Search results

1. naive

tonearm improvement?

Thanks, I'll check it out. The little I've read it sounds like a great arm at a decent price.
  2. naive

tonearm improvement?

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the advice. I think I'll pass on the Mayware, save up for a more appropriate tonearm. I'd probably like to have more options for cartridges... Hit me up if you happen to have an Ittok sitting around :)
  3. naive

tonearm improvement?

Sure, that is the next big question... what is the best cartridge for whatever arm I end up with. I would prefer the Ittok for sure, it's gorgeous (but expensive), if the Mayware is decent... thought I might give it a go for the asking price ($300).
  4. naive

tonearm improvement?

Thanks Jeff
  5. naive

tonearm improvement?

Do you think a Mayware Formula IV Mk III is a better tonearm than the Linn Basik on a Linn Sondek LP12? Not a ton of love for the Linn Basik it seems... I don't know anything about the Mayware but saw one on BT. Seeking opinions, or recommendations for a good arm... I've been holding out for a...
  6. naive

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Looks amazing, super classy!!
  7. naive

Linn Sara Isobarik loudspeakers

Thanks, that's good to hear. It has decent bass now, but I wouldn't call it full yet.... thought maybe it was a positioning problem, can't put them up against a wall yet, which I've read really helps (the system is in a temporary location). If it is a damaged woofer, would I hear distortion? or...
  8. naive

I have read that, and was concerned maybe my Mcintosh MC 2105 @ 105 watts per channel wasn't powerful enough. Maybe in the future I'll get another MC 2105 and bi-amp. Could I be doing damage to the Linns (or the amp) by under powering them?
  9. naive

Yeah, I was just wondering if I absolutely had to bi-wire these saras. I'm just learning about decent gear and it was my first encounter with four connections on a speaker. Anyway, I made some fake bi-wire cables, just to get listening. I love these speakers (missing a little low end perhaps...
  10. naive

Hello, I just picked up a nice pair of Linn Sara Isobarik loudspeakers (maybe Sara 9?). I've done some research but can't find an answer to what is probably a simple question. These are bi wirable (still figuring that out) the back of these speakers has 4 terminals.... my question is, do I HAVE...
  11. naive

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

my "the AR" turntable Hello everyone, I would like to add my humble AR to the long list of amazing turntables in this thread. Marc Morin did all the work, making it sound incredible. I'm no photographer so these pics really don't show off the finish Marc put on it. I love the original...
  12. naive

At my wits end: clicking popping records

pops I have the same issue with the pops, pretty frustrating. I think my new aftermarket plexi dustcover is adding a ton of static. When I reach in to flip the record the hairs on my arm are attracted to the dust cover. I remove it and it helps, I polish it with novus #1 plastic cleaner, it...
  13. naive

random pops

Thanks 91r100gs, I'll pick one up. Sounds like a simple solution. It's gotten so dry up here that the records are crackling with static coming off the VPI. I'm not even running the vacuum too long, I'm sure I would have lightning bolts if I did that!! two rotations max. Yep, that's it exactly.
  14. naive

random pops

Thanks luvvinvinyl, so true. I'm sure to have a bunch of problems with obvious solutions in the future... happy to add to the knowledge base. I always wondered if those Zerostat guns worked, I'll have to pick one up!! or a Nagaoka whatever helps to kill this static. That's great advice. I...
  15. naive

random pops

I've seen a few different types of test record, I'll check out the shure version. It certainly would answer a few questions. I think the combo sounds really good.... especially compared to what I had before, an old sumiko pearl with years of hours and no set-up. I'm still working out some...
  16. naive

random pops

okay huh I may have figured something out Thanks for the quick responses h3ll0 and ScaleAutoArt. I put on a few random records this evening and nothing, totally smooth sailing. So I put on the Miles Davis I had problems with yesterday and fortunately it played perfect, so it isn't the...
  17. naive

random pops

Hello, I have a beginners question. I just had a denon dl 110 put on my luxman pd264 and it really sounds great, my first major unmistakable improvement and it was exciting.... that's a whole other post. Last night I opened a mofi copy of "in a silent way" totally new and started getting...
  18. naive

what had happened was.

hmm Sorry for my ignorance, I'll need to look up a couple of the things you mentioned. The lights certainly went off and I assumed it shut down, I quickly unplugged it to try and prevent any more problems. I'm gonna educate myself on the countdown circuit, a collapsing power supply...
  19. naive

what had happened was.

thanks That doesn't sound too bad. It's scheduled to get serviced/cleaned soon. Maybe they'll find a weak relay, or whatever may have been the issue. At least there weren't any flames!! Thanks for the input.
  20. naive

what had happened was.

Hello all. I just bought some Mac gear that may have sat for a few years, I didn't know the history, but it looked super clean. I'm wondering what happened when I first plugged in the 2150, probably not good. I had the mr-77 and c-28 hooked up. I had all the volumes down and kinda checking...
  21. naive

the AR vs. Luxman pd 264

Thanks Marc. So it could be a keeper!! It seems like a decent place to start (I'm sure I'll be on here asking about upgrade options in the future). Do you have a favorite tonearm/cart combo for this TT?
  22. naive

the AR vs. Luxman pd 264

At 120e Maybe the AT 120E isn't that bad, seems like some people like it.
  23. naive

the AR vs. Luxman pd 264

AR tonearm with AT120 E Okay, so I was finally able to look at the AR. It has the AT 120E and from what I researched it's not that great, serious room for for improvement. Since I don't know anything about tonearms, I am unable to identify whats on there. It says AR on it.... Is it any good...
  24. naive

the AR vs. Luxman pd 264

Thanks Thanks!! Marc. I'll look to see what tone arm and cart the AR has and report back. I wouldn't be opposed to putting on a new arm to make it better. I've never used the AR because it might have a suspension issue, with thick vinyl it kinda bottoms out, grinds.... if that makes sense...
  25. naive

the AR vs. Luxman pd 264

Hello, I have a Luxman pd 264 w/sumiko black pearl and a "the AR turntable" w/unknown cart. I'm wanting to fix one up, upgrade and whatnot. Is one of these turntables better than the other? A better place to start from? Or are they serious junk, with little potential? They are both in great...
Back
Top Bottom