise by running my tonearm slightly low at the pillar end (cartridge leaning back very slightly), rather than absolutely flat. It's also (i think) reduced treble sibilance slightly as well, giving a nicer overall tone. Context: Hybrid turntable. Project...
  5. P

Weird record cleaner

The other day I was sat watching the TV, looking at the hifi while cleaning 3 styluses and I got thinking.................................... I always brush a stylus before use with a soft sable paint brush and give the record a quck clean with a carbon fibre brush. I have a microscope...
  6. P

Nice little find - maybe

I've just bagged a couple of Pioneer bits on a well known auction site for reasonable money. Pioneer SX 700L receiver (The silver European version). Pioneer PL 400X record deck (the dark grey one). Pioneer CT 300 silver cassette deck. Not necessarily top of the line stuff, but nice anyway...
  7. P

Which way to go.

I have a highly modified Pro-Ject P1.2. It has a Pioneer direct drive motor system with external smooth linear power supply. Very low vibration (unlike the original motor system, which was terrible) and very accurate speed. The arm has had new bearings, silver litz wiring, new Cambridge Audio...
  8. P

Amplifier playtime

I have a Denon PMA720AE which I bought new a few years back. I got it while I was playing around with multi amp setups and needed a cheap (relatively) amp, preferably with a preamp output and the Denon fitted the bill. Oddly, the preamp output on this amp actually isn't. It is derived from the...
  9. P

Help, advice, opinions

Hi All at AK. I have an old Pro-Ject 1.2 that I am modifying / upgrading. I like the turntable, it's simplicity and clean look, but I could never get rid of the motor vibration, It also ran slightly slow and the steel platter was slightly warped. So I looked at upgrading it, mostly because I...
  10. P

Active speaker impedance correction

My system is stereo 3 way fully active using analogue electronic crossovers and solid state power amps (6 x 70 watts) My question: Is there any good reason to add impedance correction to the individual speaker drivers when each one is directly driven by a solid state amp? This would consist of...
  11. P

Data cabling

As I will have either option, is it better to go with phono type SP/Dif or Toslink optical between CD player and DAC?
  12. P

What does it actually do?

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 550C CD player. It has a Wolfson WM8740 DAC inside it. All the brurb says that this DAC is '192KHz capable'. But does it actually upsample from the CD 44.1KHZ to 192KHZ and then carryout the D to A conversion from that bitstream? Or does it actually do something...
  13. P

Which is the most important bit?

I've picked up a Pro-Ject 1.2. It is old-ish and has never been used. I'm led to believe that it was cannibalised for missing bits (for customers purchases) and just wasn't sold at the time - just sat in a corner in it's box. Anyway - and this leads to the question - I set it up with my Sumiko...
  14. P

How do you listen to your system?

Do you set up the listening chair in the perfect position on your own in 'the listening room' and crank it up - true audiophile type of person? Or do you normally listen at a volume where you can also hold a normal conversation? Somewhere in between? I'm just interested in what other people do...
  15. P

Cartridge loading again - Just a thought

I know this subject has been hit before, but I was just wondering............ Audio Technica AT95E 200pF - 600pF Ortofon OM10 200pF - 500pF Sumiko Pearl 100pF - 200pF I have a Dynovox TC-750. I replaced the supplied power supply with a...
  16. P

How do you measure a cartridge

Seems an odd question. I'll try to explain. I was checking the setup of my Pioneer PL300X in regard to setting the VTA. I have an AT5E and an Ortofon OM10 (a Sumiko Pearl is on it's way) and I checked the specs for the two cartridges. The AT said specs said 17mm height and I measured this as...
  17. P

Pioneer help

I have a Pioneer PL-300X turntable which I bough new in about 1982. The unit is in virtually factory condition and I have the service manual for it. It runs very well and I am giving it a bit of a workover. The motor bearing is stated as being lubrication free, and as it is still silent, I have...
  18. P

Why are high end turntables belt driven?

I don't know the answer to this, but I have some questions. I guess with time on my hands over Christmas I got to thinking about it. My main turntable is a Pioneer PL300X (the dark grey one) which has a phase locked loop servo controlled direct drive motor with a hanging rotor. This is generally...
  19. P

PL300X New cart

I have been using an AT95E on my Pioneer PL300X for some time, so I decided that an upgrade was in order. I have ordered an Ortofon OM5E. Not too much money and with a stylus upgrade route if I like the sound. I was researching relative compliance (arms/cartridges) and came to the conclusion...
Back
Top Bottom